Why become a member? ×

4x10 cab decision

mrhectic

I've been thinking of getting a new rig together. well, a new cab. Im thinking of buying a 4x10 bass cab. I want a cab that quite bassy but also has clarity.not just a complete rubbling mess.

i currently have 2 12 inch cabs. but i feel it doesnt quite cut through the mix to great when im playing at gigs. It sounds great off stage, but i cant really hear myself to much. would a 410 be better?

im thinking between a orange obc 410 or a mesa powerhouse 410....

Im going to go into my local music shop to try out the orange this week , but unfortunetly they dont have any mesa's there. So i wont be able to compare.
what would you say would be the best option. I play finger style/rock.

any help appriciated :)

[quote name='mrhectic' post='818098' date='Apr 25 2010, 03:05 PM']I've been thinking of getting a new rig together. well, a new cab. Im thinking of buying a 4x10 bass cab. I want a cab that quite bassy but also has clarity.not just a complete rubbling mess.

i currently have 2 12 inch cabs. but i feel it doesnt quite cut through the mix to great when im playing at gigs. It sounds great off stage, but i cant really hear myself to much. would a 410 be better?

im thinking between a orange obc 410 or a mesa powerhouse 410....

Im going to go into my local music shop to try out the orange this week , but unfortunetly they dont have any mesa's there. So i wont be able to compare.
what would you say would be the best option. I play finger style/rock.

any help appriciated :)[/quote]

I would go for the Mesa, I owned one for about 5 years and it is tight, loud and clear. I sold it to richardd on here, hecwas selling it again.
What head are you using? You need to drive it with a powerful head, I used a 400+

[quote name='mrhectic' post='818126' date='Apr 25 2010, 03:42 PM']yeah i was thinking about that. I currently have an ashdown abm 500 evo II.

I dont think that is powerful enough to power it? the ashdown is 575rms i think[/quote]

I agree MB cabs need some juice to wake them up. I used to power a MB 1x15 and 2x10 together (either Road Ready or Diesel, I forget which) with an ABM500 and it sounded absolutely gargantuan, so don't write off the Ashdown just yet

Edited by AndyMartin

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='818230' date='Apr 25 2010, 05:28 PM']I agree MB cabs need some juice to wake them up. I used to power a MB 1x15 and 2x10 together (either Road Ready or Diesel, I forget which) with an ABM500 and it sounded absolutely gargantuan, so don't write off the Ashdown just yet[/quote]

ah, that sounds reassuring. If I get either one the the 410's, i'l try them with my ashdown and see how it sounds. However, is it safe to power a 600 watt cab with a 575 head?? :S

[quote name='mrhectic' post='819417' date='Apr 26 2010, 02:24 PM']ah cool! cheers for the advice andy! I think a mesa is looking more likely. I read somewhere that the orange obc has a horn which you can't adjust.[/quote]

I bought a new 4x10 at the weekend. I went with the intention to buy Mesa.... I walked out with a Berg.

[quote name='alexharvay' post='819420' date='Apr 26 2010, 02:26 PM']....I bought a new 4x10 at the weekend. I went with the intention to buy Mesa.... I walked out with a Berg....[/quote]
Was that the Bass Direct effect?

I went in there on Friday to buy an AE410. I refused to pick up a Roscoe, just in case I couldn't put it down, but I very, very nearly walked out with an MTD635!!

That place is not good for you!

[quote name='chris_b' post='819437' date='Apr 26 2010, 02:38 PM']Was that the Bass Direct effect?

I went in there on Friday to buy an AE410. I refused to pick up a Roscoe, just in case I couldn't put it down, but I very, very nearly walked out with an MTD635!!

That place is not good for you![/quote]

Was indeed. Mark knew what I wanted before I did.

[quote name='alexharvay' post='819420' date='Apr 26 2010, 02:26 PM']I bought a new 4x10 at the weekend. I went with the intention to buy Mesa.... I walked out with a Berg.[/quote]

we're both on the same wave lenght! lol ...yeah i want to change to a 4x10 from 2 12's.
did you try out the 4x10 mesa? how was the mesa???

[quote name='mrhectic' post='819452' date='Apr 26 2010, 02:50 PM']we're both on the same wave lenght! lol ...yeah i want to change to a 4x10 from 2 12's.
did you try out the 4x10 mesa? how was the mesa???[/quote]

I didn't try the Mesa, I wanted a 4ohm cab and the Mesa was 8ohm. I would have liked to but there were a couple of other guys waiting and after playing through the Berg it was game over.

[quote name='mrhectic' post='819417' date='Apr 26 2010, 02:24 PM']ah cool! cheers for the advice andy! I think a mesa is looking more likely. I read somewhere that the orange obc has a horn which you can't adjust.[/quote]

It was an odd decision by Orange to di this, but the horn is nice and subtle on the cab, and doesn't sound too 'bright' like I found even the Bergs can.

You need to give them all a good try. You'll find the Orange prices are much more reasonable due to various factors, one being it's a UK company so no messing about paying a ridiculous amount over what they do in the USA.

What tone/size/weight are you after? If you are looking for a quality rock n roll 4x10, Mess and Orange are good places to look.

[quote name='chris_b' post='820446' date='Apr 27 2010, 11:26 AM']In the BC For Sale section Chris Horton is selling an Orange stack. He's a good guy to deal with and he’s local to you, well in Plymouth![/quote]

hey chris_b, I had a look for this post, but looks like he's sold the stack. It looks awesome though, and he had flightcases and all!

thanks for the suggestions guys, i'l have to look into some of them.

hey guys. Ive been reading a few old threads on here, and am now having second thoughts on selling my 2'12's and getting a 4x10. I found that there's a number of reasons why i cant hear myself to well. for example, some thing i should do is put the cabs up against a wall at gigs, and to stand a good distance away from my rig. All of which i will try next time. If this doesnt work, than i will probably have a change of rigs.

Ive reccently had a number of good offers for my 2 12's just reccently, but am now having second thoughts about letting them go. Maybe i'l hold onto them till i try some of these techniques out at a gig.