Why become a member? ×

We Will Rock You

waynepunkdude

[quote name='Mike' post='817664' date='Apr 24 2010, 10:42 PM']I've played this show on two runs. Generally it's straightforward, some tricky rhythms in places, but lots of fun. And the band have to do a bit of acting at one point!

"WE ARE, Killer Queen! ALRIGHT??"[/quote]

Not to derail the thread but I've just been to see Dreamboats and Petticoats which is a musical filled with 50s and 60s music (all played and sung live on stage) that's held together with a fairly basic storyline.

Excellent show and the band (who are on the stage the whole time) do a bit of acting too.

Worth a look if you get chance.

We Will Rock You sounds like a great show and a great challenge, especially if you're not a Queen fan!

Good luck with it if you decide to give it a bash :)

• 8 months later...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='817663' date='Apr 24 2010, 09:41 PM']I have got a P but I don't think it'd suit the look so I'm thinking my natural Jazz would suit the image better.

Cheers I've never worked with a conductor before so I'll need to practice that.[/quote]

I did a production once. The conductor was garbage! Kept asking to see my ticket!

[attachment=68813:On_The_Buses.gif]

Jez

(My coat is already on and I am out the door).

I've done WWRY a bit.
Make sure you do your homework and don't interpret the parts at all!!! Knowing the Queen songs will only really help so much; you need to know what the dots mean inside out.
Best bass to use is a P Bass with a Hipshot.
No One But You (Only The Good Die Young) is the toughest tune!
Tony the drummer is a diamond; Neil's a great bloke too. It's loads of fun, massive pressure, but a nice thing to pop on your CV.
Good luck!

By the way, Neil uses a modded Fender Precision with Bartolini P and Humbucking pickups - Neil's own bass - for the whole show apart from a Sei fretless 4 for the start of 'Crazy Little Thing' (which you switch mid-way through back to a fretted bass!!) and a USA Fender P Deluxe 5 for 'I Want It All'.
The fretless and the 5 are compulsary!
Let us know how you get on.

Edited by Nickytwister

Strangely, I've never played queen records at home for pleasure its never been my thing, but playing queen songs in a covers context is very enjoyable, there is something about the songs that is right for a band situation and enjoyable bass parts that I can relax into

Obviously i am only a pubs parties and functions weekend hobbyist, so I cant help re your mammoth gig, but good luck with it :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1094211' date='Jan 18 2011, 06:55 PM']Maybe we could block book a load of seats and go and support Wayne.[/quote]

Not a bad idea, the thing I hate about going to the theatre is that they always hide the band and you have to stare at a load of actors and dancers, id rather watch the bassist and the drummer

I wouldnt put myself down as a number one queen fan although i do stick some on sometimes when doing the hoovering , but have to admit another one bites the dust bass line is such a classic recognizable one that you could play it to the average joe in the street and regardless of there musical knowledge or upbringing they would know what it was . its just one of those bass lines!

Edited by gub

[quote name='JTUK' post='817092' date='Apr 24 2010, 10:37 AM']ha ha, my sentiments exactly...

as for tone... ? wouldn't worry about it..it is a P-bass.
He sometimes played with fingers, thats about it.[/quote]
John Deacon was partial to a Stingray for a while and used to record a lot with it. He used the P bass more live for the look.

[quote name='mep' post='1094443' date='Jan 18 2011, 08:51 PM']John Deacon was partial to a Stingray for a while and used to record a lot with it. He used the P bass more live for the look.[/quote]

It was seeing John play a stingray live on tv end of last year that got me interested in the MM tone. And funny enough it was waynes sub that became my first MM.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1094486' date='Jan 18 2011, 10:20 PM']It was seeing John play a stingray live on tv end of last year that got me interested in the MM tone. And funny enough it was waynes sub that became my first MM.[/quote]

Right then I've known about this for over a year it's a month away and today I have started to properly learn the songs *idiot*.

Bass wise I'm going to use the P and the EBMM Sterling.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1265026' date='Jun 11 2011, 03:55 PM']Right then I've known about this for over a year it's a month away and today I have started to properly learn the songs *idiot*.

Bass wise I'm going to use the P and the EBMM Sterling.[/quote]

LOL, i guess you like to be Under pressure ;-)

I dont think its such a bad thing to start cramming it all in now. If you had started a year ago you may well either be fed up with them or forgotten them and have to relearn them. Saying that, i hope you have plent of ospare time over the next month.

Have you got printed music to work with or just off CD?

Good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris 'Me And My Bass' recently played in a production in Glasgow. I'm sure he's give you an idea of what's needed.

profile link [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=8335"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=8335[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='gjones' post='1276531' date='Jun 20 2011, 11:36 PM']Chris 'Me And My Bass' recently played in a production in Glasgow. I'm sure he's give you an idea of what's needed.

profile link [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=8335"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=8335[/url][/quote]

Cheers buddy.

We have been doing a few practices and all has been going well, they are getting us back to do Hairspray next year which is something I actually want to do.