Why become a member? ×

OMG- I think I've just bought something special!!

Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='90817' date='Nov 19 2007, 02:07 PM']Bugger

This bass is presently being auctioned on eBay. Is this ethical? I was going to bid for it too :)

Over 5 days to run and at least 18 bids.

Peter[/quote]

Sorry Peter. I didn't know it was on Ebay. I thought it was one of those "Car Boot Sale" moments where nobody else had noticed it (apart from the guy I was bidding against).

I'm happy to give you first refusal if I don't get on with it.

It's not your fault at all :)

I just think that if a company are selling something on eBay like this and when there is a huge response that to pull it when someone walks into the shop and buys it is not really ethical.

Cash Converters, ethical? Nuff said really :huh:

I would happily of invested that in a BIN scenario, with investment being the operative word here.

It looks stunning, just needs a Silver Tolex case and all the'candy'. Mega congratulations.

I'll take you up on that 1st refusal!

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='90817' date='Nov 19 2007, 02:07 PM']Bugger

This bass is presently being auctioned on eBay. Is this ethical? I was going to bid for it too :)

Over 5 days to run and at least 18 bids.

Peter[/quote]

"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

"A bird in the hand" I guess ...

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='90826' date='Nov 19 2007, 02:21 PM']It looks stunning, just needs a Silver Tolex case and all the'candy'. Mega congratulations.[/quote]

Oh that stuff will all probably turn up in Cash Converters Norwood in a few weeks time ..

Well at least a BC good guy got it rather than the other person in the shop, or some collector who won't play it ...

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='90706' date='Nov 19 2007, 10:39 AM']If this Riccy plays like any of the other Riccy's I 've had in the past, it's going to be a short love affair. I've never got on with them. However, just to say I owned a Chris Squire for a short period of time is a good thing.

I'm going for a lie down now, but Pics to follow.[/quote]
A Rick is the only other bass I've tried that I did get on with. Twould be boring if we were all made the same... Anyhows, nice work Old Horse and not a little courageous. Right, now where did the wife put her foundation, I can't go around looking green [i]all[/i] day.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='90901' date='Nov 19 2007, 03:56 PM']You lot are going to get me in to so much trouble at home...[/quote]

Good on you.

It's a good bass, you'll get a decent return on it if you sit on it and hang on for a while. I had one of the 4 lefties ever made and sold it to a Yes collector about 5 years ago. It didn't sound any different to my 4001v63 though. Ric signature guitars hold their value, and will go for more if you have the tags etc. As I type I am selling a lefty 360/12v64 to a collector Chicago, and that is not even a signature guitar... but all I will say is I will get a good return on it despite selling it for less that what I can get if I flog it on the bay.

FYI, there were 1000 4001CS 's made, and 4 were lefty. The most elusive of all signature models, and the one that fetches the best prices (averaging $10K USD) is the Susanna Hoffs model.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='90925' date='Nov 19 2007, 04:31 PM']Good on you.

It's a good bass, you'll get a decent return on it if you sit on it and hang on for a while. I had one of the 4 lefties ever made and sold it to a Yes collector about 5 years ago. It didn't sound any different to my 4001v63 though. Ric signature guitars hold their value, and will go for more if you have the tags etc. As I type I am selling a lefty 360/12v64 to a collector Chicago, and that is not even a signature guitar... but all I will say is I will get a good return on it despite selling it for less that what I can get if I flog it on the bay.

FYI, there were 1000 4001CS 's made, and 4 were lefty. The most elusive of all signature models, and the one that fetches the best prices (averaging $10K USD) is the Susanna Hoffs model.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I always fancied the Susanna Hoffs model (in more ways than one!)

It's a shame it doesn't come with the case and candy and I think I've got a really mission to find them separately from the bass. Still, in my opinion I've got the important part in my possession.

I'm really looking forward to trying it out tomorrow, but if I do keep it, it will definitely have to be for using rather than keeping it safe. Because of that, I'm not sure I'll be the right person to keep this long-term. We'll see though.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='90901' date='Nov 19 2007, 03:56 PM']You lot are going to get me in to so much trouble at home...[/quote]
When you flog it (sounds like you're bound to really!), for god's sake make sure you give her a good chunk of the profits to buy herself something nice/sparkly/with heels. :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='90928' date='Nov 19 2007, 04:39 PM']Thanks for the info. I always fancied the Susanna Hoffs model (in more ways than one!)

It's a shame it doesn't come with the case and candy and I think I've got a really mission to find them separately from the bass. Still, in my opinion I've got the important part in my possession.

I'm really looking forward to trying it out tomorrow, but if I do keep it, it will definitely have to be for using rather than keeping it safe. Because of that, I'm not sure I'll be the right person to keep this long-term. We'll see though.[/quote]

Cool. A note about selling Ricks... you may need to be patient to sell it at the asking price, and you may have to alert the non musos. My CS went to a fella in the US who doesn't play at all, just someone who collects Yes paraphernalia.

[quote name='Rich' post='90929' date='Nov 19 2007, 04:41 PM']When you flog it (sounds like you're bound to really!), for god's sake make sure you give her a good chunk of the profits to buy herself something nice/sparkly/with heels. :)[/quote]

The way I look at it, as long as I cover the initial outlay I'm in the clear. Anything I make on top, well.....it could go towards a deposit for something else (thanks for the ideas Old Git!!)

and maybe some flowers for the Mrs!! :huh:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='91796' date='Nov 20 2007, 08:37 PM']Wasn't a thin neck one of the specific requests of Chris Squire? Do you think you've made much on the deal? Nice score, Sir if you did! :)[/quote]

It certainly was a requirement of CS, but I guess you never know how thin until you try!! It's verrry fast and feels a million miles from my P-Bass.

I've done a bit of research and I think it's worth around £2K, so I'd make a bit on it. A few people have suggested holding on to it until the $ strengthens.

I might just do that...just for a while you understand

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='90925' date='Nov 19 2007, 04:31 PM']Good on you.

FYI, there were 1000 4001CS 's made, and 4 were lefty. The most elusive of all signature models, and the one that fetches the best prices (averaging $10K USD) is the Susanna Hoffs model.[/quote]

MB1. :)
For that sort of money i want Susanna Hoffs with it, for the night at least ......delivered to the door! :huh:

MB1. :)

Mr Murphy you sly old dude!...... we were but talking about a Rickenbacker on this very forum not so long ago!.I saw this on the bay,it is a very nice looking Rickenbacker,shame i dont have the spare cash for that one.... to visit Manchester.This is a Much sort after model as Rickenbacker dont have that many endorsees,Chris Squire being the most famous one!,not sure Bruce Foxton has a signature model. I reckon this has been pawned and not collected,the cash convertors have become a lot more strict these days, with what they take in.As for the purchase,if id had the money looking in the window at it, id have bought it too, as rare as! so you shouldnt feel too guilty ,keep hold of it , and if you do decide its not for you???????????

[quote name='OldGit' post='91818' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:05 PM']She's 77 now you know :)[/quote]

MB1. :huh:

Seen her not so long ago! far from 77, rah rah skirt ,the same butter wouldnt melt look!
youd still want to make her "walk like an Egyptian".......... trust me! :huh:

[quote name='MB1' post='91838' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:27 PM']MB1. :)

Seen her not so long ago! far from 77, rah rah skirt ,the same butter wouldnt melt look!
youd still want to make her "walk like an Egyptian".......... trust me! :huh:[/quote]

Damn I was hoping you weren't going to be serious competition but I see my attempts to deflect you have come to naught!