Why become a member? ×

What pickup in Road Worn Precision?

cameltoe

Having put a deposit down on a Road Worn Precision just the other week, and read many good reviews since, I picked up on the fact that people were not sure what pickup was used in the Road Worn series basses, knowing only that it didn't seem like a MIM Pickup.

Well, I emailed Fender to find out. Here's their reply:

[b]RE: Road Worn 50's Precision Bass
To: Will <chesto@com> [/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thanks for writing in. That pickup is the same thing as an American Standard pickup. We use it in our 50’s Precision Bass out of Mexico as well. I hope this will help you out.

Best Regards,

Jeff Krause

Fender Musical Instruments Corporation

Consumer Relations Department

8860 E. Chaparral Rd. Suite 100

Scottsdale, AZ 85250

480-596-7195

[email protected]

So there you go. Apparently they use American Standard pickups in the Road Worn Precision.

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='Musicman20' post='827994' date='May 4 2010, 10:53 PM']Yep, I think this helps with the nice tone of the RW series, and I should hope so at the price!

Pics up when you get it, I do like how theyve done these basses.[/quote]

Pics up as soon as, but may still be a while yet as it's supposed to be a birthday present for July......

I wonder what the rest of the wiring is like? I've no idea if there is a difference between quality of electronics between USA and Mexican Precisions, but it would be nice if all the electrics were upgraded. Otherwise I may do it myself.

[quote name='BurritoBass' date='May 4 2010, 10:30 PM']Doesn't surprise me at all. My 2006 anniversary P-bass (USA) had the 62ri pup in it which I thought was a nice touch.[/quote]
I wonder if my 60th anniversary MIM standard has a different pickup in it? It's always seemed quite punchy.

Edited by cameltoe

[quote name='cameltoe' post='828494' date='May 5 2010, 02:55 PM']I wonder what the rest of the wiring is like? I've no idea if there is a difference between quality of electronics between USA and Mexican Precisions, but it would be nice if all the electrics were upgraded. Otherwise I may do it myself.[/quote]

I bought a RW jazz on saturday & if your precision is anything like my jazz (which i'm shure it will be) you'll have no reason to upgrade anything at all.
it is without doubt the very best passive jazz bass i have ever played (& i have played an aweful lot of them) & from now on is my number one bass.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='827959' date='May 4 2010, 10:11 PM']Thanks for writing in. That pickup is the same thing as an American Standard pickup. We use it in our 50’s Precision Bass out of Mexico as well. I hope this will help you out.[/quote]

Having played a Classic 50s and a RW back to back it's amazing how different they sound with the RW really sounding old school and the Classic sounding like a modern P. Must be down to the choice of body timber and the finish.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='929977' date='Aug 19 2010, 04:18 PM']They are the same pickups as the MIM 50s/60s versions, eg a MIM pickup. I wondered what was in it, asked Fender UK and USA, and they both said MIM.[/quote]

I've a 2009 MIM Pbass, pick ups not so loud, but the tone is up there with anything else i've heard in the P camp

[quote]I wonder if my 60th anniversary MIM standard has a different pickup in it? It's always seemed quite punchy.[/quote]

In the brochure fender put it down as an american standard pickup, but someone posted an email on another forum from fender saying it was actually a MIM. Either way i changed mine to a set of lindy fralin pups and its completely enhanced the bass and i now wouldnt swap it for anything :)