Why become a member? ×

Endorsements- anyone had one?

I've recently been offered endorsements by a couple of companies and I've been sent PDFs filled with all the requirements that the companies require of me and what they promise to do etc.

am i over reacting or am i right in feeling a little pressured?

i think i have to just keep reminding myself that its cheap sh*t!

i know people on here have had endorsements in the past and i've always dreamed of having one... does anyone have any horror stories?

thanks,
Matt

[quote name='matt_citizenbass' post='799678' date='Apr 8 2010, 12:04 PM']I've recently been offered endorsements by a couple of companies and I've been sent PDFs filled with all the requirements that the companies require of me and what they promise to do etc.

am i over reacting or am i right in feeling a little pressured?

i think i have to just keep reminding myself that its cheap sh*t!

i know people on here have had endorsements in the past and i've always dreamed of having one... does anyone have any horror stories?

thanks,
Matt[/quote]

Pass them onto me if you're unsure :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's just a bit overwhelming seeing a black and white contract!

It can't be as bad as that, else people wouldn't be endorsed :)

Matt, I guess it depends on what exactly you are being 'signed' in to and what you get for your endorsement. After all an endorsement is You saying You use their gear first and foremost, not vice versa.

I know that a lot of companies prefer to deal with endorsements outside signing pieces of paper and legal stuff - as it makes life easier for both parties. - Also - you don't have to be in 'an endorsement' to get 'cheap sh*t'! I feel that if you are after a signed endorsement for cheap gear - then find the company you REALLY want to support offers you a 'deal' - you might possibly be stuck signed into something you don't *really* want to be in?

Get someone to look over the details for you who has no interest in bass or bass gear - as they will see things a lot clearer for you.

I was endorsed by Mum and Dad management ltd for many years.

When ever I needed new strings they came for free. Broken cables were replaced within hours and I was never short of polishs and lemon oil.
Once I even got a Fender 57' CIJ Precision from them TOTALLY FREE!!!

But eventually I had to get a job and the endorsement just seemed to dry up.
Every now and then a pair of socks with bass clefs on might show up around December but its not like the good old days
:)

[quote name='dood' post='799689' date='Apr 8 2010, 12:14 PM']SNIP...
Get someone to look over the details for you who has no interest in bass or bass gear - as they will see things a lot clearer for you.[/quote]

I couldnt agree with this more. I dont have a horror story to back this up but in my experience you should definately get an outside opinion on all the details. To be fair, there is probably nothing to worry about.

A close friend of mine has some sort of deal with Warwick (lucky git) and as far as I know he has never had an issue. All he is asked to do is update them a few times a year with band details, gigs/releases ect but other than that, he is laughing.

Most companies you need to apply to, obviously if you are a megastar the big companies will try to get you to come to them.

Most big companies have an endorsement part to the FAQ on their websites.
Strange things affect endorsements. Bands you never really heard of but play 200 pub/small bar gigs a year can be endorsed by big companies.
Its an exposure thing for them.

Night after night people seeing you playing a... whatever bass looks good for a company even if its not on MTV

I've had 'Artist discount' (40% usually) extended to me by a few of companies over the years, including a couple of small freebies (pedals etc), but I've never needed to sign anything. I think it really depends on your relationship with the company and whoever is running their artist liason!

Si

I don't have any endorsements, mainly because I'm not motivated enough to start pestering manufacturers to endorse me. I also only want to work with companies whose gear I already use, which kind of limits me to Tech Soundsystems/Tecamp, Monster and Fender. I guess I need to develop cheaper tastes. I did approach Tecamp about an endorsement, but have not had a reply. Then again, communications isn't really their strong point. Shame. Most of my bandmates are endorsed by one or more companies though (Blackstar, Rotosound, Axis, Paiste, Feline)

The 'cheap gear' side of endorsements is a sneaky ploy by many companies to sell more stuff. If they sell it to you at trade, they lose nothing by having loads and loads of endorsees. The manufacturer sells more of their gear at no financial disadvantage to themselves and the band get to plaster loads of manufacturer logos over their website, myspace, CD giving themselves extra kudos and the manufacturer even more free advertising. In fact, the cynical person in me might think that it encourages endorsees to invest in more gear or higher end gear which probably has a higher profit margin for the manufacturer (aren't there a number of current/former Warwick endorsees with Hellborg rigs?).

The real value of an endorsement is the support from the manufacturer, either in the form of loan equipment when on tour or access to overseas distributors when touring so that if your rig/instrument does go bang you can gain access to a backup. This kind of arrangement is of great mutual benefit. The endorsee doesn't need to cart additional gear on tour and logistics is a huge part of the cost and there is far less likelihood that the endorsee will have resort to loan equipment from a different manufacturer.

Edited by bassbloke

[quote name='bassbloke' post='799769' date='Apr 8 2010, 01:19 PM']The 'cheap gear' side of endorsements is a sneaky ploy by many companies to sell more stuff. If they sell it to you at trade, they lose nothing by having loads and loads of endorsees. The manufacturer sells more of their gear at no financial disadvantage to themselves and the band get to plaster loads of manufacturer logos over their website, myspace, CD giving themselves extra kudos and the manufacturer even more free advertising. In fact, the cynical person in me might think that it encourages endorsees to invest in more gear or higher end gear which probably has a higher profit margin for the manufacturer (aren't there a number of current/former Warwick endorsees with Hellborg rigs?).

The real value of an endorsement is the support from the manufacturer, either in the form of loan equipment when on tour or access to overseas distributors when touring so that if your rig/instrument does go bang you can gain access to a backup. This kind of arrangement is of great mutual benefit. The endorsee doesn't need to cart additional gear on tour and logistics is a huge part of the cost and there is far less likelihood that the endorsee will have resort to loan equipment from a different manufacturer.[/quote]

I have to disagree with some of this, the promotion an artist recieves by being on a major companies website is a good thing.
I strongly believe that promoters and such will go for an endorsed band over a non endorsed one a lot of the time, its almost like a gatekeeper.

However what you said about support is completely true, this does worry me when people talk about endorsements from small companies with no european distribution or presence.
If you are endorsed by a small UK luthier for instance and are on a month long tour round europe and your gear gets stolen how are you going to get loaners or replacements?
At least with one of the big guns you know there will be a presence in the country that can help you out

I've got a couple of endorsement deals at the moment,neither of which has required me to
sign anything.I've had a couple of freebies,but mostly I get major discounts on the gear,which
is great.It's also useful as the companies I'm with are not widely available in the UK at the
moment so I deal direct with them and not their distributor,and I really like their products.
I was recently offered a deal with a very well known amp company,but after discussion I
chose to turn it down,as it meant dealing solely with the UK distributor and had no real benefit
to me as a player,other than trade price-which is alright,but not enough for me to move away
from my current rig.
As far as getting them,the amp offer came through a conversation with the distributors,while the
others came from me enquiring about their products-I didn't actually ask for any kind of endorsement.
I've spoken to some companies and have been asked about things like record sales and who my
band and manager is,whereas others have shown interest purely on my playing ability and the amount
of work that I do.

[quote name='Jase' post='800474' date='Apr 9 2010, 02:53 AM']I think when an artist ends up on a string packet, in a magazine with a product or on a poster, etc etc, then that's the real deal.[/quote]

Yeah completely agree...all my artist discount arrangements have been because I've paid for and used my chosen gear for a while, and through various channels and for various reasons, become friendly with the companies as a result. This has led to me being extended discounts, but not listed on websites and posters etc....to be honest, I quite like it that way, there's none of that pressure that the OP mentions with having to sign agreements etc.
I get discounts off the back of being a loyal customer and busy player, but at the same time I'm not tied into any exclusivities

Si

I was offered an endorsement for Peavey a couple of years ago.
I loved those Peavey Cirrus basses and in a local shop I was asked by someone who worked there who had seen me play a couple of times if I would be interested in Peavey gear.
I was interested and I met the Peavey representant. He told me to go to Frankfurt (the music fair) and check out the Peavey stuff and write down what I wanted.
So I did but after a couple of months I gave it all back. I used Peavey amps and speakers but they couldn't compete with the material I already had (Epifani gear) and I preferred other basses like my Wal etc..
There wasn't any real pressure to use it all of the time (I did in some tv-shows) but I felt more at ease when I returned it. It was mentionned that I would have to give some sort of bass clinic but I wasn't keen on that idea since that isn't the easiest thing to do..

[quote name='Jase' post='800474' date='Apr 9 2010, 02:53 AM']You don't get any artist page, posters or press with Artist/Trade deals, 40% off, that's your lot :) Which is great but don't get them confused...like me, I did it with Hartke..."Hartke Endorsed" "Endorsed by Hartke" It means absolutely nothing. Don't get me wrong I appreciated the discount prices and it was nice to be able to order something at a discount price, nice people too :rolleyes: but that's as far as it goes.[/quote]

Which is why I turned down the amp deal.
If a company wants you to promote them,I don't think it's arrogant to ask for
a mention and link on the artist page if their website. But as alot of these
deals are actually with the distributors and not the actual company,this is
unlikely to happen.

One signed band I was in In the early 90s got me loads of free strings from rotosound(?)I think it was. didnt do owt, signed nowt they just turned up!! with managment company,regularly, and were adressed to me, by name.
happy days at the time!!.......ceased as mysteriously as it started ....oh well, never got to the bottom of that one...
Nice one though eh?

OOpps..
hope I dont get a bill now(!!!) :)

Edited by witterth

My function band have a few 'endorsements' or 'Sponsorships'.... It suits us particularly on the pro audio side as when we play abroad we know that we can be sure of the same equipment set up as we are used to. I have a deal with Gallien Krueger for the same reason. I'm not a named Artiste.... of course not.... but I do give them exposure in exchange for a reliable product, back-up support and can always get the amp I want on tour.

I think it really depends on what you want from the deal and what they expect from the deal.