Why become a member? ×

Guitarist Tries To Play Bass

Pete Academy

I was in the shop today and was selling someone a bass rig. His guitarist was with him, and he asked him to play his bass while he fiddled with the tone controls on the amp. The guitarist widdled on the bass, then said he couldn't play something with strings that thick.

Says it all.

Viva la bass. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='865527' date='Jun 12 2010, 09:18 PM']I was in the shop today and was selling someone a bass rig. His guitarist was with him, and he asked him to play his bass while he fiddled with the tone controls on the amp. The guitarist widdled on the bass, then said he couldn't play something with strings that thick.

Says it all.

Viva la bass. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I was at a jam night recently when a guitarist got up to play House of the Rising Sun. Stumbled through the intro once or twice then announced to the room that he couldn't play it properly because he was used to a 12 string. :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='865528' date='Jun 12 2010, 09:24 PM']I was at a jam night recently when a guitarist got up to play House of the Rising Sun. Stumbled through the intro once or twice then announced to the room that he couldn't play it properly because he was used to a 12 string. :)[/quote]

:rolleyes:

ive seen loads of guitarists play the bass like its a guitar...but its a sign of a great musician who can adapt to an instrument, and play it the way it should be played...

was at a rehearsal recently, and some guys turned up...the one picked up my jazz and started strumming and tapping....he looked at me like he was expecting me to say..WOW...he just didnt understand the groove at all..

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='865528' date='Jun 12 2010, 09:24 PM']I was at a jam night recently when a guitarist got up to play House of the Rising Sun. Stumbled through the intro once or twice then announced to the room that he couldn't play it properly because he was used to a 12 string. :)[/quote]
Being a guitarist I take my hat off to the fella....hows your playing 12 string...I possibly am fortunate in being able to appreciate both scools :rolleyes:

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='866282' date='Jun 13 2010, 07:16 PM']A bloke whose lad has just returned from a guitar school in London told me his lad had been offered a job playing bass in a band. 'He'll find it easy, cos he's used to playing guitar.'

:)[/quote]

Has your lip recovered yet? Those bite marks must've hurt!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='866305' date='Jun 13 2010, 07:42 PM']Yep, I've heard "which is easier, guitar or bass?" to which I always reply the same thing, which is my honest opinion. "Bass is easier to get to a standard you could play in a band but as you progress it's harder to play the same thing on a bass than it would be a guitar." Or words to that effect.[/quote]

+1

Pretty much what I say to beginners. Generally if you want to get out and participative the bass is a good instrument for this, but there can be a significant 'while' moving from 'roots' to structured 'runs'.

I like this discussion and I find it intriguing. Let me share my experience.

I started playing about 5 yrs ago. My best mate who has been playing (6 string) for about 30 yrs was really excited, and has been/was really supportive (maybe in that one I am lucky!)

To start with he was giving me tips and helping me find my way 'round the fretboard etc. I have always been dumbstruck by his playing he can play some really impressive stuff. Recently he has bought one of my basses from me as he fell for it as soon as I acquired it.

Interestingly now when we jam, he will ask,

"jeez how do you stretch to those notes? I've tried that and I cant do it without making my hands hurt!"

Also try as he will he can't play finger style like we do, the other major point that he really apprecites is that he states in his own words......

"most guitarists can't keep time for toffee, and I kinda rely on your sense of rythym. Not many guitarists would admit that!"

The tables have turned to mutual respect. That is a really nice feeling.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='866324' date='Jun 13 2010, 07:58 PM']I like this discussion and I find it intriguing. Let me share my experience.

I started playing about 5 yrs ago. My best mate who has been playing (6 string) for about 30 yrs was really excited, and has been/was really supportive (maybe in that one I am lucky!)

To start with he was giving me tips and helping me find my way 'round the fretboard etc. I have always been dumbstruck by his playing he can play some really impressive stuff. Recently he has bought one of my basses from me as he fell for it as soon as I acquired it.

"jeez how do you stretch to those notes? I've tried that and I cant do it without making my hands hurt!"

Also try as he will he can't play finger style like we do, the other major point that he really apprecites is that he states in his own words......

"most guitarists can't keep time for toffee, and I kinda rely on your sense of rythym. Not many guitarists would admit that!"

The tables have turned to mutual respect. That is a really nice feeling.[/quote]

Good post. :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='866324' date='Jun 13 2010, 07:58 PM']I like this discussion and I find it intriguing. Let me share my experience.

The tables have turned to mutual respect. That is a really nice feeling.[/quote]

Indeed, tis an awesome feeling is it not?
Oh if only they would all rise up and realise why a band is called a band.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='866305' date='Jun 13 2010, 07:42 PM']Yep, I've heard "which is easier, guitar or bass?" to which I always reply the same thing, which is my honest opinion. "Bass is easier to get to a standard you could play in a band but as you progress it's harder to play the same thing on a bass than it would be a guitar." Or words to that effect.[/quote]
well as Harry hill would say "which is easier, guitar or bass?" well, theres only one way to find out!....yes....FFiiggh......
na, just tell 'em to fu#k off.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='866366' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:20 PM']If you want people to think you suck when you screw up play guitar. If you want people to think your whole band sucks when you screw up, play bass.[/quote]

Exactly.

Edited by Pete Academy

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='866366' date='Jun 13 2010, 08:20 PM']If you want people to think you suck when you screw up play guitar. If you want people to think your whole band sucks when you screw up, play bass.........[/quote]

......... or drums!

Actually very point, a band with a shonky g'tard or singer would attract a comment like 'Oh dear that ....... is pretty lame!"

A band with a shonky rythm section better have protective eyewear and helmets to avoid the flying bottles !