Why become a member? ×

Japcrap goes Banzai FINISHED!!!!

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='858711' date='Jun 6 2010, 10:59 AM']Cheers man, should really sort out my photography though.

Any knobs yet?[/quote]

Nope, 'fraid not. As said I got myself sorted out but it's still annoying that it became one of the increasingly common packages that Royal Mail didn't fancy delivering

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='858714' date='Jun 6 2010, 11:03 AM']Nope, 'fraid not. As said I got myself sorted out but it's still annoying that it became one of the increasingly common packages that Royal Mail didn't fancy delivering[/quote]

Indeed I have to follow it up.

On brighter news

FINISHED!!!!!

[quote name='Clarky' post='858850' date='Jun 6 2010, 01:16 PM']Would look great as a re-fin in sunburst :lol:

Seriously, thats a really nice job you've dome there Wayne - you obviously have a talent and should start doing this as a money-making sideline[/quote]

Ah Sunburst my fave, cheers dude.

[quote name='Lylodile' post='858873' date='Jun 6 2010, 01:45 PM']The only instance where a clear scratchplate is justified :lol:. Great work dude![/quote]

I was going to paint the original plate but though this would look better.

[quote name='ahpook' post='858875' date='Jun 6 2010, 01:49 PM']hey - tidy bit of work there...admittedly not to my taste (it's not black !), but good stuff....

so which bass is currently quivering with fear in case you get bored ? :)[/quote]

I have a Yamaha that is getting the red treatment soon.
[quote name='JackLondon' post='858902' date='Jun 6 2010, 02:35 PM']Wayne I reckon you should get a custom plate with LEDs in it for aurora project. It would look cool :rolleyes:[/quote]

LEDs would be awesome.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='859162' date='Jun 6 2010, 07:07 PM']The Suns are in the wrong places. The body one needs to be on the lower horn, as your arm will be covering it while playing and the headstock needs to be at the E string tuning peg hole.
Now rub it down and start again.[/quote]

As you say boss.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='853080' date='May 31 2010, 10:44 PM']Right masking tape is off there has been a little bleed but nothing that can't be cut in, also in this pic it looks like the paint has bubbled it hasn't it's just a trick of the light but I could only take one picture as the battery ran out.
[/quote]

A trick that might prevent the bleed through is to spray with the base colour again after you've taped it... that should seal the edge and any bleed through will be the right colour... or am I missing something?

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='dlloyd' post='859376' date='Jun 6 2010, 09:57 PM']A trick that might prevent the bleed through is to spray with the base colour again after you've taped it... that should seal the edge and any bleed through will be the right colour... or am I missing something?[/quote]

That's a good shout, I'll try that next time.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='859376' date='Jun 6 2010, 09:57 PM']A trick that might prevent the bleed through is to spray with the base colour again after you've taped it... that should seal the edge and any bleed through will be the right colour... or am I missing something?[/quote]

To avoid bleed there's a couple of things to try.
- Automotive masking tape, or cut a stencil and firmly spray mount it in place, rather than normal masking.
- lot's of thin coats from your cans, if the coats are really thin then the paint will dry almost instantly and thus not 'pour' under the tape
- to keep the coats nice and consistent place your can in a bowl of warm water first for about 10 mins to gently heat it (thanks Dave Perry)
- experiment with different caps, my favorite are pink dots for this sort of work, wide coverage and slightly lower pressure

Hope that's helpful :)

PS I love the Japanese style design.

hey I have exactly this bass (still natural though) with exactly that headstock crack. gotta love that short(ish) scale loveliness. does yours have the original pickup with adjustable hex head poles? I managed to pull a couple of wires out of the back of my pickup and can't work out where to solder them back! don't suppose you could peer under that perspex plate of yours and let me know what colour wire goes where?
I bought mine 18 years ago for 50 quid. it has been thoroughly abused, thrown across stages smashed into ampsetc and still survives. I continue to cling to the delusion that the matsumoku stamp on the neckplate will make it worth something one day!

[quote name='gilmour' post='860577' date='Jun 8 2010, 12:07 AM']To avoid bleed there's a couple of things to try.
- Automotive masking tape, or cut a stencil and firmly spray mount it in place, rather than normal masking.
- lot's of thin coats from your cans, if the coats are really thin then the paint will dry almost instantly and thus not 'pour' under the tape
- to keep the coats nice and consistent place your can in a bowl of warm water first for about 10 mins to gently heat it (thanks Dave Perry)
- experiment with different caps, my favorite are pink dots for this sort of work, wide coverage and slightly lower pressure

Hope that's helpful :)

PS I love the Japanese style design.[/quote]

Cheers for the advice mate, I'm nowhere near where I want to be so any advice is gladly taken.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='854208' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:53 PM']Cut it the lines still need to do the edges.[/quote]

Wayne, some advice for cutting the lines and edges in future:

Re-mask up.

There's a couple of bits there where you've touched up with the white enamel and gone slightly into the red, I've found that if you mask off the opposite colour (ie, in this guitar, you'd mask off the red areas) when you touch up, you stand a much better chance of keeping a fine edge.

Food for thought and it's only a fine finishing detail, you sure as hell won't see it if you're looking up towards a stage.

Nice striking design, and I do rather like painted headstock :)

[quote name='holio.cornolio' post='860634' date='Jun 8 2010, 06:00 AM']hey I have exactly this bass (still natural though) with exactly that headstock crack. gotta love that short(ish) scale loveliness. does yours have the original pickup with adjustable hex head poles? I managed to pull a couple of wires out of the back of my pickup and can't work out where to solder them back! don't suppose you could peer under that perspex plate of yours and let me know what colour wire goes where?
I bought mine 18 years ago for 50 quid. it has been thoroughly abused, thrown across stages smashed into ampsetc and still survives. I continue to cling to the delusion that the matsumoku stamp on the neckplate will make it worth something one day![/quote]

I'll have a butchers for you later mate.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='865381' date='Jun 12 2010, 05:34 PM']Good results! Got some questions, though:

1. Can you tell me what primer you used ( the product)?

2. Did you spray the primer on the original finish or did you take that off first?

3. What paint did you use?

4. Was there a final finish?[/quote]

1. Super Primer by Plastikote

2. Took the original finish off.

3. Plastikote enamel

4. I lacquered it but I haven't got the exact can with me will update you as to what exactly it is.