Why become a member? ×

Fretless Vigier

mcgraham

I've put in an order for a fretless Vigier in fireburst just like the one below (sans matching headstock)...
[attachment=50538:5292.jpg]
No, this is not a bass. Yes, I am crazy. Specs are exactly the same as those [url="http://www.htd-uk.com/page/fiche_produit.php?id_prod=256&marque_post=Vigier&onglet=description"]listed here[/url]. Build time would be 5 months or so, but this one happens to be in stock! I am very excited about this particular instrument (particularly as it will now be an imminent delivery). Just wanted to share the joy.

Edited by mcgraham

Zappa certainly used a fretless guitar about 40 years ago. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fretless_guitar#Famous_users"]Wikipedia[/url] lists some more fretless guitar widdlers.

Anyway, I'm interested to see the outcome of this build, and [i]really[/i] interested in hearing clips when it arrives. Metal board on a fretless guitar must sound unique!

I love the expressiveness of the guitar, and I love the expressiveness and challenge of the fretless bass. Just with the background of fretless bass, I sometimes find myself a little limited by the frets. I'm also masochistic and enjoy making things harder for myself than necessary :)

It is indeed delta metal. Delta metal is an alloy, and, with some creative google searching, you can find the relative proportions of the different metal that make it up (at least for the official metallurgical meaning of 'delta metal' which may not be the same as the 'delta metal' term used by Vigier).

The only reason it doesn't look shiny is because of the angle of the guitar means there's no discernible reflections on the fingerboard. I can assure you it is delta metal.

Edited by mcgraham

[url="http://chestofbooks.com/reference/Henley-s-20th-Century-Formulas-Recipes-Processes-Vol1/Delta-Metal.html"]For example...[/url]

DISCLAIMER: I am not, nor claim to be, a metallurgist or have any speciality in this area. This is just an example of the term 'delta metal' having a wider known meaning than just 'Vigier's special fingerboard'.

Excellent, I'm looking forward to seeing this. I have had a quick go on one and really enjoyed it. FWIW I remember talking to Patrice about it and I'm pretty sure he said Delta Metal was largely a mixture of copper and nickel?

Funnily enough I polished my delta metal bass yesterday and now it's shiny as a mirror again!

Looking forward to hearing your experiences. I have recorded a fair bit with mine, will you be able to do us some sound clips?

ped

pat Metheny plays fretless guitar on some albums. I always assumed it was some synrh treatment until I read the album sleeve more carefully.
It's a nice sound for solos. I wouldn't like to try playing full chords though, I have enough trouble intonating one note on the bass....