Why become a member? ×

DEADG tuning

throwoff

OK!

This might seem like a wierd question but does anyone use DEADG on a 5 string?
I dont like a low B dont find it useful in any way shape or form so I have this idea in my head to tune DEADG giving me a D for drop D songs and also I would then also be able to play octaves on the A from it which I like the idea of.

If this has any big problems I'll tune it to EADGC as I would rather have a high C than a low B anyday

Just wondered if anyone else does this or due to my previously mentioned lack of theory im missing something obvious to you guys!

[quote name='throwoff' post='770610' date='Mar 10 2010, 04:44 PM']OK!

This might seem like a wierd question but does anyone use DEADG on a 5 string?
I dont like a low B dont find it useful in any way shape or form so I have this idea in my head to tune DEADG giving me a D for drop D songs and also I would then also be able to play octaves on the A from it which I like the idea of.

If this has any big problems I'll tune it to EADGC as I would rather have a high C than a low B anyday

Just wondered if anyone else does this or due to my previously mentioned lack of theory im missing something obvious to you guys![/quote]

If I had that little use for a low B, I'd either

ditch the 5 and get a 4
tune DADGC.

I tune my 5 ADADG. Very handy.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='770614' date='Mar 10 2010, 05:48 PM']ditch the 5 and get a 4[/quote]

I just bought it!

I think the idea of being lazy and having E and D works for me
plus correct me if im wrong but playing 'in the box' i can do normally anywhere on the neck now on any string with DEADG
with a low b I cant?!?

[quote name='throwoff' post='770626' date='Mar 10 2010, 04:57 PM']I just bought it!

plus correct me if im wrong but playing 'in the box' i can do normally anywhere on the neck now on any string with DEADG
with a low b I cant?!?[/quote]

personally, i'd say if you just bought it, give it a few months, and try and use the B string wherever possible, so for instance one song i love the B string on is hit me with your rythm stick, if you play the first F in the song on fret 6 of the B string, theres hardly any moving up and down the fretboard necessary. i also hate the sound of anything below the D on the B string, but on the other hand it's useful for different, easier positions with songs you could play on a 4 string.

get used to the BEADG tuning before you decide anything different IMO

[quote name='Tait' post='770658' date='Mar 10 2010, 06:23 PM']personally, i'd say if you just bought it, give it a few months, and try and use the B string wherever possible, so for instance one song i love the B string on is hit me with your rythm stick, if you play the first F in the song on fret 6 of the B string, theres hardly any moving up and down the fretboard necessary. i also hate the sound of anything below the D on the B string, but on the other hand it's useful for different, easier positions with songs you could play on a 4 string.

get used to the BEADG tuning before you decide anything different IMO[/quote]

Good idea, I think I'll flit between the two for a while, my experience with B's comes from playing many other 5's but never owning one so maybe some consitant use will help me make a permenant decision

[quote name='Tait' post='770658' date='Mar 10 2010, 05:23 PM']personally, i'd say if you just bought it, give it a few months, and try and use the B string wherever possible, so for instance one song i love the B string on is hit me with your rythm stick, if you play the first F in the song on fret 6 of the B string, theres hardly any moving up and down the fretboard necessary. i also hate the sound of anything below the D on the B string, but on the other hand it's useful for different, easier positions with songs you could play on a 4 string.

get used to the BEADG tuning before you decide anything different IMO[/quote]

Staying with the standard fourths BEADG gives you lots of new fingering options (ooh err missus) and I'd also suggest trying to stick with it FWIW. Bang on with the point about Rhythm Stick - I can't think of a finer example. Turns a tough song in to a doddle(ish).

[quote name='throwoff' post='770610' date='Mar 10 2010, 04:44 PM']If this has any big problems I'll tune it to EADGC as I would rather have a high C than a low B anyday.[/quote]

Ok...

Why not just take the EADGC concept and drop it a tone to give you;

DGCFBb.

That way you keep the fingering patterns to which you may be accustomed. AND you get the drop "D" without using a "B" string or a second "E"

A friend of mine wanted to do this. He was adamant he didn't liked BEADG and wanted to go DEADG. 2 weeks later he's loving BEADG and now wouldn't dream of changing it. It's by far the best option! If you REALLY need to keep your fingerings then just drop tune your E like normal. After all, if you want to play DADG songs with a DEADG bass, then there's going to be an awful lot of extra string skipping/muting. Would take a lot more effort than just learning to play BEADG IMO.

[quote name='throwoff' post='770626' date='Mar 10 2010, 04:57 PM']I just bought it!

with a low b I cant?!?[/quote]

Wrong way round. You can with BEADG but not DEADG. If you need a low D then the useful tunings are DADG, DGCF (withe option of dropping to CGCF), or BEAD.

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='770725' date='Mar 10 2010, 07:17 PM']I have my 5 in EADGC and I absoloutly love it. Well worth a try. You could fit a high C and a D-tuner on the E. Best of both worlds.[/quote]

This sounds like a good idea!