Why become a member? ×

Help me choose between these two PLEASE

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='809625' date='Apr 17 2010, 06:02 PM']Yes you are right, I just didn't bother pointing it out as the issue is which to go for in terms of colour scheme, they are both slab body with no contour., both 51 reissues[/quote]

My bad, should've gone to Specsavers as I swore I could see contouring (maybe it was the Sting reference that threw me as his is a 54)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='809907' date='Apr 17 2010, 10:40 PM'][size=3][b]Here's one I've.... photoshopped earlier[/b][/size]

[/quote]

Nice, I thought that would work.

[quote name='chris_b' post='810351' date='Apr 18 2010, 02:57 PM']If you think that it's beneath you to play a bass that Sting also plays, then don't bother with either.[/quote]

Well when I look at the butterscotch the last thing comes to my mind is Gordon Sumner, whereas when I look at the sunburst I go... oh no you w**ker! :)

Oh and..... Out To Play Jazz, that pic with the bar stools and the 51 with the combo is luvvleyyyy, soon to become my screen background! Cheers

[quote name='merello' post='810385' date='Apr 18 2010, 03:54 PM']Bass players slagging Sting? Have you heard him playing and singing some of his sh*t? Outstanding.[/quote]

yeah I give you that, he can play and sing, but so can Elton John, doesn't mean I have to think highly of them :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='810392' date='Apr 18 2010, 04:07 PM']yeah I give you that, he can play and sing, but so can Elton John, doesn't mean I have to think highly of them :)[/quote]

Bass players slagging Elton John? Have you heard him playing and singing some of his sh*t? Outstanding.

[size=3][b]Listen up guys, you are all going to find this extremely funny...

You know I've been saying all along that I would have preferred the Butterscotch over the Sunburst because the latter remind me of Gordon Sumner, whom I am not that fond of, to say the least??

Well I got well and truly f****ed! Smacked it right in my face, call it poetic justice! Fact is that when I went to order it, I have learnt that the only one left at that dealer that sold them for £499 [url="http://www.musicwarehouse.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=2074&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=Fender,Precision&numPageStartPosition=11&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all"]see this link[/url] was infact a sunburst as they have sold out of the Butterscotch, now... I asked them if they could get me a Butterscotch, and they told me sorry mate these are the only one left, as Fender UK is discontinuing them!! I said wait a minute I'll be back, I phoned Fender myself and they confirmed it. There's only 2 or 3 Buttescotch left in the country but they are selling them between £600 and £699 depending on the retailer.

Now the £499 price from Music Warehouse was impossible to beat and so... I was forced to get the fugging Sting one. GRRRRRRR, serves me right for mouthing off Gordon, oh well at least I've got it for £100 less than the other shops so... I just couldn't let it go.

There you go. Lesson learnt.[/b][/size]

[quote name='Johnston' post='811595' date='Apr 19 2010, 05:44 PM']So are they discontinuing the 51 altogether or just the butterscotch??[/quote]

Both the 51 Reissue Butterscotch and the Sunburst are discontinued. Guess which one they'll continue to do? Yep the Artist series one with the Sting Signature.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='811668' date='Apr 19 2010, 06:52 PM']Both the 51 Reissue Butterscotch and the Sunburst are discontinued. Guess which one they'll continue to do? Yep the Artist series one with the Sting Signature.[/quote]

How much is the Sting one?!

Silly that they are discontinuing them. Stops my GAS though. I think the burst will look very cool. Can you get a Tort plate?!

Pics up when it gets here :)

PS Our practice rooms took delivery of two Fender 115 Bassman combos. They are still boxed up though. Need to test one if im allowed.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='811961' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:51 PM']The Sting version is usually about £100 more than the '51s.[/quote]

That's right and if you look at the specs between the 51 reissue and the Sting one, (both of which come from the same factory in Japan) they are exactly the same

Ordinary 51 Reissue

Type: Precision Bass®
Model Name: 51 Precision Bass®
Model Number: 027-1902-(Color #)
Series: Classic Series
Colors: (503) 2-Color Sunburst,
(550) Butterscotch Blonde,
(Urethane Finish)
Body: Ash
Neck: Maple, Thick C Shape,
(Gloss Urethane Finish)
Fingerboard: Maple, 7.25” Radius (184 mm)
No. of Frets: 20 Vintage Style Frets
Pickups: 1 Original Single-Coil Precision Bass Pickup
Controls: Volume, Tone
Pickup Switching: None
Bridge: Original 2-Saddle Vintage Style Precision Bass Bridge
Machine Heads: Vintage Style Reverse Tuning Machines
Hardware: Black Chrome
Pickguard: 1-Ply White (7-Hole) on (503) 2-Color Sunburst, 1-Ply Black (7-Hole) on (550) Butterscotch Blonde
Scale Length: 34” (863.6 mm)
Width at Nut: 1.625" (41.3 mm)
Unique Features: Original Precision Bass Headstock Shape
Strings: Super 7250ML, NPS,
Gauges: (.045, .065, .080, .100),
P/N 073-7250-005
Accessories: None
Case: None
Introduced: 1/2003
Notice: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sting Model:

Type: Precision Bass®
Model Name: Sting Precision Bass®
Model Number: 025-1902-(303)
Series: Artist Series
Colors: (303) 2-Color Sunburst,
(Urethane Finish)
Body: Ash
Neck: 1-Piece Maple, Thick C Shape,
(Gloss Urethane Finish)
Fingerboard: Maple, 7.25 Radius (184 mm)
No. of Frets: 20 Vintage Style Frets
Pickups: 1 Original Single-Coil Precision Bass Pickup
Controls: Volume, Tone
Pickup Switching: None
Bridge: Original 2-Saddle Vintage Style Precision Bass Bridge
Machine Heads: Vintage Style Reverse Tuning Machines
Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
Pickguard: 1-Ply White
Scale Length: 34 (863.6 mm)
Width at Nut: 1.625" (41.3 mm)
Unique Features: Block Inlaid Sting Signature at the 12th Fret,
Contoured Body
Strings: Super Bass 8250M NPS,
Gauges: .045, .065, .085, .110TW (Taperwound E),
P/N 073-8250-006
Accessories: Deluxe Gig Bag
Case: Includes Deluxe Gig Bag P/N 0069882000
Introduced: 1/2001
Notice: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in conclusion you shell out £100 extra for a signature and a delux gig bag and a set of tapewound strings, oh yeah neither of them comes with a hard case, the ordinary one comes with a Fender gig bag and the Sting one with a deluxe gig bag

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Johnston' post='812246' date='Apr 20 2010, 09:26 AM']when you think of the extra work to do the contoured body. Is it back and front??

Cost of the better bag 100 dabs isn't too bad.

If it only didn't come with the 12th fret inlay.

If you do a signature bass whats wrong with just the sig on the back of the headstock like the steve harris!

And I've just noticed something, look at the grain in the two pics above!!!![/quote]

Tis the same! Haha

I have the earlier (Fuji Gen Gakki/Ibanez) 51, and by comparison to the Sting I once had (which was for sale in Project Music, Exeter a little while back), mine has a much slimmer front-to-back neck profile. The Sting was a good bass but the neck was rather clubby.
My 51 is my main bass, and even a bit of a personal trademark locally!
Edit: you can always tell my ex-basses - covers, maple tug bar, they all but have 'Dennis' bass' written over them!

Edited by Telebass