Why become a member? ×

A Pair of Foderas!

molan

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='885099' date='Jul 3 2010, 10:31 PM']How does the NYC compare to your Celinders?[/quote]

Funnily enough I'm sitting here right now playing the NYC against the Sadowsky & the red Celinder :)

The NYC is definitely the brightest of the three and has a real 'cutting edge' kinda tone. It has a passive treble roll off (as do both of the others) so it's easy to smooth this out if required. It's more modern & hi-fi sounding than the Celinder and I could imagine sounding great in the hands of someone (who's a far better player than I) in a modern jazz type scenario. That bright compressed sound with some bass boost would also sound great in a modern rock setting too as it would really cut through a mix I think.

The Sadowsky has that classic mid-scooped tone (although mine has the mid boost option as well). Probably a bit more lower end punch than the NYC but bear in mind I'm playing all three basses totally flat and the pre-amp on the NYC has both boost & cut for treble and bass as well as the passive roll off.

To my ears the Celinder is the most 'rounded' of the three and maybe the one that can get closet to the tones of each of the others. However this is obviously a really subjective view & my ears are far from perfect!

I don't think there's anything between them in build quality but when you get up to this kind of price level I guess you'd expect them to be pretty near perfect!

For reference I checked the US list price on them and my Will Lee would be $4,525 vs the NYC at $3,499 so there's $1,000 between them (although $200 of this is a fingerboard upgrade on the Will Lee). No idea how much an equivalent new Celinder might be these days!

Overall I ahve to say that I'm really impressed with the NYC. I've been trading a few emails with Jason the general manager at Fodera over in the USA via TalkBass & I think whatever niggles existed in the range are a thing of the past. They are all finished by the same team in New York that make all Foderas with the same sort of fanatical attention to detail :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky' post='885131' date='Jul 3 2010, 11:03 PM']Sorry Barry, not a patch on your gorgeous Alleva Willie Weeks :)[/quote]

Have you heard the WW in action?

It's not my favourite song but it looks great and the core bass tone is very nice:

Edited by molan

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='885233' date='Jul 4 2010, 08:50 AM']I'd part with a significant number of basses for that VW Monarch! :)[/quote]
If the myrtle topped might be one of them...(haha, I know that answer to that!)

Both Foderas look absolutely wonderful - these make me miss mine even more

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='885287' date='Jul 4 2010, 10:38 AM']so..........if they're not actually yours, who likes you or trusts you so much to leave them with you :lol:

haha[/quote]

Now that would be 'telling', lol.

All will be revealed fairly soon I think :)

And, in answer to Rayman, I extended my insurance a month or so ago to cover as many individual items as I want up to £3,500 each (so long as the total doesn't go over £50K!).

This wouldn't actually cover the Wooten but I've got a rider on the policy that covers me for two additional basses up to £6.5K - so far they haven't asked me to supply individual specs to I'm ok for now :rolleyes: