Why become a member? ×

What Lay Beneath... 1988 Wal refinish results

Mokl

My 5 string Wal Mach II from May `88. It was refinished in the 90`s in black poly by a previous owner, although the control cavity informed me that it originally had schedua facings.

I finally decided to take the plunge and sent it to Paul Herman for a strip down and refinish. I was a little nervous, not having any idea what it would look like underneath, but I was confident that Paul would make something decent of it even if he found horrible repairs or marks.

About 12 weeks later I got the bass back, and I was amazed with how it turned out!

Needless to say I'm very happy with the result. I also asked Paul to slightly shave the neck down and finish it in satin as opposed to gloss. I'm glad I did, it feels great.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='842955' date='May 20 2010, 11:37 AM']Result!

Looks like new now, whoever chose to paint it black needs a stern talking to methinks![/quote]

That's excellent Matt !!!
So glad you stuck with it and i bet you are too now!!
probably sounds better too now without all the lacquer/paint?
Bet you were wondering/dreading what'd be under the black :)
yeah the guy that finished it black i think may of been influenced by geddy or maybe newstead from metallica ,it was done in the 90's.
nice sap lines in middle and headstock looks about a thousand times cooler now too with the proper logo!!
Is one of the last few signed by Ian about a month before he sadly passed away iirc.
looks great!!

Only reason I could think that one would refinish a Wal in black is because they are a Metallica or Jason Newsted fan and they really wanted to have the bass from the "One" video.

I once contemplated painting a natural Wal fiver black for this very reason but don't tell anyone. :)

Thanks for all the comments. To be fair it didn't look bad in black, I was just keen to see what was underneath and get the bass fully up together. Plus, I have always wanted a schedua-topped Wal, so I just couldn't resist getting it done forever.

I don't know if the refinish has affected the tone, although it definitely sounds richer than it did before. This could be due to different strings, Paul re-setting the pickup heights, anything I guess. Gigged it last night and I couldn't be happier with the sound - it always had a nice low mid growl, but it seems fuller across the whole frequency spectrum, if that makes any sense?