Why become a member? ×

NEW Squier Classic Vibe Salmon Pink P!!!

doctor_of_the_bass

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='845329' date='May 22 2010, 08:43 PM']loved the one we had in - I was stood with WaynePunkDude on the day it came in, and a guy had it the same heartbeat it was put on a stand. Waiting for more to arrive![/quote]

He didn't try for long either, it was just gone.

[quote name='bh2' post='845192' date='May 22 2010, 04:53 PM']Tell me more? You mean Fiesta red?[/quote]

Squier website definitely defines it as Fiesta Red, and very awesome it looks indeed.

On the subject of this colour, and just for fun, here's an extract from Bruce Thomas interview re Fiesta Red/Salmon Pink.

"Fender News: You’re a die-hard Precision guy. What’s the story behind your Precision basses and what is it about them that grabs you?
Bruce Thomas: The first bass I ever bought was a salmon pink Precision Bass like the one that I’d seen Jet Harris playing with the Shadows when I was a small boy. As an aside to this, there seems to be some confusion as to whether Fender ever did a custom color called Salmon Pink or Coral Pink; the accepted view is that these colors were just faded versions of Fiesta Red. Anyway, to my mind Jet Harris’s bass didn’t look red—and neither did the one that I bought for the princely sum of £50.

When I turned pro and moved to London, I went through a spell of a couple of years changing my bass almost every month. I settled with a Fender Mustang® for a couple of years until I bought another Precision. I had this bass re-sprayed just after I joined the Attractions in 1978, at Andy’s Guitar Shop in Denmark Street in London. I specifically asked him to spray it “Salmon Pink, not Fiesta Red.” "

According to a number of internet sources Fender never had a salmon or coral pink colour in the catalogue,, it was thought to be faded fiesta red, as red colours suffered badly from fading in the sun.

Most fender colours were derived from GM car paints and there is a article about vintage fender paints etc at [url="http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html"]http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html[/url]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='846074' date='May 23 2010, 09:57 PM']He didn't try for long either, it was just gone.[/quote]

Yup, that was me! :)

I had serious GAS for it and just had to buy it.

Great bass for the money and it looks the business. Even the missus was impressed!

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='846263' date='May 24 2010, 09:39 AM']I was under the impression that,the UK distributers at the time,Selmer ? re-sprayed a lot of Fender basses at the time,because the custom colours were hard to come by,and the colour turned out slightly pink instead of fiesta red.[/quote]

This is the story I have heard - the Salmon pink colour was not a standard US Fender color (sp!) and due to the popularity for fiesta red, they sprayed a lot of instruments and the colour was more pink than red! Comparing the new bass to my original fiesta red '83 JV Precision, its a different colour! The name of said colour does not really matter to me - it just screams `Jet Harris 1961' at me!!!!

I totally love mine, never before have I enjoyed playing a Precision so much as I do with this Squier one. There is a short review in this month's Guitarist and they give it top marks. Goes to show that a quality instrument doesn't necessarily need to cost top bucks.

+100000000000

[quote name='gafbass02' post='848154' date='May 26 2010, 07:49 AM']How are you getting along with the Zoom?[/quote]

The zoom, me? Oh.. don't use it much, to be honest it's just a toy, has some nice sounds which I only use it to mock about recording various tracks, but when I gig, I only ever use a compressors. When playing "real man's basslines" I don't like effects much. Nothing sounds real or natural through the zoom so it slightly puts me off. One man's meat and all that...