Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass

yorick

Good stuff Si.
Jack's amp is the one that got me converted.
Mine gets its first public outing tomorrow. Huge church hall with a very high ceiling. Be interesting to hear how it copes.
The TC cabs have proved a great match so far in rehearsals in two very different rooms. Great old school in your face bass response. Just what I was looking for.

Played mine through an EBS 410 at a gig a couple of weeks ago, it was the first time I had used it with a 4ohm cab, jeebus it was loud. I play in a folk band so I had to set the volume at lowest possible position where sound still comes out, even then I could only hear bass on stage.

Second gig tonight.
EQ still flat, no need to touch anything really, again, tiny bit more gain than volume. Used my MIA Jazz bass (which is the best Jazz I've ever played), tone all the way up, bridge pickup all up, neck pickup about 1/2 up I think.
Similar to last night, fantastic!!, bearing in mind I'm using this into an 8ohm cab, it's got volume and tone in abundance.

I'm not sure what the issue was with the other member here who was complaining of it lacking low end, I find it very full across the frequencies, nothing is lacking IMO.

Jack.......I may not give it back lol

Si

Really pleased with how the OTB & TC cabs sounded on Saturday. It was a difficult room to control the sound. Lots of natural reverb.
They really cut through well though. Lots of oomph and they sounded great with a bit of Bass Big Muff too.
I let the bass player from the other band use it as his 1970s Acoustic head went fftttt on soundhcheck.
He was using a headless, active Sei bass and was playing funky slappy stuff. So chalk and cheese from me and the Precision thump.
He sounded great. Very warm and punchy but with definition too. He is now going to get himself an Orange Terror too. He couldn't believe how good it sounded.
It's really hard to get a bad sound out of one of these heads. I just need to find a PA that can keep up now.

[quote name='paul h' post='811474' date='Apr 19 2010, 03:59 PM']Good to hear that these can be versatile too then. These are rapidly climbing my Gas list![/quote]

He was playing 70s/80s style funk (and was a really good player too) so it suited it really well.

You should get commission HJ. The pity was he was interested in the Trace combo I'm selling until he used the Orange. :)

Hey guys - a good friend of mine has said he can get hold Orange bass heads/cabs at knock-down prices (all perfectly legit, I promise! :) ).

I'm playing in a rock/pop/alternative 5-piece, nothing too heavy but the bass sound I'm looking forward to is a decent punchy bottome-end with nice rounded mid to high end tone. I play a Status Graphite Series I, originally through a Trace Elliott AH300-12 (sadly now defunct) and a Peavey 4 x 10 cab. I'm looking to play small to medium-sized venues for now.

For those of you who know the Orange amps, would the Terror bass 500 head carry enough punch for these size venues (I presume at 500W it would be!) and is it suitable for the tone I'm looking for? Ideally I'm looking to avoid that "metallic" sound that some amps naturally produce (eg Ampeg).

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Dave

Edited by stilllifebass

[quote name='stilllifebass' post='811812' date='Apr 19 2010, 08:30 PM']Hey guys - a good friend of mine has said he can get hold Orange bass heads/cabs at knock-down prices (all perfectly legit, I promise! :) ).

I'm playing in a rock/pop/alternative 5-piece, nothing too heavy but the bass sound I'm looking forward to is a decent punchy bottome-end with nice rounded mid to high end tone. I play a Status Graphite Series I, originally through a Trace Elliott AH300-12 (sadly now defunct) and a Peavey 4 x 10 cab. I'm looking to play small to medium-sized venues for now.

For those of you who know the Orange amps, would the Terror bass 500 head carry enough punch for these size venues (I presume at 500W it would be!) and is it suitable for the tone I'm looking for? Ideally I'm looking to avoid that "metallic" sound that some amps naturally produce (eg Ampeg).

Dave[/quote]

More than enough punch Dave. I doubt you'll ever get near halfway on the master volume.
They sound very warm. 'Metallic' sound? It's 'grind' rather than 'zing' if that makes sense? It depends how much gain you whack on.
Plenty of fundamental bottom and the mids and highs are nice and smooth. You don't get any sort of 'hi-fi' tone which is fine by me.
As I say the bloke with the Sei sounded great and he said my precision did too. I'm sure a lot depends on the cab/s too.
Try one if you can.

Ad

I used to have one of these. My observations:

1) Loud. I used to play this in a loud, post-rock ban, battling guitarists, keyboards and drums. It could be heard, sitting in the mix, at volume on 3 and gain on 1. Despite this, if you cranked it up another 3 notches it wouldn't 'double' in volume, if you know what i mean. Still, it is louder than most people would ever need.

2) The EQ did a very nice job, to get that Orange character through, without having an AD200B. It was impressive that a little 4KG Class-D head with a couple of 12AX7's , could have so much valve-y character. However, i liked the EQ on flat - but think that is where it should stay. I couldn't get the boost the mids to the extent of being able to cut through that massive wall of sound coming from my band mates. In all fairness, competing against thick synthetic sounds very various keyboards and heavily effected guitar, it did well. Ideally though i just needed a wee bit more. I used it with a '78 P-Bass, i will go as far as to say this amp made the bass even less versatile.

3) The D.I. I gigged my one several times, at several big venues with some very professional sound engineers. None of them could get anything but distorted, hot sound. I was told this wasn't a problem with the amp, but with where they were all plugging it in at. Still, it must've been different to the norm for them to make the mistake.

4) The weight. Okay, so being so light is a merit for most people... just not for me. I used mine with a Matamp 212, 900W @ 4ohm. I had to tape the head down to the cab, because it liked to go walkabouts whenever i dropped on to the E string. The other thing i found was i just needed that weight. Some weird psychological trait of mines perhaps, but i just needed that '' weighty, packed with valves and more power than i'd ever use '' kinda amp. Hence why i bought a Mesa 400+

So, to conclude. Try one out mate.

[quote name='stilllifebass' post='811812' date='Apr 19 2010, 08:30 PM']Hey guys - a good friend of mine has said he can get hold Orange bass heads/cabs at knock-down prices (all perfectly legit, I promise! :) ).

Dave[/quote]

What´s he reckon a ´knock down price´ for these is then?
Where´s he getting them from.
Am looking for a Terror Bass aswell.

[quote name='Alfie' post='808331' date='Apr 16 2010, 12:51 PM']Played mine through an EBS 410 at a gig a couple of weeks ago, it was the first time I had used it with a 4ohm cab, jeebus it was loud. I play in a folk band so I had to set the volume at lowest possible position where sound still comes out, even then I could only hear bass on stage.[/quote]

Good to hear that as that's gonna be my rig for the next gig I do. I'll be using my Bass Terror with my EBS 410 running at 4Ohms and I'm so looking forward to how it'll sound in a gig setting.

I'm pleased it's gonna be loud and punchy. Somehow I've managed to convince myself that using "only" a single 410 won't sound as full and loud as my usual two cabs! :)