Why become a member? ×

Big changeover/clearout

Musicman20

It is with a slight hint of regret that ive had to sell on some great basses the past few weeks. Originally, I was very happy with my setups, but I found myself wanting different things, and when one of the basschat members said 'why not thin the herd to get what you want' I decided to embark on some serious shuffling about.

So far, ive sold my awesome DB212s (8 ohms) and I nearly went for two DB112s, but I got a great quote on a DB212 (4ohm) and it also meant I had spare money to spend on other bits.

BUT, the most difficult decision was selling the Stingrays. I have really really looked after those basses. Before the new Fenders came out wit improvements, I was weary of buying them, but now Im a happy owner of three! They aint going nowhere now. The Ps are just perfect, and the Jazz really is that Jazz ive wanted for years, (and is far superior to one I bought from new at a similar price about 7 years ago....which went straight back!)

I have been really excited about the Classic Rays for a long time, so one Ray had to go :)

Then, I gave my 5 string yearning a good kick into gear and tested a few more basses. The Ray 5 'works' for me...perfectly. So yet another of my Rays had to go :rolleyes:

Its very strange looking at my gear to see no Ernie Balls, but thats all change soon :lol:

Has anyone else had a total change recently?

Now I dont own any instruments that are more than about 9 months old. Same with amps but the oldest one is roughly 18 months old, (Orange gear).

Massive change, but thats how it is! Now I also think Ive found a suitable workhorse backup bass....Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz....so Ill probably get one soon.

Edited by Musicman20

I always seem to be changing my Basses MM20, don't know why as my Amp rule is normally 'one rig and it lasts 5 years' (unless demands change significantly of course :).

I stick to the 3 bass rule agreed with (imposed by) 'er indoors and at the mo I seem to have stuck to that. The current 2 are spot on, in fact as Ive had my Status for more than a year it's testimony to how good it is. I always like to have an MM in the collection and that's nicely filled with the 30th Ray that I've had for a couple of months and looks like it's staying for the long haul (the only problem I have wit it is it's so damn pretty that I'm scared of dinging it!).

The 3rd bass spot is currently unoccupied and is usually a fiver or a Fretless. I guess this 3rd spot is kept in flux so that I can try a few basses out from time to time.....hence the want ad on the forum for a nice fretless at the mo.

I have the same bass and amp set up for nigh on 20 years.... but took some time out a while back and nearly sold all of it. Something held me back there tho'..

Anyway, I am back with a load more energy and I bought two new..new for me.. 5 strings, relegated my third to a a probable sell, which will be hard as I had it built in the early 90's and it has done loads of work for me as my staple bass through that time.
Now I have new cabs and the only thing I have kept for gigging is the amp so a whole new change, almost.

You forget how much work you had to do in the first few months of a new toy way back when, so I am relearning my kit.
I am very happy so far and those months out really refreshed me...otherwise I would never have taken this lot on.

Never sounded so good either, IMHO, so I must have been really jaded and stale.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='813736' date='Apr 21 2010, 01:27 PM']It is with a slight hint of regret that ive had to sell on some great basses the past few weeks. Originally, I was very happy with my setups, but I found myself wanting different things, and when one of the basschat members said 'why not thin the herd to get what you want' I decided to embark on some serious shuffling about.

So far, ive sold my awesome DB212s (8 ohms) and I nearly went for two DB112s, but I got a great quote on a DB212 (4ohm) and it also meant I had spare money to spend on other bits.

BUT, the most difficult decision was selling the Stingrays. I have really really looked after those basses. Before the new Fenders came out wit improvements, I was weary of buying them, but now Im a happy owner of three! They aint going nowhere now. The Ps are just perfect, and the Jazz really is that Jazz ive wanted for years, (and is far superior to one I bought from new at a similar price about 7 years ago....which went straight back!)

I have been really excited about the Classic Rays for a long time, so one Ray had to go :)

Then, I gave my 5 string yearning a good kick into gear and tested a few more basses. The Ray 5 'works' for me...perfectly. So yet another of my Rays had to go :rolleyes:

Its very strange looking at my gear to see no Ernie Balls, but thats all change soon :lol:

Has anyone else had a total change recently?

Now I dont own any instruments that are more than about 9 months old. Same with amps but the oldest one is roughly 18 months old, (Orange gear).

Massive change, but thats how it is! Now I also think Ive found a suitable workhorse backup bass....Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz....so Ill probably get one soon.[/quote]

Oh yes - I recently my sold two Ray's and an Alembic and now am the proud owner of three Warwicks - I found that they really did what I want, no regrets. Might be in the market for Thumb 5er but not for a while yet...

Also recently got myself a TC R450 and two TC cabs, which really work well with the 'wicks...lovin' it! So, yes, a complete change round in under 6 months.

Still got my year of birth P-Bass "that ain't going nowhere" :lol:

I have the same problem to a degree, Gareth - The Status basses remain pretty constant and they're my mainstay instruments, but the "others" do keep changing. After the last foray into a Jazz (which I never ended up gigging and sold), I found I missed having a Fender around. My few months with EBMM instruments was interesting, but not what I was looking for sound wise. Too much of a mix up of modern sparkly with vintage wuffle. So back to Fender we go :) The Road Worn Jazz has "that" Jazz sound and I've been waiting for the stonking sounding 62 AV Precision for quite a time.

Perhaps I've got the mix right this time - Modern graphite basses and vintage wooden passive ones. We'll see... :rolleyes:

[quote name='urban Bassman' post='813768' date='Apr 21 2010, 01:50 PM']Still got my year of birth P-Bass "that ain't going nowhere" :)[/quote]

Now that sounds like a great idea, but in my case increasing expensive and hard to find

Sometimes with gear "the chase is better than the catch", but not always

I hate Jazz basses - don't know if its cos people rave about them all the time and I want to be different but I really don;t like them for some reason, really don't

I've just bought a Squier VM Jazz Bass :)

I tend to only have one bass at a time. I don't see the point of owning more than one, I can do everything I want with the bass I have in my hands (apart from the 12 string ones I used to play) so I don;t see why I need more than 1. If I was recording or sitting in with a band that wanted me to play something specifically then I would but i invariably end up sounding like me anyway.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='816789' date='Apr 23 2010, 10:35 PM']I hate Jazz basses - don't know if its cos people rave about them all the time and I want to be different but I really don;t like them for some reason, really don't

I've just bought a Squier VM Jazz Bass :)[/quote]
:rolleyes:

Classic!