Why become a member? ×

Song suggestions for 'unplugged' soul

molan

My band has had a couple of requests to play a 'quieter' set prior to our main set at larger function gigs.

First thought was that we'd have a go at a selection of slower soul songs (main set is predominantly classic soul and disco).

May not go totally unplugged but would definately try to use acoustic guitar and focus on our sax player more.

We have both male and female vocals so can cover a fair range of material. To be honest I have a feeling this is likely to be very much in the background so won't be looking for big vocal masterclass kind of stuff.

Anyway - if anyone has any thoughts about whether this might work as an idea and/or some song suggestions would be much appreciated :)

[quote name='molan' post='777192' date='Mar 17 2010, 11:51 AM']My band has had a couple of requests to play a 'quieter' set prior to our main set at larger function gigs.

First thought was that we'd have a go at a selection of slower soul songs (main set is predominantly classic soul and disco).

May not go totally unplugged but would definately try to use acoustic guitar and focus on our sax player more.

We have both male and female vocals so can cover a fair range of material. To be honest I have a feeling this is likely to be very much in the background so won't be looking for big vocal masterclass kind of stuff.

Anyway - if anyone has any thoughts about whether this might work as an idea and/or some song suggestions would be much appreciated :)[/quote]

It sounds like a fantastic idea.

Dusty Springfield -- Spooky

would be quite cool like that :rolleyes:

(sorry that's what I was listening to earlier)

Try and find an album by 'The Reel and Soul Association'.
Was a project involving acoustic-y versions of soul standards.

Songs which may work -

Ain't no sunshine
Move on up
Warm and tender love
Harvest for the world
When something is wrong with my baby
Lean on me.

[quote name='Toddy' post='777300' date='Mar 17 2010, 12:53 PM']Not soul,,, however ,,,we used to do a stripped out acoustic version of "message in a bottle" which used to go a storm.. :)[/quote]

When I was little I thought The Police were German, mostly because of "Anozer lonely day...". Maybe the blonde hair had something to do with it too.

[quote name='Rosh' post='777195' date='Mar 17 2010, 11:53 AM']It sounds like a fantastic idea.

Dusty Springfield -- Spooky

would be quite cool like that :)

(sorry that's what I was listening to earlier)[/quote]
Spooky - I was going to say that but use Martha Reeves and the Vandellas as an example!
I'll never fall in love Bacharach
Oasis used to do 'This guy's in love' by Big Burt too.
Careless Whisper

[quote name='molan' post='777192' date='Mar 17 2010, 11:51 AM']My band has had a couple of requests to play a 'quieter' set prior to our main set at larger function gigs.[/quote]

It's a great idea, and I can tell you that it definitely works!

Would this be for playing during a meal and/or cocktails, or similar, where people will be talking to each other? If so, my considerable experience with this kind of gig is that the 'quieter' requirement should be taken really seriously. If you ruin anyone's conversation, even at the table right next to the band, they'll be unhappy. The key thing to watch out for is people leaning across the table or into each other to talk - if they are doing this then you are too loud.

[quote]May not go totally unplugged but would definately try to use acoustic guitar and focus on our sax player more.[/quote]

Again I urge caution - be wary of the "we're acoustic even though we are playing acoustic guitars into our 10kW PA" thing :-) You also definitely want to leave some dynamic range for when you play at the function later.

Even unamplified, it is perfectly possible for unplugged acoustic guitar and saxophone (especially saxophone) to ruin conversations. Unless you are in a very large room, there should be no need to amplify the sax. Almost without exception, drums should be played with brushes. You can often get away with unamplified double bass, but acoustic bass guitar might (or might not) need some assistance. The problem is that if you amplify the acoustic bass guitar, everyone else wants amplified too...

For this reason I almost always have the band go totally acoustic. Unless you are *really* disciplined with the sound, it *will* be too loud. It only takes one person to start the escalation in the volume arms race.

[quote]We have both male and female vocals so can cover a fair range of material. To be honest I have a feeling this is likely to be very much in the background so won't be looking for big vocal masterclass kind of stuff.[/quote]

Quite - indeed, I have found that some vocalists aren't appropriate for this kind of gig for several reasons. First of all is that many are too "needy" in terms of demanding audience attention, even subconsciously. It is far harder for a vocal to blend into the background than an instrument; by its very nature, a vocal often demands attention. Some singers can blend into the background, some cannot. It's not a fault as such, just the nature of the beast. Some songs are also "needy" - Georgia is one that springs to mind, for example. You're not really there to attract audience attention, just provide some ambience.

Second, there will often be little or no applause or audience reaction during your performance of background music. This can really put off or wind up some musicians, especially singers, presumably since they are so used to fronting the band and directly receiving this kind of response. Not all musicians can perform well in the face of what they perceive as audience indifference.

The good news is that it is not usually indifference, however. Your job is essentially that of a posh stereo, and if you do it well you'll often get a small crowd gathered round listening, and some people talk to you after the gig telling you how much they liked it.

Jennifer

Wise words of experience from Jennifer..

+1 Bacharach and David song book
Paul Simon song book

My suggestions
Georgia on my mind and Rainy Night in Georgia

This is some Disco website's top "first dance" tunes but they will all work for the background stuff:

Don't Wanna Miss A Thing by Aerosmith
Everything I Do (I Do It For You) by Bryan Adams
Amazed by Lonestar
You're Still The One by Shania Twain
From This Moment by Shania Twain
Have I Told You Lately by Van Morrison
You're Beautiful by James Blunt
Truly Madly Deeply by Savage Garden
Angels by Robbie Williams
I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston
I'm Yours by Jasom Mraz

This is exactly the sort of thing my main band does.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/redlemonsound"]www.myspace.com/redlemonsound[/url]

Technically, we've a jazzy/bluesy soul vibe as opposed to a full on soul band, but the proper soul numbers we do are:
Georgia
Feelin' good
Change is gonna come
Let's stay together
Baby just cares for me
Higher and higer

Plus some others that I can't remember off the top of my head....

Dave