Why become a member? ×

Marshall bass amps

Deep Thought

It occurred to me the other day, whilst looking at new Marshall cabs in my local geetar emporium, that we don't hear much here, or anywhere else for that matter, about Marshall bass amplification. I had a 60W Marshall combo years ago, which wasn't quite up to what I was using it for, but I had no complaints otherwise. Does anyone here use Marshall stuff? Presumably their bass amps aren't held in the same high regard that their guitar amps are. Nobody ever recommends Marshall-it's always Markbass, GK, Trace, Aguilar, Epifani etc. etc. How come their bass amps aren't as well liked?

I dunno.. worked for Maiden.. and errr Status Quo ;o)

Actually, I always wanted one of the DBS 7400 heads.. and the 4x12 to go with it. A massively loud amp with a really phat tone. Shame Marshall don't make them still.. Weighed a F***in ton though!!!

[quote name='The_D' post='89081' date='Nov 15 2007, 07:08 PM']Cant vouch for the amps but I have a 4x12 cab I use. Have never had a problem with it. Just bought a 2x10 (not Marshall) to give it a bit more punch.

Does weigh a ton though.[/quote]

Aye ma old cab is a wee bit of a backbreaker :) I had a 30th anniversary head a 3530 i think it was with the chrome face, 300w @4ohms and it sounded great with the marshall vbc 4x12 i sold to Bob. Shame i had to sell it as it was a cracking sounding not to mention loud amp.

I'm doing some amp shopping at the end of the month when my bonus comes in and i may be looking at the new Marshall MB series stuf. . . . . .

Edited by mr pablo

[quote name='mr pablo' post='89107' date='Nov 15 2007, 07:48 PM']Aye ma old cab is a wee bit of a backbreaker :) I had a 30th anniversary head a 3530 i think it was with the chrome face, 300w @4ohms and it sounded great with the marshall vbc 4x12 i sold to Bob. Shame i had to sell it as it was a cracking sounding not to mention loud amp.

I'm doing some amp shopping at the end of the month when my bonus comes in and i may be looking at the new Marshall MB series stuf. . . . . .[/quote]

I WANT A JUBILEE HEAD!

I used to have a 1981 100W Super Bass II, coupled with a Fender Dual Showman 2 x 15 cab. I was slightly disappointed by the power output and the inability to get really good fundamental bass notes out of it, but that was more to do with the fact that I was p*ss poor at that stage and bought the cab second-hand without any drivers in it, and I could only afford to get a couple of cheapish 15'' drivers in there (Baker C15s if my memory is correct). I don't think they did it justice. The tonal variation was limited and crude however, no matter which cab you were driving. Not overly impressed. This was over 25 years ago so don't take this as an indication of what Marshall are doing now!

I have a 1970's Marshall Superbass Mrk II Valve head. 100W. Sounds OKish ina vintage cool way, but the power just isnt there. That was my first head.
And I have and use occasionally a Marshall DBS 4x12 cab. Whiche sounds monstrous, but also weighs monstrous! hah.

That cab does sound great and I've heard the DBS heads that go with are great. there was one on Ebay not too long ago too.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='91649' date='Nov 20 2007, 05:46 PM']I would love a VBA400 head & 4 x 12" cab (or two!).

People often say they're rubbish, but I reckon not ;-)[/quote]
I borrowed a freinds Marshall VBA 400 for a gig. (infact he's on these here forums as DrGonzo) and it was amazing! Sounded pure lush. a good Simple to work Valve head. Had the volume, power and most importantly tone.
I would def recomend one. He also has the VBA 8X10. I didnt play through it but when he does it puts a smile on my face.

[quote name='man_at_arms84' post='91652' date='Nov 20 2007, 05:50 PM']I borrowed a freinds Marshall VBA 400 for a gig. (infact he's on these here forums as DrGonzo) and it was amazing! Sounded pure lush. a good Simple to work Valve head. Had the volume, power and most importantly tone.
I would def recomend one. He also has the VBA 8X10. I didnt play through it but when he does it puts a smile on my face.[/quote]

I wish you hadn't said that, I'm *so* tempted ;-)

MArshall don't go out looking for bass sales in any big way, becausde it is simply not what they are good at. This was told to me by our rep. It's a second string at best, they are never going to bother with trying to get into it any more than they are, because they'd simply never catch up. VBA is great for old school rock, but little else IMHO, and weighs far too much to be bothered with. MB stuff is lighter, but I played through the biggest MB and 8x10 cab the other night at a MArshall Roadshow, and was not impressed at all. And the Roadshow was ALL about the guitar amps. Bass didn't get a mention, literally, except to acknowledge that they actually made some bass amps. No demos at all.

[quote name='Telebass' post='94788' date='Nov 26 2007, 09:28 PM']VBA is great for old school rock, but little else IMHO, and weighs far too much to be bothered with.[/quote]

I know you're right... but they still look *so* cool ;-)

Back breakingly heavy though, for bands with roadies only!

Hmm...

I am the aforementioned 'friend' of man_at_arms and I am indeed the proud owner of said VBA400 with its pet 8x10.

I used to hire this amp out to bands at the venue I work at (until someone dropped it and forced a re-valving... grrr....!) and every person that used it - and I mean [i]every[/i] person that used it - was mightily impressed.

I know what you're saying Telebass about bass amps being a second string for Marshall - they discontinued the padded case for this head before they started shipping it (although a few were made for endorsees and the like... bastards!) however in no way let this give anyone the impression that they aren't serious about this amp.

According to a guy I met (guitar tech for Raging Speedhorn, also bass player for Viking Skull - and proud VBA user) because of the relatively small number of these amps that Marshall are shifting, they're pretty much a build-to-order job these days. There are, however, a reasonable number of them floating about - I know the guy from Doves uses them, and the bass player from Moloko to name but two.

The reason I got it was because it sounded loads better than an SVT for what I wanted to use it for - screaming distortion... Its not quite as agressive as an SVT (although this could also be the cab...) but if you want absolute sludgy overdrive / synthy fuzz / gentle feedback then it sounds amazing!

The one other benefit that this custom build aspect may bring is to the reliability of these beasts as I've had a few problems - mind you I dont have any case for it at all, its stored in "less than ideal" conditions and I tend to drive it like f**k...

And yeah, its heavy but its not that much heavier than your MAG combo... considering you can pick these up for around £450 on ebay, they're reasonably priced for what was originally meant to be a serious contender for the SVT2

I have a B65 Combo, and it's done everything I've wanted it to. Mainly used at home for practise, but have also had it on stage iether DI'ed or mic'ed up.

I should point out though that I've not much experience of other maker's stuff.

EDITED to add:

Actually I do have a problem with it. If using compression, then the first time it kicks in there is a bit of a click. Mind you the only time I us compression is when I try to work out what possible use it is, so it's not a great problem to me. Apart from that - Fine.

Clive

Edited by Clive Thorne

• 8 months later...

I went looking for a new amp recently,i was looking to buy Ashdown gear,i played one at a festival recently,and it was great,(with most of the middle knocked back anyway).Took my main bass with me,tried a few combinations of Ashdowns/cabs,and came away with a 400w Marshall DBS-1x15 + 1x15,2x10 cabs,for £400,loads of power,great tone,and no fannying about with 2,3,4 middle controls.It's the clearest my low b has ever sounded,i've had Marshall bass and guitar amps in the past,the last one being a chrome rackmount thing,150/200w,cant remember now.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='91649' date='Nov 20 2007, 06:46 PM']I would love a VBA400 head & 4 x 12" cab (or two!).

People often say they're rubbish, but I reckon not ;-)[/quote]

I have the VBA400 and 4x12 cab.

Its fooking excelent! nuff louds! GREAT tone, what you would expect from a good full valve head really.

I weighed the head in the flight case though.... cant remember now if it was 6.5 or 7.5 STONE. but its fooooooking heavy anyways.

If your local, pop down if you wanna bash.

Played through a VBA400 and a 4x12 at a gig once. Pretty good, but the response was a bit slow for my tastes. I guess I'm just a solid state guy. The sound itself however was truly glorious, even if it wasn't my cup of tea. I can see why people would die for something like that.

Better than any 'Nampeg I've played.

Used to have them at Survival Studios (Rehearsal room in Acton, W. London) dunno if they still do. Sounded ************* glorious, almost the best sound ever.

Problem was, the early ones crapped out about every 3 days. Heat related problems, bit like those on the DSL's and TSL's. Circuit board warping, cold solder joints. If you're going to buy a VBA, get a later one, or one that's been past an amp tech. Probably wise to upgrade the fan.

Plus, there's a lot of power tubes in there. Re-valve costs v. high. I reckon possible to do them 2 at a time, rather than a full set.

And the rig, even in 4 spkr format, weighs ludicrous. But despite all this, it's soooooooo worth it.

I used to have a VBA400 (its now Jobiebass'), and it was pretty epic. Far louder than I ever needed really! But I miss that big loud stack behind me... Its not a subtle amp :huh:

Your VBA sounded pretty good the other week in Sheffield, man_at_arms84, but I didn't see both your Matamp cabs there :) Still one of the loudest things I've ever experienced in a venue like that though! Nice work :huh:

I used a VBA to record with recently. It was great, not quite dirty enough for my liking as I would have used my Orange AD200B if it hadn't have died at my last recording session! Impressed with the sound of the VBA overall though, sounded pretty huge with my Berg 6x10 and 70's P-bass.