Why become a member? ×

Offloading.....

thepurpleblob

Sorry for psychiatrists couch moment...... been a bad week in bass land. I'm not the greatest player in the world - far from it. I've been playing for less that 10 years and now I've been told I'm "too old" too. Great.

At least bass guitars are made out of wood and they'll burn :)

[quote name='Sibob' post='777351' date='Mar 17 2010, 01:29 PM']Clearly its just the rest of band being too young :).
Chin up, peaks and troughs and all that noise :rolleyes:

Si[/quote]

Yeh - oh well, 46 doesn't feel quite like I'm tottering on the edge of my grave. Well, not every day anyway :lol:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='777353' date='Mar 17 2010, 01:32 PM']Yeh - oh well, 46 doesn't feel quite like I'm tottering on the edge of my grave. Well, not every day anyway :)[/quote]

No chance, I only started gigging at 42!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='777369' date='Mar 17 2010, 01:37 PM']NOW you know why we play jazz!! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Nah! 48 and still playing modern stuff, may look a div but who cares.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='777346' date='Mar 17 2010, 01:25 PM']Sorry for psychiatrists couch moment...... been a bad week in bass land. I'm not the greatest player in the world - far from it. I've been playing for less that 10 years and now I've been told I'm "too old" too. Great.[/quote]

How old are the rest of the band?

[quote name='throwoff' post='777384' date='Mar 17 2010, 01:44 PM']Im a youngster compared to many on this board (23) but Im pretty sure it would be a pleasure to jam with any of you regardless of age or talent.[/quote]

You wouldn't. I'd be in the wrong key and playing at the wrong tempo and I wouldn't know because I'm hard of hearing.

I need to order one of those chairs that tips you out when you want to stand up - Eeeeee.. lovely!!

[quote name='Les' post='777387' date='Mar 17 2010, 01:46 PM']Bummer mate. Why did they give you the job in the first place and how come your suddenly too old ? I'm 46 too so I feel your pain.[/quote]

They must have been desperate :). Then they found out I have no personality. Of course I don't, I'm a bass player for God's sake. If I had personality I'd be a rodie :rolleyes:

Well, I don't know about being too old...... I'm 63 & still rockin'. Been playing bass 6 years now & got a bundle of compliments at the Open Night last Thursday, also might be auditioning for a funk-style band in the near future.

Keep rockin', Dude & don't let the Bastards grind you down!!!

Geoff

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='777394' date='Mar 17 2010, 01:52 PM']They must have been desperate :). Then they found out I have no personality. Of course I don't, I'm a bass player for God's sake. If I had personality I'd be a rodie :rolleyes:[/quote]

Best line I've seen in months! You've got something worth more than all the tea in china, mate: a Sense of Humour! Stuff 'em! Life's too short... The day we give up on the playing is the day we give up on life and shuffle off the mortal wossname... ROK ON...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='777392' date='Mar 17 2010, 01:49 PM']Mid 20s to Mid 30s. Not exactly teenagers.[/quote]

Well, it ridiculous that they think you're old, in comparison to their age. Perhaps they think that if they all appear roughly in the same age group they'll get more groupies...? :) Send them to a Henry Rollins gig and dare them to shout 'Old man!' at him...

Edited by Jerry_B

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='777507' date='Mar 17 2010, 03:10 PM']Well, it ridiculous that they think you're old, in comparison to their age. Perhaps they think that if they all appear roughly in the same age group they'll get more groupies...? :rolleyes: Send them to a Henry Rollins gig and dare them to shout 'Old man!' at him...[/quote]

Oh well, maybe my trainers weren't expensive enough. If only I had some hair. Who knows :)