Why become a member? ×

good octave??

danbowskill

Octaves i own:

octabass is good and tracks really well
boss oc2 sounds pretty much unique - tracks reasonably
dod octoplus is cool and sounds cool - i've had mine run cleanishly down to a low d

ones i have tried/ tested:
MXR BOD is as good as the the octabass IMO - i bought the ebs after a head to head shootout. the ebs was around the ton, and the mxr was a bit more. I'm pretty sure i'll end up with the mxr too eventually!
the ashdown i thought was appalling - very disappointed
EHX octave multiplexer - quite liked this one, sounded good and tracked reasonably. similar tracking ability to OC2 IMO

all of this IME and IMO of course!

Bear in mind that most octavers have trouble tracking below about an A.

I've had an EBS Octabass for years now(the old grey one with the jacks reversed) and I think it's
great. I recently tried it against the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe,and slightly prefered the EBS-it seemed
a little smoother. The MXR is still a great pedal though.

After using the EBS for ages (it was the first single pedal I bought) I recently got hold of an old Boss
OC2,and am totally loving it. So much so,that if I don't need(or want) to take my whole board out,
the OC2 is one of the few pedals I take with me(along with the Emma DiscumBOBulator and the TC Nova
Repeater). It's quickly become one of my favourite pedals.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='810016' date='Apr 18 2010, 07:40 AM']of course the digitech bass synth wah has an octave mode available which tracks well - you should be able to pick one up for not a lot![/quote]

Very good it is too, and you also get a selection of other effects with it - handy if your board's getting a bit crowded.

Want amazing tracking? Possibly think about going digital over analogue. I've had an OC-3 for ages and it tracks very well. Good experiences with the Micro Pog aswell.

As far as analogue goes, can't beat the EHX BOD, amazing pedal, really versatile. Wouldn't mind trying out an Octamizer either...

I use a Boss OC2. Tracks very well until you get down to an A (Open A/ 5th fret E) which should be low enough for most needs. I also only use the 1 octave down with the direct signal. Love the pedal, not selling mine!

It was used by Guy Pratt with Pink Floyd (Money solo) Jacko (Earth song) and Madogga (Like a prayer), amongst others...

Edited by Bassistclem

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='810016' date='Apr 18 2010, 07:40 AM']of course the digitech bass synth wah has an octave mode available which tracks well - you should be able to pick one up for not a lot![/quote]
did not rate this pedal at all!sold mine as i play hard,it was always clipping ans sounding poo!

[quote name='andyjingram' post='810502' date='Apr 18 2010, 05:43 PM']Very few are. Don't let that be your sole deciding factor when buying an octave pedal. Something digital like the EHX POG might track better down there, but as Doddy says, anything below about A is a bonus!

For under 90 pounds you are probably looking at second hand, too. I was very happy with my MXR BOD, but from discussions I've seen people can fall out with octave pedals in a big way- there may be some of the good'uns up for sale somewhere in your price range.[/quote]
i agree on the second hand bit(i guess it wishful thinking und £100)
guess its going to be a trial and error kinda thing??

"Sorry if that's teaching Granny to suck eggs! "lol...
yep i know you gota change your notes style etc,got a decent rig..but using a lot of open notes quickly through my riffs im wanting not over the top octave mixed with the clean!! im a fussy bugger :)

I'd recommend the EBS Octabass, it tracks really well, down to G for me (got to be first in my effects chain to do that) and you can blend your normal sound with the effected sound. That's my opinion though, which may not count for much. :)

Edited by mildmanofrock

[quote name='danbowskill' post='810441' date='Apr 18 2010, 05:01 PM']did not rate this pedal at all!sold mine as i play hard,it was always clipping ans sounding poo![/quote]

yeah i really liked the digitech but it didnt get on with my active bass and playing style at all

I love the OC-2. If you're after something with perfect tracking right down to low B, you'll be disappointed by it, but it has a sound all of its own. I miss the lovely glitchiness of it. I used to have two of them on the same pedalboard, and pretty much miss having one around. I know I can probably pick another one up fairly easily though. But yeah, recommendation for the OC-2 from me, if you want an octave pedal with a bit of character and quirkiness. It isn't for everyone.

I'm at present using a Electro harmonics, Octave multiplexer and its not to bad, very clear up to the A but after that it get mushy.
I did have a EBS octabass that i sold a while ago and do regret it so if anybody has one that they want to part with please let me no.

Edited by danny-79

I have a MXR BOD and find this a octave pedal with very good tracking as long as the pedal sits first in my fx chain. I play with a SR5'er and can get reasonable tracking on the B string. Not entirely perfect but the best one i've tried yet :)