Why become a member? ×

I'm now GAS-free - MarkBass, Schroeder and Sansamp

Muzz

Well, it's been a long journey - into my fifth decade buying gear*, and after God knows how many rigs, from combos to the full SVT/8x10 nine yards, I'm finally done. I was after a single cab, light solution that would nevertheless keep up with a loud drummer up to the point where we'd both be going through the PA, and possibly beyond.

The LMIII has been done to death (in a good way) on here, so I won't go over old ground, other than to say I'd tried most of the other newer kit like the Orange head, the RH450s, etc, and it was the one for me. The 1515L is simply a revelation - it weighs 40lb, and produces an ENORMOUS sound. With the Sansamp pedal to warm things up ever further, I'm getting all the sound of the SVT rig (including volume) at a tiny fraction of the weight, size and cost. (IMHO - I do prefer 15s, YMMV, etc, before I get lynched... :) )

We played four gigs over the weekend at the Montrose Music Festival, and the rig was just perfect. At one of the gigs, the sound engineer was a very experienced guy, and when we first set up, he got the kit through the PA, and said he'd do the bass next. I said we could probably speed things up by not putting the bass through the PA, and he gave me a pitying look.
Five minutes later after we'd played a bit, he came back on stage, and said "Is that your rig there?"
I said yep, that's it (it was a small stage, so it was sitting under one of the guitar combos).
"And that's all of it, is it?".
Yep.
"Blimey".

The Schroeder is a 4 Ohm cab, I never got the LMIII past 9 o'clock on the volume, and we filled every venue with a ton of sound.

The Sansamp is the three channel programmable, which is very very useful for setting up three (four with it off) sounds of varying tonal warmth (up to a great overdriven sound) with a single pedal. That's as complicated as I like to get.

Can't recommend any element of this rig highly enough.

Just thought I'd share, in a giddy manner :rolleyes:

M

* Not quite as long as it sounds - started in 78...

[quote name='JMT3781' post='853554' date='Jun 1 2010, 01:44 PM']+1 on trying a 1515

I'm a little bit disappointed with my 1212L, i think i expected it to defy the laws of physics.
I am still trying to find a 2x12 with as much grunt as the genz benz neox 212 which was just a complete stunner[/quote]

I spent ages looking for the right 2x12. Its a difficult one, as the market has lots of options.

So far, I havent found anything better than the Aguilar DB 12s. Ive tried Berg, and they still werent quite up there with the DB.

Its not light, its pretty large, but its a seriously good one cab solution. The advantages are the casters that are removable, and the fact they look amazing and sound massive :)

Im stilll looking for a lightweight 2x12 that ticks all the boxes, 4 ohms, nice horn, etc. BUT, I havent found it yet.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='51m0n' post='853609' date='Jun 1 2010, 02:32 PM']Exactly which sansamp doo-hickey is it that you have?

They do a couple of programmable jobbies you see...[/quote]

It's the BDDI one. Had a Behringer one first, to see if it was what I was after (they're pretty much identical in operation/sound apart from the build quality and programmable bit), then went the whole hog.

Great piece of kit - here's a linky:

[url="http://www.basscentre.com/bass-effects/sansamp-bass-driver-di-programmable.html"]http://www.basscentre.com/bass-effects/san...ogrammable.html[/url]

[quote name='ezbass' post='853557' date='Jun 1 2010, 01:47 PM']Markbass + Schroeder = :)[/quote]

This is true! A lot of people have bad things to say about Schroeders but i love mine. My rig is currently on loan to a long-time Ashdown sufferer who's finding it a revelation, it's just a rig that works! The fact that it's lightweight, tiny and pretty cheap (my 1212r and LMII cost under £750 used) makes it a no-brainer

I'm well tempted to go Markbass + Schroeder 1212L. Apparently they sound middy as owt and I love mids.
Also been considering Markbass + Aguilar DB112. Anyone have comments on this?

Think i'll buy a LM2/3 first and see how it goes.

[quote name='Kohpnyn' post='855589' date='Jun 3 2010, 12:37 AM']I'm well tempted to go Markbass + Schroeder 1212L. Apparently they sound middy as owt and I love mids.[/quote]

It's not as extreme as all that. I use a pretty bassy sound and I'm happy with the sound I get from my 1212L. It won't overpower a room with low frequencies (all too easily done with some larger cabs, sure), which I'm happy about to be honest, but it doesn't sound like a mid hump either.

I very much like my 1212L. Lovely little cab, does pack a fair punch, but I wish it was 8ohm so I could put another one underneath. I mean, it's loud, sure, but it's not as loud as I'd like in a rock/punk band. If you really push the volume, you tend to have to roll back the lows a touch. Maybe a bigger box would help there, they are dinky.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Musicman20' post='853558' date='Jun 1 2010, 01:48 PM']I'm stilll looking for a lightweight 2x12 that ticks all the boxes, 4 ohms, nice horn, etc. BUT, I havent found it yet.[/quote]

Has anyone checked out the Barefaced Super Twelve?

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve"]http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve[/url]

I only ask because I haven't, yet...

A bit less popular i think, probably due to a recent ongoing quality control disaster.

Two lads local to me bought Schroeder setups last year and both had problems with them. I think there was a few on here with faulty speakers and badly built cabs too.
I think it's meant to be sorted out now though.

Mine's from an early run so i don't care!

[quote name='Wil' post='855712' date='Jun 3 2010, 09:28 AM']I very much like my 1212L. Lovely little cab, does pack a fair punch, but I wish it was 8ohm so I could put another one underneath. I mean, it's loud, sure, but it's not as loud as I'd like in a rock/punk band. If you really push the volume, you tend to have to roll back the lows a touch. Maybe a bigger box would help there, they are dinky.[/quote]

Lord above, how loud do you play? Either the 1515L is a lot louder than the 1212L, or my ears are duff, because I was standing next to our drummer (who hits 'em a bit), and I had the amp on "bugger all" (OK, less than 9 o'clock) and was easily loud enough - even at Montrose Town Hall, which is a big stage. One of the best things about the rig (and the part I was most paranoid about before I bought it) is the headroom. If I ever need to push this cab, I'll be playing far, far too loud, and the drummer will have exploded. IMHO, YMMV, God help your ears, etc, etc :)

On the box size, the 1515L is the same size as the 1212L, but it puts out a ton of bass. Maybe not bowel-loosening deeeeep bass, but with a Precision/Stingray/pick, it's tonally where I like to be. Ditto the lack of tweeter - I don't need one, YMMV, but there's plenty of zing for what I need. The dropped D on the Ray needed a touch of bass from the amp (forgot to mention, I run the LM flat on all EQ), but then it delivered in spades.

I'd have loved to have tried a Barefaced Super 12, but time was against us. On that subject, a big nod here to Alex, who was a gent while I was dithering (not entirely my fault, but the circumstances are far too dull to go into here), and had it not been for external pressures on me, I might well have had a Barefaced cab instead.