Why become a member? ×

Loan from the Arts Council for instruments and gear

Mecklenburg

Just noticed this scheme - [url="http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/takeitaway/"]Take It Away[/url] run by the arts council. It looks pretty good to me, up to £2,000 interest free loan over 9 months, starting off with a 10%deposit. Think I might do this later in the year, will get rid of the waiting to save up for some new toys!

I've only just seen this scheme advertised so sorry if this a double post as I can't find any info on old the scheme actually is, but looks like it is still running.

[quote name='yorick' post='777526' date='Mar 17 2010, 03:20 PM']Beware of this. Very good if you want an instrument, but you can't buy amps and suchlike on it.[/quote]
You can buy amps - see [url="http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/takeitaway/4053/what-can-i-buy/"]here[/url]:

[quote]What can I buy?

You can use Take it away to finance the purchase of any kind of musical instrument, whether new or reconditioned, from a tabla to a tenor horn, a bass guitar to a berimbau. You can also include music stands, stools, sheet music, [b]amplifiers[/b], equipment and sometimes tuition as part of your loan.

Recorded music, PA systems and computer hardware are not eligible to purchase under the scheme.

[...]

Eligible items
Take it away, what you can and cannot buy

Take it away loans are designed to assist individuals with the purchase of new or reconditioned musical instruments. However the following associated goods and services may be included as part of the loan, provided that these items are purchased at the same time as the instrument itself and can be supplied by the retailer at the point of sale.

* Drum heads
* Drum sticks/brushes
* Effects pedals
* [b]Instrument amplifiers[/b]
* Instrument cases
* Instrument cleaning materials
* Leads
* Metronomes
* Mouthpieces
* Music/instrument stands
* Mutes
* Plectrums
* Reeds
* Rosin
* Sheet music
* Shoulder rests
* Silencers
* Stools
* Straps
* Strings
* Tuition
* Tuners

The following items cannot be bought using the loan:

* Non tuition CDs and DVDs
* Non tuition music books
* Concert tickets
* Microphones
* Recording equipment
* PA systems[/quote]

[quote name='yorick' post='777526' date='Mar 17 2010, 03:20 PM']Beware of this. Very good if you want an instrument, but you can't buy amps and suchlike on it.[/quote]

not entirely true, but you can buy associated goods with an instrument. Just thought it looked like a good idea rather than saving up for several months :)

Eligible items
Take it away, what you can and cannot buy

Take it away loans are designed to assist individuals with the purchase of new or reconditioned musical instruments. However the following associated goods and services may be included as part of the loan, provided that these items are purchased at the same time as the instrument itself and can be supplied by the retailer at the point of sale.

* Drum heads
* Drum sticks/brushes
* Effects pedals
* Instrument amplifiers
* Instrument cases
* Instrument cleaning materials
* Leads
* Metronomes
* Mouthpieces
* Music/instrument stands
* Mutes
* Plectrums
* Reeds
* Rosin
* Sheet music
* Shoulder rests
* Silencers
* Stools
* Straps
* Strings
* Tuition
* Tuners

[quote name='Mecklenburg' post='777573' date='Mar 17 2010, 03:57 PM']couldn't you just buy one of those cheapo plastic kazoo's on the counter and say the bass amp is for that??[/quote]

well if its any help I bought Guitar amp from PMT a couple of years ago on scheme noproblems at all

I bought my Markbass on it and my brother bought a Fender Hot rod on it middle of last year no problems.

They were even super nice when I missed a payment due to my wages going in too late. Got one call off a lovely woman who said 'theres no charges or anything can you pay this months and next months on the next due date,' to which I said 'of course' and that was that.

i've seen this advertised myself quite like the idea

are there any restrictions on who can apply

for example if your in full time employment?

i've not read all the details but thats usually a big stumbling block when applying for charity based things

they are very particular though, not long back I tried to order a mandolin, and a few pedals that came to about £210, they told me I couldnt do it because the mandolin was acoustic and i wouldnt be using the pedals with it...So I said okay then ill have this fretless bass and the same pedals, came to about £250...for some reason they couldnt do it because they would actually be making a profit on it.... By that point I was too annoyed to carry on the phone call to ask why

this was with digital village by the way

I end up just buying the pedals and paying cash for them, two of them out of stock which was fine, but the one they sent me was broke. I sent it back and cancelled the whole order

I've used it two or three times and it's excellent. On the last occasion they stopped taking the payments for a couple of months without contacting me so it took longer to pay off (it just delayed the repayment) which I thought was a little poor (I hate bad comms) but generally you can't fault 0%. It's available through a lot of online traders too like Soundslive so worth a punt if your local shop isn't partaking

[quote name='The Burpster' post='777793' date='Mar 17 2010, 06:31 PM']'scuse my ignorance but what is a silencer.....?

I know what they are for cars, bikes and guns......but musical instruments.... And why would you need 0% for one...?[/quote]

Silencer may be for drum kits?

[quote name='Shockwave' post='777866' date='Mar 17 2010, 07:36 PM']Can it be used if you can pay off the majority of the instrument with cash, but need a little booster loan?[/quote]

I'd assume so if the deposit is [i]at least[/i] 10%. If you paid off 50% as your deposit, it'd drop the amount you needed to spend extra. Dunno if you'd be able to pay it off in less payments though (e.g. pay off half straight away with only have half the amount of months you need to pay back or if your monthly payments would just drop for the same 9 months).

[quote name='hagguy' post='777724' date='Mar 17 2010, 05:40 PM']i've seen this advertised myself quite like the idea

are there any restrictions on who can apply

for example if your in full time employment?

i've not read all the details but thats usually a big stumbling block when applying for charity based things[/quote]
England and Wales only, at least it was last time I checked.

[quote name='Alastair' post='778101' date='Mar 17 2010, 10:57 PM']What about someone who normally lives in scotland but is currently living in London for 5/6 months working I wonder...[/quote]

It is written that you must be a permanent UK resident and last time I've chcecked Scotland was part of the UK :)