Why become a member? ×

Compact plus one or Midget?

davidmpires

I found myself in need of another cab. Not that the Compact is not loud enough but I want to be able to have two cabs for bigger gigs.

Anyway so how many of you have additions to the Compact?

I have one, but I'm unsure as to what would be best. Another Compact or a Midget?

Cheers

David

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='797089' date='Apr 5 2010, 11:53 PM']....If you want the same sound but louder, another Compact. Maybe get the tweeter one if you want the top bit....[/quote]
+1

Just my opinion, but if you've got one Compact and you want more then 2 would be the way to go. I tried 2 Compacts at the Bass Bash and they sounded huge. They were loud, full toned and didn't even break sweat when we turned the Thunderfunk up to 11.

[quote name='chris_b' post='797154' date='Apr 6 2010, 02:55 AM']+1

Just my opinion, but if you've got one Compact and you want more then 2 would be the way to go. I tried 2 Compacts at the Bass Bash and they sounded huge. They were loud, full toned and didn't even break sweat when we turned the Thunderfunk up to 11.[/quote]

Yeah I think that another Compact might do, but I don't really want to spend the cash if I can avoid it. Would like to try that setup first, to see how it sounds.

Suppose you could try the free solution of stick the Compact on a box. In theory I think that might not work as well as with other cabs since its dispersion is good (although I might be thinking of the Big One, and 15s are much of a muchness as far as that is concerned), but it is free to try.

[quote name='JackLondon' post='797272' date='Apr 6 2010, 10:08 AM']If you want I can lend you mine to see if it suits you, however you'd have to pick it up from me in North London.

Cheers
Jack[/quote]

That would be appreciatted. Where abouts in North London? I drive often into town so could sort something out before I go to the reharsals...that's probably the best place to try them out....
might book an hour in studio to test it fully.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='797269' date='Apr 6 2010, 10:03 AM']Suppose you could try the free solution of stick the Compact on a box. In theory I think that might not work as well as with other cabs since its dispersion is good (although I might be thinking of the Big One, and 15s are much of a muchness as far as that is concerned), but it is free to try.[/quote]

Not sure I'm aware of that technique/theory.

If you already own a Compact I would generally recommend adding a Midget unless you need HUGE bottom. The Midget adds a useful amount of extra midrange punch, plus it's an absolutely tiny cab that will play louder than any other 1x12" you can buy - in fact I don't even know of any 2x10"s that are louder. You would thus have a tiny cab that is plenty loud enough for rehearsals, smaller gigs or even large gigs when you have subs, a mid-sized cab that can cover stuff where more bottom is needed and then the combined 15"+12" stack which will roar through the loudest rock band with more oomph and punch than the best 4x10"s.

There aren't many Midgets out there compared to Compacts, what with it being a newer model but I feel they're getting a bit overlooked, probably due to the copy on our website suggesting the Compact is often a better choice. Yes, the Compact is more sensitive in the lows but the Midget can still roundly spank all 1x12"s and most 2x10"s when it comes to producing fat bottom thanks to its high excursion speaker and high flow port. It needs power to do so but how at least it can handle the power - other small cabs that can handle even close to 300W without exceeding Xmax are few and far between.

i can recommend Alex's suggestion on this.

i have a compact and t-midget. it's a massive sound, and very versatile. at first the midget actually seemed louder than the compact, until the compact 'broke in'.

the t-midget really cuts through noisy guitars, and it packs a hell of a punch for it's diminutive size.

neither of the guitarists could believe it when they first heard the two together.

I've had my Compact for about 9 months now and I absolutely love it. It suits me in every way. I do intend to get around to writing a review for the Barefaced website.

I'd like to add a Midget when finances allow but , in the meantime, I might have to make do with my Markbass cmd121 combo on top. (for a big wedding gig)

Any thoughts on how this might work Alex et al?

Frank.

It's certainly perfectly workable if you have a separate amp driving the Compact. If the combo's amp is also pushing the Compact then you'll have to keep the volume down to stop the 12" in the combo farting out, which means you might only get as loud as with the Compact on its own, which rather defeats the purpose of the extra speaker!

• 4 months later...

A minor thread resurrection but I'm also considering a second cab to go with my Compact. I really like the sound of the Compact, and like the idea of a second one the same, however a Compact + Midget would be a much easier fit in my car and I like the idea of using a Midget by itself for cafe gigs and quiet practice.

So a few questions for Alex or anybody else who might know:

1. Is there much or any difference in sensitivity and power handling between a Compact + Compact and Compact + Midget stack? Does the double-Compact sound appreciably louder?

2. Is there any (apparent or otherwise) loss of low end with a Compact + Midget compared to a solo Compact (due to the strong midrange on the Midget)?

3. Is there any disadvantage from a sound point of view in stacking the Compact on top of the Midget instead of the other way around? The only ask because I use a Shuttle which doesn't sit nicely on strap handles.

I'd also be very interested on hearing of people's experiences using Compact + Anything rigs. I've been keeping an eye on the tour threads but not much has happened yet :-).

Thanks all!

On an iPhone so quoting is a bit hard! Answers to your three questions below:

1. No, Midget/Compact is as loud as Compact/Compact, just less fat in the lower mids and leaner in the lows. Ultimate LF output is lower but it's still more than any 4x10" can manage.

2. No, none at all. You gain loudness, thickness and punch whilst the bottom doesn't get fatter but it gets bigger and deeper.

3. Yes. Put the Midget on the top - polar response is really good like that, which makes a big difference to real world performance. If your amp wobbles get some foam rubber matting or ask us for some foam tape to stick to your amp.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='950352' date='Sep 9 2010, 10:23 AM']3. Yes. Put the Midget on the top - polar response is really good like that, which makes a big difference to real world performance. If your amp wobbles get some foam rubber matting or ask us for some foam tape to stick to your amp.[/quote]

Sorry for hijack, but what's this about foam tape? I daren't tilt the Midget cos my Doubler is so light it'll just slide off the top if I do. :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='950352' date='Sep 9 2010, 09:23 AM']On an iPhone so quoting is a bit hard! Answers to your three questions below:

1. No, Midget/Compact is as loud as Compact/Compact, just less fat in the lower mids and leaner in the lows. Ultimate LF output is lower but it's still more than any 4x10" can manage.

2. No, none at all. You gain loudness, thickness and punch whilst the bottom doesn't get fatter but it gets bigger and deeper.

3. Yes. Put the Midget on the top - polar response is really good like that, which makes a big difference to real world performance. If your amp wobbles get some foam rubber matting or ask us for some foam tape to stick to your amp.[/quote]
Thanks for the answers, very useful! This confirms what I suspected, that a Midget is the way to go. Time to start saving...