Why become a member? ×

F1 head

karlthebassist

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='806612' date='Apr 14 2010, 10:14 PM']Not keen on changing cabs at all really to be honest as I like both of them!! Also not sure on the sense of having to carry to separate cabs to a gig if the idea of a lightweight head is to reduce the load of gear going out to each gig?[/quote]

Ah, well I'd defintely stick with the GS112. Aguilar cabs tend to mix well with most amps.

A lot of people use those cabs as they are a good price, still high end gear, and plenty of low end.

If you are worried about mids the F500 gives you more control.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='806519' date='Apr 14 2010, 09:03 PM']Guys,

Had a good chat with Mark at Bass Direct today ref an F1 head and he really believes that a GS112 by itself will not work well with an F1 head. Apparently 2 x Bergantino 1x12's would work much better.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?[/quote]

I can confirm that 2 x 1 x 12 bergs work really well with the F1, but don't know the aggies.

Mark is usually spot on with his advice, but it's always worth taking your cabs to try with an F1 at his shop.

Cheers Martin

Seems like the most sensible option Martin.

Will do just that and see how I get on.

[quote name='martinbass7750' post='806787' date='Apr 15 2010, 07:24 AM']I can confirm that 2 x 1 x 12 bergs work really well with the F1, but don't know the aggies.

Mark is usually spot on with his advice, but it's always worth taking your cabs to try with an F1 at his shop.

Cheers Martin[/quote]

From my experience there's nothing like the real thing. We can speculate as much as we want but we never know until we tried it.

That's what i did when I bought my RS210 to go on top of the Compact and run by an F1, they "just work" but nor me nor Alex or anyone I know could predict their behaviour.

I use 2 GS112 and really like the scoop atm. I have an amp that can put in mids if I feel they are missing but the GS's are sounding nice and neutral if that is the way to describe a cab with a scoop. By that, I mean, that the sound of the cabs is the sound of the bass which is very useable AND quite rare, IME, to get a cab that doesn't change your sound too much when you turn up the amp.

I really liked the GS112 but I needed two cabs on some gigs. But those two will cover all my gigs as the amp will run out of steam before the cabs do. I was in the same position as you with the one GS.. and whether to go to 2 or another type of 12. If one GS does not do it, then I can't see any other 12 being enough on its own or at least the ones mentioned so far.
I went for another GS112 as they are superb value, light enough and sound great as a pair. I am not so far into this experiment to know for sure but everything sounds very good so far and I have no thoughts about changing yet. The indications are that these are my best sounding cabs yet in the context of my gear.

[quote name='JTUK' post='806885' date='Apr 15 2010, 09:57 AM']I use 2 GS112 and really like the scoop atm. I have an amp that can put in mids if I feel they are missing but the GS's are sounding nice and neutral if that is the way to describe a cab with a scoop. By that, I mean, that the sound of the cabs is the sound of the bass which is very useable AND quite rare, IME, to get a cab that doesn't change your sound too much when you turn up the amp.

I really liked the GS112 but I needed two cabs on some gigs. But those two will cover all my gigs as the amp will run out of steam before the cabs do. I was in the same position as you with the one GS.. and whether to go to 2 or another type of 12. If one GS does not do it, then I can't see any other 12 being enough on its own or at least the ones mentioned so far.
I went for another GS112 as they are superb value, light enough and sound great as a pair. I am not so far into this experiment to know for sure but everything sounds very good so far and I have no thoughts about changing yet. The indications are that these are my best sounding cabs yet in the context of my gear.[/quote]

Seems like a bit of an oxymoron, if the cabs scoop the mids then you are not hearing your bass, but your bass with scooped mids.

If you like it then great, but its not the sound of your bass.

The GS do have a little dip in the mids, but there are a huge amount of players who use the 2 x GS112 setup. There is a chap on here who went the AE112 route then went back to his original rig of GS112 x 2. It all depends what you are looking for I guess :)

There is no way any of us can say what is right until you have heard them. One players 'awesome' is another players 'sterile' etc etc.

I have tested the AEs and they did sound nice, but there is a mid aggressiveness to them....now some people LOVE that, but then again if you think about it, mid hump or mid scoop, its all down to your ears.

The F1 is a bloody good amp....I cant imagine many cabs sound bad with it.

There is one point to mention, if you have a high end bass or a bass you really like the tone of, the markbass amps will sound good anyway, pretty much no matter what cabs you go for if you are spending a fair decent whack.

I kind of agree with the mid hump, mid scoop analogy. How flat is flat..? what about the EQ on the amp that may or may not promote one or other of these sounds.

What is natural..who cares..? what works for you works for you.

I can see the point of people posting their thoughts but we aren't trying to sell anything..

Try out some of these examples and see where it takes you. I think that once you get a certain level of kit..it is down to preference anyway.
Although price cannot be ignored completely either.

To get back to the F1... I am not sure it offers anything different from what I have...although it may be a fine piece of kit, as I believe Markbass amps are. I am in the market for a differnet voicing atm...

See...that EQ thing again. :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='806519' date='Apr 14 2010, 09:03 PM']Guys,

Had a good chat with Mark at Bass Direct today ref an F1 head and he really believes that a GS112 by itself will not work well with an F1 head. Apparently 2 x Bergantino 1x12's would work much better.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?[/quote]

Being cynical, is that because Mark doesn't sell Aguilar but does sell Berg ?

Have a look on Talkbass, there's a guy there called KJung who's really knowledgeable. He's tried pretty much every amp/cab combination that you can imagine. I've read loads of times that GS12's match really well with the F1 head.

Edited by Soliloquy

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='810920' date='Apr 18 2010, 11:33 PM']Being cynical, is that because Mark doesn't sell Aguilar but does sell Berg ?

Have a look on Talkbass, there's a guy there called KJung who's really knowledgeable. He's tried pretty much every amp/cab combination that you can imagine. I've read loads of times that GS12's match really well with the F1 head.[/quote]

Yep, KJung is great for gear knowledge!

It all depends on the budget and tone goal. You are less likely to lose a lot of money if you sell on some GS112s as they aren't hugely expensive anyway.

That did cross my mind as I work in sales!!!

Also the OP on this thread stated how good the F1 sounds with a GS112 cab.

It does look like I would be wide to purchase a 2nd GS112 though as two together seems to be favoured by nearly everyone!

Mark

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='810920' date='Apr 18 2010, 11:33 PM']Being cynical, is that because Mark doesn't sell Aguilar but does sell Berg ?

Have a look on Talkbass, there's a guy there called KJung who's really knowledgeable. He's tried pretty much every amp/cab combination that you can imagine. I've read loads of times that GS12's match really well with the F1 head.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='811027' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:04 AM']That did cross my mind as I work in sales!!!

Also the OP on this thread stated how good the F1 sounds with a GS112 cab.

It does look like I would be wide to purchase a 2nd GS112 though as two together seems to be favoured by nearly everyone!

Mark[/quote]

I added a second and am now able to sell my SWR cabs. Maybe the SWR 2x10 has more hi mid bias but this doesn't endorse plug in and play
and although the sound can be great the two cabs don't fit in my car as well as 2 GS's do.

Very easy on the ear sound last night with 2 GS112's, a perfect underpinning of the band as they don't lack bass at all.
Lovely funky little cabs IMV.

So stage 1 in my plan is complete..they have replaced my present incumbents.. :) :lol

What head are you using with the GS112's?

[quote name='JTUK' post='811065' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:36 AM']I added a second and am now able to sell my SWR cabs. Maybe the SWR 2x10 has more hi mid bias but this doesn't endorse plug in and play
and although the sound can be great the two cabs don't fit in my car as well as 2 GS's do.

Very easy on the ear sound last night with 2 GS112's, a perfect underpinning of the band as they don't lack bass at all.
Lovely funky little cabs IMV.

So stage 1 in my plan is complete..they have replaced my present incumbents.. :) :lol[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='811071' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:43 AM']What head are you using with the GS112's?[/quote]

SWR SM400..which a lot of people think has the same traits as Markbass which I can see if they are talking about the LMll/lll's.

Because this head is a classic, and only 18lbs with a valve pre, I've not been inclined to go for a MB update.
The guys on TB think this is the same sort of sound and they are a lot more into these type of things, I think.

When I posted a thread about replacing this SM400...a lot of people pointed me towards Markbass but I am not sure there is anything to be gained
for the outlay and I want to keep the SM400.
I have been offered a SM400s and SM500 but apart from the ground lift and the increase in power of my 400watts into 4 ohms, I can't see the point of that update either.

If I needeed to buy an amp, then that would be different.

I would add that since I have added two new basses, my sound has gone up a notch and then some, but now with 2 GS112's it has gone up again.
The SWR 10 and 15 can add depth and punch but the GS's are smoother.
My basses have a lot of EQ so the experiment isn't complete and may take a few gigs to settle in, but I have never had more comments on my sound.
I put that down to the basses as well, but the SWR 15 cab can run away with the bass end whereas the GS does not..or not so far in the places I have played.

If it were me..and I thought long and hard about this, as I wasn't convinced 2 GS's would work better, I would adda GS112 to your Ag500 and see where that takes you. Cheapest solution atm... rather than buying amps etc ..
Second hand GS112 is around £250 and new £365 inc del..

Edited by JTUK