Why become a member? ×

How can a fretless (or Fret Less (sic)) have a fretboard

Sorry, but for an expensive item such as this, you'd like to think the details were correct - or am I just being picky as I can't afford it :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-NEW-FRETLESS-G-L-L2000-USA-BASS-GUITAR-EBONY-/320522541933?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4aa0a1db6d"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-NEW-FRETLESS-G-...=item4aa0a1db6d[/url]

Though, a matchbox is still a matchbox when it hasn't got any matches in it
A milk bottle is still a milk bottle when it hasn't got any milk in it
A mouse trap is still a mouse trap when it hasn't caught a mouse
Why can't a fretboard be a fretboard when it doesn't have any frets in it? Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='838456' date='May 15 2010, 09:26 PM']See that black plank glued to the front of the maple neck? It's called a fretboard. :ph34r:[/quote]

Like on a violin or double bass? Surely without frets it is called a fingerboard.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='838476' date='May 15 2010, 09:51 PM']Given that there is no verb "to pedant", one can be neither "pedanted" nor "out-pedanted".[/quote]

...too much pedantry for me...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='838476' date='May 15 2010, 09:51 PM']Given that there is no verb "to pedant", one can be neither "pedanted" nor "out-pedanted".[/quote]

How do you know there is no verb "to pedant"? English is a living language, and dictionaries etc. only reflect the language, they do not define it. So, if people are using the words "pedanted" or "out-pedanted", then they exist. A google search for "out-pedanted" gives "about 2140 results". Personally I believe you are suffering from pedantophobia.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I think the explanation is obvious.

A fret (noun) is a piece of metal on the front of the neck of a stringed instrument that determines pitch of each note

To fret (verb) a note is to apply pressure to a string at the appropriate point in order to shorten/lengthen the vibrating string and increase/decrease the pitch accordingly.

The term fretboard on bass is, therefore, so called because of the fretting (verb) action that takes place and NOT because of the frets (noun) that may or may not be present depending on the model of bass in question.

I rest my case so you can now stop fretting (different verb) :)

it also has fretlines in the 'fretboard'

although, to be a true pendant - he described it as having 'ghost lines'

to me light fretlines in a dark fretboard are not ghost lines... they are fretlines

Ghost lines are where you use a similar coloured wood for the lines so the player can see them but they become less visable from a few feet

rosewood lines in an ebony board or pearwood in a maple board are good examples of ghost lines

i did this a few years ago with mostly pearwood lines with (1cm of walnut on the bass side to make sure the player can see them) for a mix of ghost and partial fretlines (although the bass is now fretted)

Edited by wezv

[quote name='Bilbo' post='840752' date='May 18 2010, 12:34 PM']To fret (verb) a note is to apply pressure to a string at the appropriate point in order to shorten/lengthen the vibrating string and increase/decrease the pitch accordingly.[/quote]

I thought the more correct term would be 'stop' on a non-fretted instrument, as in 'double stop'.