Why become a member? ×

I am a newbie bassist, and I come from down your way...

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='780503' date='Mar 20 2010, 09:21 AM']I think it was Dear Chaisey Lain (Bloodhound Gang) or something. Definitely lots of Blink-182 and Offspring in the early days.[/quote]

One of the great lyrics of all time! "Mom and dad this is Chaisey, Chaisey this is my mom and dad - now show em them titties" Genius - and a great bass intro

Im not sure which was first cus i learnt all 3 at the same time but all 3 are pretty easy Bombtrack, Know your enemy and Bullet in the head all by Rage Against The Machine. Bombtrack is slightly harder than the other 2 but not much and i used to love playing it. In all RATM tracks its easy to hear the bass in if that is what oyu are struggling with.

[quote name='bartelby' post='780805' date='Mar 20 2010, 02:30 PM']Probably Metallica's For Whom The Bell Tolls or Seek and Destroy[/quote]

All most excellent choices, but looks liked it's going to be radar love - one of my favourite songs, and it's in the book I bought with a play along cd - makes life a lot easier!

Peaches - The Stranglers. Arguably I bought a bass specifically to learn to play Peaches - I had no idea how to tune a bass at the time, so when a more knowledgeable friend showed me what I was doing wrong, I had to re-learn the song... :)

I then went on to learn the entire Rattus Norvegicus album, so that was OK.

Jon.

After being inspired by the ever-amazing old funk tunes and Jaco Pastorius to pick up the bass, I thought I could attempt them with my already above average guitar skills, and much to my displeasure it turns out bass is on a level of it's own in terms of playing and understanding music. I can't remember the first song I actually played, but I remember my first gig as a bassist I played Fire by Hendrix.

[quote name='The inglourious bass turd' post='780451' date='Mar 20 2010, 07:32 AM']I can play - a bunch of scales and arpeggios, the beginning bits of - paranoid, iron man, seven nation army, satisfaction, that bit from the chain , the beginning of badge - but not one whole song! What's the first whole song you guys learned?
Andy[/quote]

Can't possibly nail it down to the first song... but 3 albums that were on heavy rotation when I started in 1982 were:

Status Quo - Live (1976?)
AC/DC - If You Want Blood...
Deep Purple - Made In Japan

After these I moved on to John Mayall's Bluesbreakers & Stevie Ray Vaughan. Then it's all a bit of a blur tbh.

Pete.