Why become a member? ×

'Relicing' a Bass

merello

I have another idea for ya.....

Take one VMJ bass, play it for a few weeks and then get fed up with the nice natural finish. Next, dismantle it and with a £3 sanding block (fine grade) rub off the clear varnish. Next, go to Halfords and buy a can of satin black car paint and give it a couple of coats-don`t bother with primer, much too professional. Admire the finish.

Now the tricky bit. Take it to a hot sweaty gig and play it for 3 hours. Now, the reason for doing this is that a guitarist friend of mine has told me that the finish will wear really fast and will look suitably mojo`ed in no time at all and it will look as if it has been played for decades.

So what was the result? The black finish from the back of the bass managed to transfer itself onto my Wranglers giving my jeans the mojo look but the bass looks the same :)

Beware the god of artifical mojo!!!

Jez

[quote name='paul h' post='789796' date='Mar 29 2010, 07:24 PM']No.

Old, battered stuff looks cool.[/quote]

Yeah it does. But stuff that's supposed to look old and battered, but is just some run of the mill factory Fender- not cool. The fact that you've gone out of your way to try and imitate something else, seriously uncool. To me anyway! Coolness is about not trying too hard, and taking a sander to a bass, that's effort!

But yes all of this is irrelevant really, because it's what you sound like, not what you look like that counts!

Peace.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='789964' date='Mar 29 2010, 09:22 PM']Audience: "Why's that guitar bigger than the other one?"

Bass Player: "Because it's a bass, not a guitar, you moronic [b]individual[/b]!"[/quote]
So you saw the turn-out at our most recent gig, eh?

Therefore - You [i]were[/i] the turn-out at our most recent gig?

Edited by skankdelvar

I think the most obvious thing we learn from these threads is that the relic fans are quite laid back and easy going while the shiny fans insist on telling us we are wrong and uncool.

We are all entitled to our opinions, the difference is that I have not called any of the shiny fans uncool, dishonest, lazy or accused them of trying too hard.

Just relax guys. They are just basses. And if some people like them to look battered...so what?

Girls. I like brunettes, but that doesn't mean that I think that all blonds have to be put to the sword. And if some of them want to dye their hair to be a fake brunette then I have no worries about that.

There's enough girls for everyone. We should all rejoice that there is a profuse choice of hair colour out there.

[quote name='Golchen' post='790268' date='Mar 30 2010, 09:16 AM']Girls. I like brunettes, but that doesn't mean that I think that all blonds have to be put to the sword. And if some of them want to dye their hair to be a fake brunette then I have no worries about that.

There's enough girls for everyone. We should all rejoice that there is a profuse choice of hair colour out there.[/quote]

Wigs? What about wigs?

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='789840' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:07 PM']You shouldn't mix 4x10's with 1x15's and [i]real[/i] bass players don't use picks.[/quote]

Gaaahh! I use a pick!* Surely that doesn't mean...

Agree about the 4x10/1x15 thing, though!

*In the late 70s this was called a 'pleccie'.

Jeez! I was only kidding! Just thinking 'what way do I go?' The bass I bought on here has a big scratch and a ding in it (declared by the buyer by the way!') and I thought of the old saying, 'Do I fill in the hole or just dig around it!'

Still - I love both shiny and old. Don't understand someone buying a road worn when basically it's a MIM chibbed in and twice the price! Still - they can look cool. We need pictures to have a fair comparison!

The shiny black looks better than the tatty one, and in a year that maple neck will have gone a nice honey colour if it's left out in sunlight. the vintage white looks better than both, but that's because I prefer that colour scheme to black'n'white regardless of dings or shine.

I have a poly finished strat that I've been playing for 20 years, and from the front it looks almost new (apart from creamy pickup covers and knobs). They just don't relic like nitro. But it's a real pleasure to find an old instrument in great condition, and I'd much rather have something shiny than a dinged and chipped old dog.

Relicing is to put lice back where they were, for example, in my barnet.

If a verb is to be made from the noun shouldn't it be relicking or relic-ing?

If anyone has ever seen The Fiftyfours the bass player and the singer have a bit of a bundle towards the end of their last number. A Squier bass and (a rather nice) Grestch Electro-matic clash a few times during this, the scars of war appearing on both. This will speed the effect but at least is some fun to do and isn't fake.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='789989' date='Mar 29 2010, 09:36 PM']I have another idea for ya.....

Take one VMJ bass, play it for a few weeks and then get fed up with the nice natural finish. Next, dismantle it and with a £3 sanding block (fine grade) rub off the clear varnish. Next, go to Halfords and buy a can of satin black car paint and give it a couple of coats-don`t bother with primer, much too professional. Admire the finish.[/quote]

how many weeks of sanding did it take... the poly on my VMJ appears to be really thick...

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='797769' date='Apr 6 2010, 05:02 PM']how many weeks of sanding did it take... the poly on my VMJ appears to be really thick...[/quote]

Yeah the finish seems really thick but it only took me about 15 mins to do the job with a fine sanding block. After that, I gave it a quick rub down with a finer bit of sandpaper and the job was done. I was suprised how quick the job took and it turned out really well.
Here`s a photo. Sorry for the poorish quality, crap camera.

[attachment=46615:SUNP0052.JPG]

Jez