Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky NYC Ultra Vintage PJ

Legion

How indeed, I thought I was pretty sorted with my Tony Franklin and CS Pino Palladino...

I do admit that I still had the desire for a bass that could do a very modern sort of tone but having tried a Sandberg PM4 and Sadowsky Metro (Jazz & PJ) I knew that although both were very nice, neither was ticking all the boxes. So what I had really concluded was if I wanted the things I liked in a Sadowsky it would have to be a NYC. I pretty much left it at that not wanting to fork out that sort of cash for a custom order and not expecting to see anything second hand.

Erm...then I looked on Talkbass one day and saw a NYC UVPJ4. I decided life was too short, and they were too rare. So I bought it.

Then waited bloody ages while Iceland ruined life for everybody and my bass wandered the globe looking for me. I finally got it Monday and took a little time to give it a clean and put on some DR high beams (after trying TI flats which let this bass do a very good impersonation of my Pino). I also took a little wire wool to the neck to restore the satin finish as it had gone a bit shiny/sticky up top.

Thoughts so far:

Lovely bit of Ash with nice subtle flamey look in the grain
Quality is outstanding, as ever with Sadowskys
Neck profile is spot on for a vintage P bass
Weighs in at 7lbs 14oz and is perfectly balanced. Bonus.
Oh, and just happens to sound great as well :)

Heres a few photos to prove its existence
[attachment=48356:PICT0131.jpg]
[attachment=48357:PICT0130.jpg]
[attachment=48358:PICT0127.jpg]
[attachment=48359:PICT0129.jpg]

[quote name='Toasted' post='821652' date='Apr 28 2010, 10:58 AM']Nice bass. I know how well it will play, and how great it will sound too.[/quote]

Just been to the studio for a couple of days and you are right about that one - it had a lovely chunky woody sort of sound. Although I have to admit that I need to further refine my technique a bit as its so sensitive :)

Nice on Jase, that's a hell of a bass. I think my Metro P/J was one of the best playing and sounding basses I've owned, so I've no doubt yours is something pretty special. Great when a new bass forces you to step up technique-wise isn't it!

Enjoy it

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='825334' date='May 2 2010, 09:35 AM']Great when a new bass forces you to step up technique-wise isn't it![/quote]
Certainly is a bit of a wake up call to hear all the extra noises you can make when DI'd and trying to play as clean as possible. I have tweaked the action back up a little already actually, never have been comfy with ultra-low strings. Just been round the houses trying out all the different strings I've got laying around...then ended up back with the Hi-Beams. Guess it's just that sorta bass :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='826419' date='May 3 2010, 01:13 PM']Only a matter of time[/quote]
Somehow missed all this - well I never knew people paid so much attention to my sig!

Erm.. I sort of sold it. Then erm... I sort of unsold it and therefore owe Clarky some beers and curry next time I'm in London. I've just taken the Sadowsky out of my sig while I think about what I'm doing :) EDIT: back in for a long term trial period...

Edited by Legion

hey, you finally got it! Congrats!

It looks even better in your pictures. The more I see it the more I think that your body might be from the same blank/tree than the body on my NYC UV PJ4. The birds eye maple fingerboard is also very nice.

Now we have two unique pieces on this side of the pond. :)

[quote name='Fran Diaz' post='835262' date='May 12 2010, 01:31 PM']hey, you finally got it! Congrats!

It looks even better in your pictures. The more I see it the more I think that your body might be from the same blank/tree than the body on my NYC UV PJ4. The birds eye maple fingerboard is also very nice.

Now we have two unique pieces on this side of the pond. :)[/quote]
Thanks Fran (especially as you played a part in finding the bass for the previous owner?) you could be right about the piece of wood used as I guess you don't get a lot of tree's large enough for providing body blanks that size very often. I'm still getting to know this bass at the moment and am struggling a bit with the ultra low action it's able to achieve.

I could raise the action but I have this weird idea that it seems such a waste to have higher action when it can go so low!

[quote name='Legion' post='836800' date='May 14 2010, 08:15 AM']Thanks Fran (especially as you played a part in finding the bass for the previous owner?) you could be right about the piece of wood used as I guess you don't get a lot of tree's large enough for providing body blanks that size very often. I'm still getting to know this bass at the moment and am struggling a bit with the ultra low action it's able to achieve.

I could raise the action but I have this weird idea that it seems such a waste to have higher action when it can go so low![/quote]

Low action allows you to play faster, but IMO it also makes other techniques, like dead notes, harder to play and (also IMO) it decreases the dynamic range of clean, buzz free notes. I like my action to be set where I can get some fret buzz if I dig hard, but where I can get clean notes when I play with a soft or medium attack.

regarding the wood, even the grain pattern (although mine is oriented in the opposite direction) and the flamed ash tell me that these bodies 'grew' in the same tree.

congrats again, My PJ has become my #1, to the point that my NYC UV J, being a great instrument, don't see much action if any at all.

• 1 month later...

I've decided this thread needs a little update :rolleyes:

Initial impressions were good, after that I sort of lost my way a bit and wasn't quite sure about this bass. Having recently stuck the TI flats back on it I'm totally loving it, there is something about rounds and modern sounding basses that I can't quite get my head around. I guess its just not the "tone" that I'm looking for. So I've recorded and rehearsed a bit with this and really enjoyed it, just need to gig it now for the full picture.

I'm considering it a keeper after all...the tony franklins future is looking a bit iffy :)

Edited by Legion

[quote name='Legion' post='873973' date='Jun 21 2010, 10:35 PM']I've decided this thread needs a little update :rolleyes:

Initial impressions were good, after that I sort of lost my way a bit and wasn't quite sure about this bass. Having recently stuck the TI flats back on it I'm totally loving it, there is something about rounds and modern sounding basses that I can't quite get my head around. I guess its just not the "tone" that I'm looking for. So I've recorded and rehearsed a bit with this and really enjoyed it, just need to gig it now for the full picture.

I'm [b][u]considering[/u][/b] it a keeper after all...the tony franklins future is looking a bit iffy :)[/quote]

Gorgeous bass... if you 're'consider I have a 2009 Fender PJ or a Warwick PJ if you fancy a bit of cash in hand! :lol: :lol: