Why become a member? ×

Thinking of doing cover band

EdwardHimself

As you may know it'll hopefully be second time lucky with regards to my university starting. With this in mind i was thinking of possibly making myself a bit less poor over the student year by joining a covers band and therefore earning a bit of extra cash on the side, it doesn't have to be huge amounts or anything just a bit of extra income to make life a little easier and not have to depend on my parents so much. So what i'm wondering is where do i start? I mean obviously i think i'm pretty okay on the bass, been playing nearly 5 years now, there have been "on" and "off" periods during that time but i would say by now i've pretty much got the hang of the basics. I don't have a bass amp at the moment but i suppose i would want something pretty lightweight because i'm unlikely to have a car at this point so i'll probably be getting to most places by cycle, with possible help from public transport if the occasion requires. I'm wondering if i even need a bass amp or if i could just get away with a DI box and some headphones too, i suppose it wouldn't do my image much good but any help on this subject would be great thanks.

I'm supposing that i'll probably need to know a bit more theory. That's why i've got the AB guide to music theory here which i will read up on since i'm doing little else apart from maths in the run up to the summer. I was thinking of taking grade 5 theory at some point anyway. Is there anything else i need to know apart from that really? I'm not expecting massive fun or paychecks as i say but y'know i thought it might be an idea. Am i just being stupid here or might it actually work? Thanks EH.

Find a working band to join.
Buy a cheap combo and realise that you are unlikely to be very attractive to any working band if you don't have "own gear and transport".

Generally a covers band playing in pubs will want you to be thundering out bass lines from 300+ watts of back line.
Fortunately a big enough used Trace Elliot, Ashdown, Laney or Peavey combo will only cost a few hundred.

Pub band PA's are generally not up to handling the bass without some backline. Also your drummer will need to be able to hear you and won't if you are only in the front of house.

Skills wise you just need to be able to play basic stuff and learn tunes fast. There's little call for Marcus Miller solos in covers bands but Mustang Sally and/or I predict a Riot are likely to be mandatory. ...

Sorry but that's life as a covers band bass player unless you are incredibly lucky and find a band that likes you enough to supply an amp and transport ..

I am presuming you are being serious with the post.

But no amp, a bicycle and an AB book on theory, and some headphones
does not make you a good bet to be at the top of the list when an earning covers band are looking for players.
[Regardless of your talent]

I may be wrong but you might need to aquire some basic gigging stuff to make it work.
Can you not borrow an Amp?
Or maybe get someone to drive you to the gigs?
You might be lucky and someone in the band pick you up,
But that could be a turn off at first, when trying to convince someone you are the one for the band.

But hey who know's.
Worth a try.

Good luck

Garry

Bearing in mind that the majority of pubs don't have an in house PA,you need an amp. Preferably one
with enough power for when you don't have the luxury of using a DI. I've played a lot of gigs where the PA has
been for vocals only.
Also,it doesn't matter how good you are as a player if you can't get to gigs. There is nothing worse than being
reliant on someone else to pick you up and drop you off. The other band members will tire of it very quickly.

Yup, it's looking pretty tough Eddie! By the sound of things, you just don't have much to offer a working covers band! No offence meant of course, but you've got to be able to get to gigs/rehearsals and ideally have your own backline that is powerful enough to cope with some fairly large rooms without PA assisitance.

I'm not saying that you've got no chance - but you are narrowing your options down massively unless you can get some "own gear and transport" sorted.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate! :wacko:

Ok yes i suppose it was a pretty stupid idea really. To be honest if they're anything like most people on here (IE normal) then i don't think they'd be too happy with anyone with stretched earlobe piercings. Also i seem to have a distinct lack of success when getting into bands at the best of times so at least i suppose now i know not to bother going down that route unless i can get a car, hey maybe the university will let them borrow their formula student car? :) SoW if i decide to do the formula student that'll probably take up most of my evenings and weekends anyway. So maybe it's something to think about for another year when i can get a bit cheaper insurance or whatever.

Edited by EdwardHimself

It's not a stupid idea-you may drop lucky and find a band that is cool and will help you,
but it's worth considering the transport issues. Unfortunately it is often a very big negative.
An amp can be sorted out dead easily.
It's still worth following up with-you never know what's out there.

Agree with most of the above, you definitely need your own amp. I've never been in a band that had a PA man enough for me to put the bass through.

As for the transport situation, I've spent countless hours in the car picking up younger band members who didn't have transport and I never really minded doing it. If you're playing pub rock the chances are you're going to be in a band with people older than you who will have transport and will be happy to drive you.

Just have a look around at what's available. They can only say no, and rejection is character building :)

[quote name='gafbass02' post='818456' date='Apr 25 2010, 09:00 PM']Where there's a will there's a way....

(20 years in bands, 10 of which with a trace elliot stack, Now using markbass but still no driving licence!)[/quote]

The thing i'm thinking is that if it's somewhere like manchester (for example) then i can't imagine it being ridiculously far away wherever the gig might be. If it is then maybe my dad will be able to give me a lift (here was me talking about being less reliant on my parents :) ) or someone from uni or w/e. In exchange for a couple of beers or fuel money or w/e. I suppose I'll just have to see what's happening come september, like work schedule and stuff like that.

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='818459' date='Apr 25 2010, 09:04 PM']Agree with most of the above, you definitely need your own amp. I've never been in a band that had a PA man enough for me to put the bass through.

As for the transport situation, I've spent countless hours in the car picking up younger band members who didn't have transport and I never really minded doing it. If you're playing pub rock the chances are you're going to be in a band with people older than you who will have transport and will be happy to drive you.

Just have a look around at what's available. They can only say no, and rejection is character building :)[/quote]

okay maybe i was being a bit negative in the other post. As i've already said there is no problem w/s/e in getting an amp i entirely just wondered if i needed it that's all. If i need an amp then i'll just have to save up a couple of hundred quid and get an old trace elliot or SWR of the bay. I must say i do feel weird about the idea of being around older people but then again i am going to be 19 in september and i suppose i'll have to get used to it at some point. I guess it can't hurt to have a look in johnny roadhouse music at what's on offer and all that lolz.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='818456' date='Apr 25 2010, 09:00 PM']Where there's a will there's a way....

(20 years in bands, 10 of which with a trace elliot stack, Now using markbass but still no driving licence!)[/quote]

+1

I don't have a car and did covers for years, most of the time with a Hartke head with 1 or 2 big cabs

FWIW pretty much every pub band around here that gets paid ok money has a full PA, bass and kick always goes through. Most of the time i could have used my little Hartke combo

When i got my LMII i just left my cab with the band gear and carried the rest of my stuff on the bus or cycled

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='818477' date='Apr 25 2010, 09:23 PM']+1

I don't have a car and did covers for years, most of the time with a Hartke head with 1 or 2 big cabs

FWIW pretty much every pub band around here that gets paid ok money has a full PA, bass and kick always goes through. Most of the time i could have used my little Hartke combo

When i got my LMII i just left my cab with the band gear and carried the rest of my stuff on the bus or cycled[/quote]

Okay so it's not all D+G then if i don't have a car. That's good. I suppose you lot have given me a lot to think about so we'll have to see. Thanks.

Edited by EdwardHimself

I wouldn`t get too hung up on the theory side (although it`s no bad thing) for a pub covers band. What to do is go on as many band websites as possible and check out the material that seems to be the most popular, then familiarise yourself with it. But I reckon you will need a combo of around 200-300 watts. Don`t depend on a covers band having a big enough pa for you to play through.

Hopefully someone in the band will be able to help you out transport wise but for a lot of bands, own transport is a must.

Best of luck anyway.

Jez

On the transport side, it is possible to use a taxi - but obviously if you see the project as a money generating exercise this will eat into your profits! Most cab companies have one or two estate cars in their fleet so make sure you ask for one of them in advance. I've gone down this road before (pun intended) when I've had a gig and fancied a beer or two...

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='818558' date='Apr 25 2010, 10:13 PM']I wouldn`t get too hung up on the theory side (although it`s no bad thing) for a pub covers band.[/quote]

+1, it's more important that you can nail a track fairly quickly, and that you're prepared to do your homework and have it learned ready for the rehearsal.

In all the above there seems to a tacit acceptance that EH's original concept of joining a covers band "to make some money" is sensible.

Before you start investing in gear, Edward, you might want to check just how much money you can reasonably and/or reliably expect to make.

It's different in Manchester, I know, but in London the only safe answer to that would be somewhere between very little and nothing at all.

There are successful, established covers bands in London and they can earn plenty, but most pub bands rarely see as much as £200 a gig and frequently play for nowt.

Just sayin' ...

:)

Average / rubbish pub covers bands around here get about £150-200 per gig. I know as I dep for a few.
Not bad for a trio...
As per all gigs where the crowd size is largely down to you, the bigger draw you are the better money you can get.

Re where to look for a band:
Here's a gig or two and a place to advertise yourself
[url="http://www.musolist.com/United-Kingdom/Manchester/Bass-Player-Wanted"]http://www.musolist.com/United-Kingdom/Man...s-Player-Wanted[/url]

and Gumtree
[url="http://manchester.gumtree.com/cgi-bin/list_postings.pl?posting_cat=2998&search_terms=bass"]http://manchester.gumtree.com/cgi-bin/list...arch_terms=bass[/url]

If I was in your position I would get a list ofthe most common cover songs bands play and get to work, that will take a while in its self. Get a part time job in a bar or whatever and start making some money to buy a 200W combo. Hopefully it should only take you a few months, at the same time look for some jam nights in your area to test out some of your newly learned songs.

One you have your combo, new set of songs, and a little experience playing life go for it. If you are attractive enough (in a bass playing way, looks are for singers and lead guitarists :) ) to a band, the band should offer you a lift. I know I would.

There are plenty of classic rock cover bands out there that wopuldnt be fazed about piercings, etc. In fact it may help you get the gig!

Best of luck

[quote name='conan']On the transport side, it is possible to use a taxi - but obviously if you see the project as a money generating exercise this will eat into your profits! Most cab companies have one or two estate cars in their fleet so make sure you ask for one of them in advance. I've gone down this road before (pun intended) when I've had a gig and fancied a beer or two...[/quote]

The thought did cross my mind actually. Maybe for a longer journey this would be a good idea. Probably expensive though.

[quote name='steve']+1, it's more important that you can nail a track fairly quickly, and that you're prepared to do your homework and have it learned ready for the rehearsal.[/quote]

Well i think that's fine for me. I reckon i'm quite good at being able to learn songs quite quickly, especially if it's something quite simple.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='818862' date='Apr 26 2010, 08:31 AM']In all the above there seems to a tacit acceptance that EH's original concept of joining a covers band "to make some money" is sensible.

Before you start investing in gear, Edward, you might want to check just how much money you can reasonably and/or reliably expect to make.

It's different in Manchester, I know, but in London the only safe answer to that would be somewhere between very little and nothing at all.

There are successful, established covers bands in London and they can earn plenty, but most pub bands rarely see as much as £200 a gig and frequently play for nowt.

Just sayin' ...[/quote]

It's just more stuff that i'll have to have a look about before i make any descisions. I think i would have got a combo at some point anyway.

[quote][url="http://velo-city.org/cargo-trailers/gotoes.org-bikesatwork-bicycle-trailer.jpg"]http://velo-city.org/cargo-trailers/gotoes...cle-trailer.jpg[/url][/quote]

lolz. Hmm maybe if it comes down to it, it might be an option! I guess if it's a smaller city like cardiff or manchester then there is hopefully still demand but not quite the same supply of musicians like you get down in london maybe? Dunno.

[quote name='El Bajo']If I was in your position I would get a list ofthe most common cover songs bands play and get to work, that will take a while in its self. Get a part time job in a bar or whatever and start making some money to buy a 200W combo. Hopefully it should only take you a few months, at the same time look for some jam nights in your area to test out some of your newly learned songs.

One you have your combo, new set of songs, and a little experience playing life go for it. If you are attractive enough (in a bass playing way, looks are for singers and lead guitarists smile.gif ) to a band, the band should offer you a lift. I know I would.

There are plenty of classic rock cover bands out there that wopuldnt be fazed about piercings, etc. In fact it may help you get the gig!

Best of luck[/quote]

It's probably a good idea yeah, maybe i'll make another thread and ask what people in covers bands play and stuff. As i've already said i have no problem paying for a new (used) amp because i have got like 4 or 5 months to save up and that. Unforturnately there seems to be a distinct shortage of people to have a jam with in this area but i might be able to bring round a few friends and have a go with it.

I reckon if they're doing anything for themselves then as has been said they've got to have some sort of storage. Maybe i can ask them to help me out with the amp in exchange for a few beers or something? I think if i can get the amp transported round then me and the bass will be no problem, because anywhere that's too far on the bike should be okay with public transport. Obviously i'd have to give myself enough time to get there but i think it should be fine.

I suppose your average pub rock band isn't going to be massively bothered about how i look compared to say a corporate jazz band or a string quartet like my sister was in or something. Besides, they're only small. I'm planning on having normal earlobes again in later life so nothing huge.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='818975' date='Apr 26 2010, 10:18 AM']Unforturnately there seems to be a distinct shortage of people to have a jam with in this area...[/quote]

You're in the North East yeah? There are several open-mic/jam nights in the area. One I know of pretty well takes place on the first tuesday of each month (so that will be next week) at the Ship pub under Byker Bridge in the east end of Newcastle (Now called "Ouseburn"!!).

The exact mix of each night depends on who is in. The "house" band is predominantly blues/rock but over the years there have been musoes of almost every description you could think of!

Well worth popping down if you get the chance!! You never know who you might meet down there...

[quote name='Conan' post='818985' date='Apr 26 2010, 10:25 AM']You're in the North East yeah? There are several open-mic/jam nights in the area. One I know of pretty well takes place on the first tuesday of each month (so that will be next week) at the Ship pub under Byker Bridge in the east end of Newcastle (Now called "Ouseburn"!!)[/quote]

No, i was born in newcastle but i actually live in Hull. Some people might not regard this as the "north east" but w/e.

[quote name='OldGit' post='818883' date='Apr 26 2010, 08:54 AM']Average / rubbish pub covers bands around here get about £150-200 per gig. I know as I dep for a few.
Not bad for a trio...
As per all gigs where the crowd size is largely down to you, the bigger draw you are the better money you can get.

Re where to look for a band:
Here's a gig or two and a place to advertise yourself
[url="http://www.musolist.com/United-Kingdom/Manchester/Bass-Player-Wanted"]http://www.musolist.com/United-Kingdom/Man...s-Player-Wanted[/url]

and Gumtree
[url="http://manchester.gumtree.com/cgi-bin/list_postings.pl?posting_cat=2998&search_terms=bass"]http://manchester.gumtree.com/cgi-bin/list...arch_terms=bass[/url][/quote]

I'd add joinmyband to that too, i put an ad on there and within a week had loads of good offers, one from a cracking originals band and another for highly paid cruise work!

Also if you really have to cycle with your entire rig maybe have a look at something like these:
[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2258&sid=610&cid=95"]http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid...=610&cid=95[/url]
[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2260&sid=610&cid=95"]http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid...=610&cid=95[/url]

I never thought a bass amp could be that light until i picked up a shuttle combo. I've had pedals heavier than those things!