Why become a member? ×

F1 head

karlthebassist

[quote name='dood' post='801824' date='Apr 10 2010, 02:45 PM']Yes, it can do deep, dub, middley old skool tones and motown with those lovely controls, as well as ultra flat & hifi - but don't expect it to do 'dirty' - as it is a very clean amp. That said - drop an M80 pedal or similar in front of it and it will rattle ya jaw bone :)[/quote]

so WHY did you sell yours? I bought mine partly because of what you'd said about it.

It just sounds so big - it's free-breathing if that makes sense. Don't think I'll ever get rid of mine, I might by another as a spare though!

If you are looking for old school you should look at the TC Electronics RH450. My F500 is a real nice piece of kit and about as loud as anyone should need, but it is very clean and punchy and the VLE serves to soften the sound but doesn't add any grit or low down 'omph' that a good valve amp or the RH450 does.

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='801831' date='Apr 10 2010, 02:51 PM']so WHY did you sell yours? I bought mine partly because of what you'd said about it.[/quote]

Because I don't know how to stop this G.A.S affliction that makes me sell stuff ridiculously! Let's take a look at the evidence:

1x Ampeg SVT 2 Pro
2x Hartke cabs
2 x Ampeg SVPs
1x Ampeg BSP
2x Tech Soundsystem cabinets
1x Powersoft power amplifier
2x Tobias basses
1x Epifani UL 610
1x F1
1x TC GForce
1x BDDI
1x M80 (yeah I bought another)
1 x Multicomp (yup - bought the new version)
1x Warwick Quadruplet
1x Status Fretless 6

and there's plenty more I am ashamed to say! The F1 was defintely a favourite and should have been a keeper - it's so small, it wouldn't have gotten in the way if it stayed as a back up!

[quote name='dood' post='801859' date='Apr 10 2010, 03:24 PM']Because I don't know how to stop this G.A.S affliction that makes me sell stuff ridiculously! Let's take a look at the evidence:

1x Ampeg SVT 2 Pro
2x Hartke cabs
2 x Ampeg SVPs
1x Ampeg BSP
2x Tobias basses
1x Epifani UL 610
1x F1
1x TC GForce
1x BDDI
1x Warwick Quadruplet
1x Status Fretless 6

and there's plenty more I am ashamed to say! The F1 was defintely a favourite and should have been a keeper - it's so small, it wouldn't have gotten in the way if it stayed as a back up![/quote]
:rolleyes:
And long may it continue mate :lol:

I now have a splendid cab because of this list :lol:

Just a petty you never had the Powersoft at the same time :)

Most inconsiderate , I'd say .

How's the new gear panning out ? Drop us a line .

[quote name='E sharp' post='801979' date='Apr 10 2010, 06:18 PM']:rolleyes:
And long may it continue mate :lol:

I now have a splendid cab because of this list :lol:

Just a petty you never had the Powersoft at the same time :)

Most inconsiderate , I'd say .

How's the new gear panning out ? Drop us a line .[/quote]

Heh heh! Hi matey! - I know, that amp *did* stay a long while in my gear though! - To be honest I'm not sure what is fuelling my constant gear GASsing. I think it's this place!!! - Maybe it's just my inner yearning to play with new toys all the time!! ha ha!

Yup, I'll drop you a line v soon - as for the Hartke - the only thing it's running with at the moment is fresh air, as I haven't got an amp to play with - it's inside the ISP 'active' cab! ha ha!! - I reckon if an LH1000 comes up, that will be a good pairing!

What are they like for funk sounds? I play a lot of fingerstyle and slap and wonder how the F1 or F500 would cope with this?

I don't like Mark Bass cabs - too wooly and not enough definition for me but I did hear some MB heads through various cabs at Bass Direct a while ago and have to say that I was pretty impressed! Enough to consider changing from my Aggie AG500SC. Nothing wrong with this head but I just think it runs out of steam a bit when working the GS112. Now I could take both the Epi and Aggie cabs out and it would probably be fine but I do like the size of the 112 and when you are going through a PA there is no need for a huge backline anyway.

The size and weight of the MB heads is very appealing right now - could walk to a gig with all my gear in two hands easily.

[quote name='dood' post='801824' date='Apr 10 2010, 02:45 PM']Yes, it can do deep, dub, middley old skool tones and motown with those lovely controls, as well as ultra flat & hifi - but don't expect it to do 'dirty' - as it is a very clean amp. That said - drop an M80 pedal or similar in front of it and it will rattle ya jaw bone :)[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='802376' date='Apr 11 2010, 09:50 AM']What are they like for funk sounds? I play a lot of fingerstyle and slap and wonder how the F1 or F500 would cope with this?

I don't like Mark Bass cabs - too wooly and not enough definition for me but I did hear some MB heads through various cabs at Bass Direct a while ago and have to say that I was pretty impressed! Enough to consider changing from my Aggie AG500SC. Nothing wrong with this head but I just think it runs out of steam a bit when working the GS112. Now I could take both the Epi and Aggie cabs out and it would probably be fine but I do like the size of the 112 and when you are going through a PA there is no need for a huge backline anyway.

The size and weight of the MB heads is very appealing right now - could walk to a gig with all my gear in two hands easily.[/quote]

I think where it really shines through is with funky fingerstyle, aggressive pick playing and a good old bit of slap. The sound is so percussive from the head. If a detailed, bright, snappy and controlled sound is your thing, then I don't think there is much not to like about the F1.

That is what I feared - GAS attack coming on!!!

Subjective question this but do you think that running at 4ohms it would be a more poweful/louder amp than the AG500?

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='802391' date='Apr 11 2010, 10:19 AM']I think where it really shines through is with funky fingerstyle, aggressive pick playing and a good old bit of slap. The sound is so percussive from the head. If a detailed, bright, snappy and controlled sound is your thing, then I don't think there is much not to like about the F1.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='802398' date='Apr 11 2010, 10:27 AM']That is what I feared - GAS attack coming on!!!

Subjective question this but do you think that running at 4ohms it would be a more poweful/louder amp than the AG500?[/quote]

Can't answer that, but I run mine either into a 1x12 or 2 1x12 bergs, and when I add the second one it really opens up the sound.

How about an a/b test at bass direct?

I tried the F1 with various cabs at bass direct, for me it gelled with a pair
of bergs.

Cheers
martin

[quote name='dood' post='801859' date='Apr 10 2010, 03:24 PM']Because I don't know how to stop this G.A.S affliction that makes me sell stuff ridiculously! Let's take a look at the evidence:

1x Ampeg SVT 2 Pro
2x Hartke cabs
2 x Ampeg SVPs
1x Ampeg BSP
2x Tobias basses
1x Epifani UL 610
1x F1
1x TC GForce
1x BDDI
1x Warwick Quadruplet
1x Status Fretless 6

and there's plenty more I am ashamed to say! The F1 was defintely a favourite and should have been a keeper - it's so small, it wouldn't have gotten in the way if it stayed as a back up![/quote]

Edited by martinbass7750

Are the features of the f500 worth the extra money?

Just looking around at the F1 prices at the moment, as I have a serious amp addiction. It seems the extra features on the F500 are £150 extra...

What is a reasonable price for the F1 new?

Edited by Musicman20

Can't see a single 12 doing it at anything but low volumes...and that is pretty much hamstringing the amp, IMO..and pushing the cab alot..

Whereas, 2x1x12.... that is another story.

A very portable and big sounding mini rig...although nothing mini about the sound, IMV.

Or running the 2x10 and 1x12 for the same effect?!!

[quote name='JTUK' post='802750' date='Apr 11 2010, 04:34 PM']Can't see a single 12 doing it at anything but low volumes...and that is pretty much hamstringing the amp, IMO..and pushing the cab alot..

Whereas, 2x1x12.... that is another story.

A very portable and big sounding mini rig...although nothing mini about the sound, IMV.[/quote]

How do you find it through the 2x10?

How high up do you have to crank up the volume for gigs/full rehearsals?

[quote name='jmsjabb' post='802927' date='Apr 11 2010, 07:16 PM']I run my F1 through a 2x10 cabinet. I will eventually get a 15 to add / complete the set up.[/quote]

I've got the F500, which I prefer greatly over the F1. Flat, they sound identical, but I just really need those semi-parametric mids to tame my double bass... I never use the mute - still unplugs by habit. But overall, amazing sounds - I just can't beleive that it's only 2 kg!

[quote name='BoomBass' post='804240' date='Apr 12 2010, 09:47 PM']I've got the F500, which I prefer greatly over the F1. Flat, they sound identical, but I just really need those semi-parametric mids to tame my double bass... I never use the mute - still unplugs by habit. But overall, amazing sounds - I just can't beleive that it's only 2 kg![/quote]

Been looking at that very beast today.

Is the semi-parametric basically a sweepable notch filter, rather than a proper parametrric with Q?

Not that it matter if it works ok for taming feedback. What do you think? Alernative seems to be the EA Doubler.

Edited by fatback

1x Ampeg SVT 2 Pro
2x Hartke cabs
2 x Ampeg SVPs
1x Ampeg BSP
2x Tobias basses
1x Epifani UL 610
1x F1
1x TC GForce
1x BDDI
1x Warwick Quadruplet
1x Status Fretless 6

Tried to reply with my phone last week but it didn't work!

That's quite an array of gear, and it's not everything!

I keep getting a yearning to try out different gear, but then I put my logical head on, remember how much it cost me every time I changed, then play through my current rig and the GAS seems to fizzle out!

It's definitely a toy thing for me.

Just for the record, here's my gear list:

Peavey MAX450
Peavey 410 cab (sold because it was doing my back in)
Peavey MAX700

EBS NEO210
Ashdown MAG410T
EBS NEO212
Eden WT405

And the current rig
F1
2 x Berg AE112 cabs

Basses:

Ibanez GSR200
Ibanez SR505
Lakland Skyline 55-01
Fender Highway One Jazz
Clover Apeiron H4
Overwater Perception

Still have the SR505 (because it looks nice on the wall), Clover and Overwater.

Not too bad in just over 5 years I guess!

Slight hijack of the F1 thread, but I just LOVE the F1. Nearly bought an F500 as it had a mute switch and looked cool, but in the end i got the F1 limited edition in red.

Cheers

Martin

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='806519' date='Apr 14 2010, 09:03 PM']Guys,

Had a good chat with Mark at Bass Direct today ref an F1 head and he really believes that a GS112 by itself will not work well with an F1 head. Apparently 2 x Bergantino 1x12's would work much better.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?[/quote]

TWO GS112s would be really really nice. One would be fine for quiter gigs. Depends on what you want to spend really.

Not keen on changing cabs at all really to be honest as I like both of them!! Also not sure on the sense of having to carry to separate cabs to a gig if the idea of a lightweight head is to reduce the load of gear going out to each gig?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='806547' date='Apr 14 2010, 09:25 PM']TWO GS112s would be really really nice. One would be fine for quiter gigs. Depends on what you want to spend really.[/quote]