Why become a member? ×

More than 4?

Bilbo

[quote name='setekh' post='95345' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:14 PM']so you mean that if I disagree with you I have no right to have an opinion? that "example" you just gave doesn't really fit the profile...

that's what bothers me about your (and many others!) posts on this thread - you don't really try to see the other folks point of view..that doesnt really leave room for discussion now, does it? you're just exchanging blows..

[/rant][/quote]

I do see other peoples point of view,but I cant comprehend any real reason to say something is pointless or a redundant idea of no value save 'stunt/circus/novelty after watching a couple of youtube vids.

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='95358' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:30 PM']:)

...that one came out of left field. And I thought we were doing so well too.

C'mon people, lets chill out a bit and get back on topic - ERB.

Or Dood will set his beard on you.[/quote]

Its not the beard that people should fear... Chuck Norris just popped in for a cuppa and has a full can of b*tchslap on the go.

[quote name='dood' post='95362' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:34 PM']Its not the beard that people should fear... Chuck Norris just popped in for a cuppa and has a full can of b*tchslap on the go.[/quote]
Does he take sugar and milk with his bitchslap?

[quote name='ARGH' post='95357' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:30 PM']I do see other peoples point of view,but I cant comprehend any real reason to say something is pointless or a redundant idea of no value save 'stunt/circus/novelty after watching a couple of youtube vids.[/quote]
well, you should take a chill pill before you post after reading some infuriating posts :)...thats not how you come across..

Lets nip this one in the bud shall we. I would very much like this thread to get back to a good discussion as suggested by the OP. Personal jibes, attacks etc that have nothing really to do with the subject are not necessary and I'm starting to get a little tired.

Sooo, just to throw one out there, if my humourous hint wasn't enough... I will be very disappointed if I have to lock the thread altogether because one or two people are spoiling it.

Thanks, - no more warnings. Ooooh actually, I quite fancy dishing out some profile warnings to users as well.. see what takes my fancy. Chuck? What do you think?

[quote name='dood' post='95362' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:34 PM']Its not the beard that people should fear... Chuck Norris just popped in for a cuppa and has a full can of b*tchslap on the go.[/quote]

Totally off topic for which I apoligise unreservedly, but on a lighter note I did hear Chris Moyles quoting a Chuck Norris fansite on his show. One of the quotes made me titter. It said something like, "Ghosts exist because Chuck Norris kills people faster than Death can process them" :)

[quote name='bassman2790' post='95397' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:14 PM']Totally off topic for which I apoligise unreservedly, but on a lighter note I did hear Chris Moyles quoting a Chuck Norris fansite on his show. One of the quotes made me titter. It said something like, "Ghosts exist because Chuck Norris kills people faster than Death can process them" :)[/quote]

Yes, Chuck also has no chin, only another fist hiding under his beard. Me n' chuck are related lol..

taken from the recent discussion [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6284&hl=chuck+norris"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...hl=chuck+norris[/url]

ok.. thats the humour to lighten the topic..

[quote name='ARGH' post='95406' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:39 PM']Back on topic

SO,If the extended range is growing in popularity (more models/makes are becoming available) where does this leave the humble 4?[/quote]

I think the 4 will pretty much be untouched by what is happening around it. I don't think we will ever be without the 'classics' - Precision/Jazz etc etc. Four string basses have been such a big part of the rich tapestry of modern music. Yeh, I don't see them disappearing.. But we will always have companies like Bass Surgery trying out new and wonderful designs on us!

[quote name='dood' post='95409' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:44 PM']I don't think we will ever be without the 'classics' - Precision/Jazz etc etc.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='dood' post='95396' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:13 PM']Lets nip this one in the bud shall we. I would very much like this thread to get back to a good discussion as suggested by the OP. Personal jibes, attacks etc that have nothing really to do with the subject are not necessary and I'm starting to get a little tired.

Thanks, - no more warnings. Ooooh actually, I quite fancy dishing out some profile warnings to users as well.. see what takes my fancy. Chuck? What do you think?[/quote]

Tscha! You you you. People on other forums might start to think I'm not in control any more. :)

[quote name='Alun' post='95221' date='Nov 27 2007, 06:04 PM']I used to work with a Simon Phillips obessive who would use his double bass drum, six toms, rack, many cymbals kit everywhere. Not fun![/quote]

As an aside ...
I used to guest with a band with a drummer who played hi hat, snare and the case they came in (with a bass drum pedal)
He did perfectly well in the same way that a brromhandle washtub bass works in context.

[quote name='dood' post='95409' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:44 PM']I think the 4 will pretty much be untouched by what is happening around it. I don't think we will ever be without the 'classics' - Precision/Jazz etc etc.[/quote]
The 4 will stay as the bedrock of bass for the foreseeable future. In fact, the fretted 4 - at one point fretless was the thing to have, at another it was 5-strings. In the end, you can get an idea of what the demand is for variations from the 4-string fretted theme by wandering into a large guitar shop and seeing what's there. If there's 50 basses, you might see two fretlesses and four 5-strings (and never a fretless 5-string). You can get a similar idea by looking on ebay. The future of the 4-string is most definitely assured, and manufacturers are savvy enough to know that and to realise that they don't have to rely on producing Fender copies to sell too, otherwise the world of bass would get to be a rather boring one.

Its most definately assured. I had two 5 strings as my main gigging basses, then went back to 4 strings because I just didn't need or want the extra range. When I want to make chordal music I use my guitar or Mandolin - to me having an extended range bass is a compramise on erganomics that I'm not willing to take (if I could get a 13 string bass that was as comfortable to play as a 4 though, I'd jump at it - unfortunately such a thing doesn't exist!). Playing with a pick at 160bpm is far easier on a 4, too :)

[quote name='SJA' post='95299' date='Nov 27 2007, 08:55 PM']as for me being rude, well, i've seen Steve himself be pretty rude himself about other peoples' music in his blogs- eg. calling Velvet revolver "sh*t on a stick".
I've got a bit tired of his attitude of smug superiority, sorry if I've put a spanner in the works of his self-promotion scheme.[/quote]

Can't imagine why anyone would say that about Velvet revolver, it's a bit like taking out a full page advert in the Sunday times, to inform people that the world is round and not flat.

"can't see why he would say that about velvet revolver"

same reason the other fellow is saying similiar stuff about him.

people seem to have little tolerance, and be quite judgemental about music they don't like.

everybody decides what they want to play (or listen to), then has to figure out how to best accomplish it, and will make certain choices (limitations & freedoms are the opposite side of the same stick) about how to go about it.

I don't much care for ambient music, and don't want to do anything that is tepid or room temperature... but a lot of people do enjoy what I don't like. a lot more than those that enjoy what I do ...

I started doing solo as a single instrument single track, pretty much without effects. it would be pretty silly to say an orchestra sucks because it layers the music, and uses different instruments for different effect - just because I chose not to. the limits of a 4 & 5 prompted me to get a "traditional" 8 string as opposed to an aircraft carrier neck ERB - I don't need an octave changer to do guitarish stuff, but I have to be pretty picky about my picking. still, there's only so much layering you can pull off without looping - or multitracking. my choice, add a single track of guitar & drums, still not relying on effects. could I do more with some more tracks and gizmos? you bet. can I play out being a one person three piece? not a chance. could I do them live with just one acoustic instrument? yup. which approach is more "valid"? stupid question. is either approach better than a band? depends, both situations have their good and bad.

from my perspective I'm using as little technology as possible to do my music - and at the same time the individual "over relying on" effects and technology ALSO uses as little as possible, given his goals and constraints.

did piano players get bent out of shape over multi-keyboarded draws and stops and foot pedal bass equipped pipe organs?

[quote name='pete.young' post='94858' date='Nov 26 2007, 11:29 PM']Indeed. Any of you guys ever seen a Theorbo?

14 or more strings. Between 6 and 8 fretted, typical scale length 30 - 32 inches. The remainder 52 inch unfretted.
Bass and Tenor register. Fabulous things.[/quote]

Check out page 17 of "How the Fender Bass Changed The World", for a glorious 6-string fretted upright, circa 1701. As the author, Jim Roberts, says, "And you probably thought it was Anthony Jackson's idea...".
:)

12 pages to this thread? I thought 4 pages would have been enough... :)

If you hate ERBs, come to Ireland! I've visited music shops in Dublin, Cork & Galway, and have never seen a 6-string on the wall, or even a pack of strings for one. The only place I've seen them is on Chris Larkin's [url="http://www.chrislarkinguitars.com/"]website[/url], and he's about as far from Dublin as you can get and still be in Ireland.

This thread is almost pointless now.
Basically as far as I can see, in my own opinion there's one bass (pun heheh) argument going on... Basically anyone who says more than 4 is too much is basically denying the right for instruments and consequently music to evolve.
You think, if we had taken that attitude years ago.. no electric guitar, no pianos, no bass, no lute... nothing. We'd still be hitting hollow tree trunks with the skulls of those who dared to tie string to wood and twang.

IF a person decides they want top play a 6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13 string bass, it is their right to be able to do it. Who is anyone to say "I think thats stupid, therefore I shall tell them they are wrong."

Im not saying more traditional instruments and more traditional ways of playing are bad either as once again that is your right to play how you want, and no-one has the right to say "oh but your wrong, why stick to just 4 strings?"

No-one in this thread really takes precedence over each-other and certainly has the right to tell anyone they are wrong.

Following this thought process, this thread should have lasted one page.

I play both Bass and ERB as well as Guitar. So what.
If you play solely 4 string. Good on ya. That's your choice.
If you play solely 9 string. Good on ya. That's your choice.

After Thought... Listen to the 18 year old with a bright red beard and dreads.

Edited by metalmaniac