Why become a member? ×

Mark King or Flea?

No1skewenjack

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='814835' date='Apr 22 2010, 11:59 AM']Sticks and stones can break my bones.... but it's easy to be a big man from behind a computer screen.

You didn't even read what I wrote. I wasn't even talking about the playing... Ha![/quote]
[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='814264' date='Apr 21 2010, 08:56 PM'][b]It's the same reason people play football I suppose[/b].[/quote]
as for being the "big man", I'd quite happily call you an idiot to your face if you were to make such a stupid comment in my presence. Doesn't mean I'm being the 'big man'.

[quote name='Doddy' post='814851' date='Apr 22 2010, 12:09 PM']Some people do get agressive if you say anything slightly against football
don't they?
:)[/quote]
I think you'll find on rereading that the "big man" talk is the first real allusion toward aggression here.

[quote name='D-L-B' post='815004' date='Apr 22 2010, 02:32 PM']as for being the "big man", I'd quite happily call you an idiot to your face if you were to make such a stupid comment in my presence. Doesn't mean I'm being the 'big man'.

I think you'll find on rereading that the "big man" talk is the first real allusion toward aggression here.[/quote]

Let me explain very slowly.

* I think debating which player is better is pointless because there's no possible useful metric

* I wondered why (seeing as this comes up so often) people seem to keep coming back to this.

* I likened it to a variety of competitive sport...

* ....like football...

* ....a game I don't like.

* So I made a light-hearted remark about how I don't understand why people play football (either).

I honestly don't understand why this makes me an idiot. Even if I am an idiot (which is entirely likely) I don't see why you felt the need to be so rude. Shame!

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='815029' date='Apr 22 2010, 02:50 PM']I honestly don't understand why this makes me an idiot. Even if I am an idiot (which is entirely likely) I don't see why you felt the need to be so rude.[/quote]
So, the entirety of football can be likened to just one small sector of fretw***ing twangy tuneless bass players. Playing football can be likened to discussing which of these bass players is the best?
hmmm.

Woof

[quote name='D-L-B' post='815057' date='Apr 22 2010, 03:07 PM']So, the entirety of football can be likened to just one small sector of fretw***ing twangy tuneless bass players. Playing football can be likened to discussing which of these bass players is the best?
hmmm.

Woof[/quote]

Aaaaargh. You're actually my wife aren't you?? :)

Where the hell did I say that? No.... debating which is best is like a competitive sport - like football. And.... I don't like football. I'm allowed not to like football. *I* don't get why anybody would want to do either. I'm very sorry if I offended your footballing sensibilities. Never my intention.

[quote name='No1skewenjack' post='809491' date='Apr 17 2010, 03:36 PM']I was on the bus the other day and heard some college kids talking about they'er favourite bass player and they were taking about Flea. Saying he was one the best. I dont hear many younger people talk about Mark King. Would you consider him equal or better than flea? I prefer Mark King.

I know they are young but when I was younger I heard of B Edwards and B Collins.[/quote]

MB1. :)
...The Flea and Firkin...Everytime! :rolleyes:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='815070' date='Apr 22 2010, 03:13 PM']Aaaaargh. You're actually my wife aren't you?? :)

Where the hell did I say that? No.... debating which is best is like a competitive sport - like football. And.... I don't like football. I'm allowed not to like football. *I* don't get why anybody would want to do either. I'm very sorry if I offended your footballing sensibilities. Never my intention.[/quote]
It's possibly like tennis, but your football comparison is a load of balls.
When did I ever say I liked football anyway?..

I hate tennis btw.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='815365' date='Apr 22 2010, 07:35 PM']Imagine if they had a love child? F*** me![/quote]

We can only hope said love child is a basschatter!! I'd have to say flea though, reason I started playing bass. Some of the stuff that comes out his bass is unbelivable!

Has anyone got An Mp3 of Level 42 "something about you" they can email me? I know its a damn cheek asking here. But i thought starting a new thread asking for an mp3 would be even cheekier. I have been trying to suss out the rhythm for this and put them together with bass tabs and the two don't add up to my memory of the song:email: reetax at yahoo dot co dot uk

ps: anyone has the bass clef as well ? :)

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='819885' date='Apr 26 2010, 08:19 PM']Has anyone got An Mp3 of Level 42 "something about you" they can email me? I know its a damn cheek asking here. But i thought starting a new thread asking for an mp3 would be even cheekier. I have been trying to suss out the rhythm for this and put them together with bass tabs and the two don't add up to my memory of the song:email: reetax at yahoo dot co dot uk

ps: anyone has the bass clef as well ? :)[/quote]

Contact [email protected]

He's got one.

• 2 weeks later...

Im new here, and cant believe the agression towards Mark King..

He's done so much for bringing bass to the fore, prob more than anyone in the last 30 years.

And to those who just dismiss him as a machine gun slap-bassist...you need to open your minds and ears and really have a listen to Level 42...
Mark is a top top class finger style player too!! as good as anyone on the planet!!...he plays with lots of heart and is well- brilliant at either style he chooses to play....and is a great singer too (the fact that he sings at the same time as playing such amazing basslines is incredible)...give their music and albums a real good listen and dont just dismiss him......who on here has achieved as much as Mark? nobody!!

Edited by Rettoglide1

[quote name='Doddy' post='814851' date='Apr 22 2010, 12:09 PM']Some people do get agressive if you say anything slightly against football
don't they?
:)[/quote]

Football? Isn't that the strange Earth custom where twenty-two men run around in t-shirts and shorts in the middle of winter, chasing a spherical projectile around a wet & muddy field for no apparent reason?

Illogical, Captain.

[quote name='wesfinn' post='832277' date='May 9 2010, 03:36 PM']He is better than mark king flea and jeff berlins moustache all rolled into one![/quote]

Mark King took Grahams style and improved it 1000%....he took it to completely much higher dimensions.

Edited by Rettoglide1

I went to the Larry Graham gig at koko and even as a flea fan that dude is awesome!,He was not that polished compared to a lot of players but if you want a show he is the guy still! He can make one note sound better than most of us on here can with lots of clever and complex things,If you want to listen in depth to some clever stuff onyour ipod maybe none of them but for a great night out Larry 1 ,Flea 2 and King last for me.
But of course I do sometimes talk sh*t!

I think they are both over-rated. Mark King is technically awesome but my god, its like taste and the ability to hold back aren't in his skill set. Although the bass line on 'The Chinese Way' shows he can actually peddle a decent finger style bassline. I hate his tone though.

I would say Flea is less technically proficient but he does at least have a proper bass sound but I don't like RHCP either.

Freddie Washingtons bass line on 'Forget Me Nots' ...now thats how slap bass should be done!!

Edited by TankJon