Why become a member? ×

Defretted... What to fill the gaps with?

theosd

Hi
I bought an AXL player deluxe fretless from a chap, who, when he picked it up from a music and instruments fair, had the frets missing and just the gaps left, (apparently they just omitted the frets to make a fretless).
He had a luthier fit maple inserts into the gaps (rosewood board)and a lovely job he made of it, feels great.
Regards
Jim

[quote name='ezbass' post='780024' date='Mar 19 2010, 05:16 PM']Any of the Plastic Wood type products, put it on (in) with a scraper and then just lightly sand it back, worked a treat for me.[/quote]

Sounds good thanks for the advice!

I've done two de-frets, the first one I used super glue and african blackwood dust (it's the stuff they make clarinets from).
The second one I used scraps of veneer plundered from a scrap piano. The results are far neater and it didn't take much longer ,I glued the veneer in with wood glue and left it overnigh, the finishing took far less time than the wood dust.
There are pictures in build diaries (twin neck project)

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='780725' date='Mar 20 2010, 12:56 PM']I did one years ago and used Araldite, seemed to work ok and left a nice dark line. Can't remember if it was easy to sand or not, but I suspect not![/quote]

Hehe, nice budget option for a budget instrument!