Why become a member? ×

a question for our resident Fender experts.

artisan

many years ago,about 1992 or 1993,i bought an American standard Jazz bass & to this day i've not seen another like it,at least not in the flesh.
i'v done a little web search about this & found all American standard basses built between 1989 to approx' 1993 where the same--yet i've never seen one,in any colour finnish anywhere.
the bass in question is often called a "Long Horn" or even a "Boner bass" due to it's somewhat extended top horn (or bout if you like)
it also has 22 frets instead of the usual 20 frets of a "typical Jazz bass,which also means it has a slightly deeper lower cut away to allow access to said extra frets.
one net source said it should have a "TBX" tone control yet i don't remember my bass having anything but normal Jazz bass controls (this is definately not a Jazz bass deluxe btw),mind i'm getting on a bit now.
it was finished in a colour called "Caribbean Mist" which is a lovely turquoise metalic sort of colour,i've not seen any other Fender bass in this colour come to think of it.

i only had this bass a short time,6 months or so,then had to sell it to one my freinds as my car needed urgent repairs & this was the only thing of any value that i owned,i was gutted :)
i tried many times over the following years to buy this bass back but he refused to part with it (old sod) but just today i saw him for the first time in a few years & one of his first lines was "do you still want to buy your old bass back".
now he's not skint by any means,unlike yours truly,so he won't give this away for bugger all but i'm not certain how much to offer him for it.
he told me he let someone borrow this a few years ago & it came back in almost unplayable condition & he's pretty certain the cretin in question totally dismantled the bass as he planned on making his own custom from scratch & wanted to see how to put one together.

so the point of all the drivel above is,how much is this bass worth & do any of you own one like it,
cheers
art'

Edited by artisan

Probably be helpful to know the price he gave you for it, the price you paid for it, and how 'unplayable' it is. It might just need a good setup, but don't tell him that.

if indeed it is 'unplayable' and most probably damaged then it should be worth a lot less than what you sold it for, but I would definatly snap it up.

Taken a newish used US standard jazz price of up to 650, and depending how used it is, just be cheecky and offer as little as possible.

Howard the Bass Doc had a Boner up for sale here last year:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49667"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49667[/url]

£450 was the price. Don't know if that's what it went for, and I don't know how it compares condition-wise, but there's a ballpark figure.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='835848' date='May 13 2010, 06:16 AM']Howard the Bass Doc had a Boner up for sale here last year:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49667"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49667[/url]

£450 was the price. Don't know if that's what it went for, and I don't know how it compares condition-wise, but there's a ballpark figure.[/quote]

Yep it did indeed sell for £450.00. The feeling at the time was that it was not as desireable as the standard shaped Jazz.

The electrics were normal spec.as I recall. It had been re-sprayed, fairly well, and was a good player.

I haven't experienced many 'boners' since, but then I am quite old. :)

Edited by The Bass Doc

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='835866' date='May 13 2010, 08:13 AM']Yep it did indeed sell for £450.00. The feeling at the time was that it was not as desireable as the standard shaped Jazz.

The electrics were normal spec.as I recall. It had been re-sprayed, fairly well, and was a good player.

I haven't experienced many 'boners' since, but then I am quite old. :)[/quote]

classic :lol:

thanks for the replies guys,i've not actually seen the bass as yet but it should arrive today or tomorrow with a bit of luck.
from memory i sold it for about £400.00,but that was 16 years ago, so i'm going to make my opening offer about £300.00 & see what happens.
if it just needs a good setup i can easily do that myself,but i will suggest it needs major surgery,as mentioned above,as my buddy knows almost nothing about basses :rolleyes:
i'll let you know how it goes & post some photo's once i get my hands on it,that is as long as it does arrive as my mate is a bit of a billy bull sh*tt*r.

my boner is fretless
the extended upper horn greatly improves balance
this the only Fender I've owned or played without neck dive
it is relatively heavy bass

electronics are normal
but there is the P Plus version
which also had a dicky bridge (fine tuner)

they can get some good coin stateside particularly around desirability of color
the part I don't like on mine is the tuners they are a bit 'slippy' if that is a describing word

there is one of those Big Ass threads about them on TalkBass

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612785&highlight=boner"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.p...highlight=boner[/url]

now that should link to a hopefully useful thread
and true is last post about tone control indent
not that I ever use it and to check my one had it
IrvNZ had a boner P with the fine tuner bridge

Dave Gibbons art?
Martha Washington remains a comic history highlight

slightly more on topic
I think the build on the Long horn is better than my'71
the neck join for one is a million tines better
in fact the construction of the Banana is very good. High quality.
without starting a flame war this is not always the case with mass produced instruments I have played/seen.

ok here's a quick update re my boner :)

my "mate" still hasn't appeared with said bass,infact i'm wondering if he even has this bass at all,as he's not answering my phone calls now-the twat.

so i've totally binned the idea as i can't stand being messed about & bought a Fender road worn P bass to go with my Jazz & an totally loving it,i guess i'll just have to do without my boner :rolleyes: .

Edited by artisan