Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Finally joining the 'covers/function' scene

Musicman20

Hi

I have finally found a worthwhile covers band to join. Strangely enough it took a move up North to actually find something worthwhile. Even bands I was approached by in London just ended up being pretty much a waste of time, (originals and covers).

I have also found a set of musicians to play my only personal style of music and thats going pretty damn well.

The covers band is working out brilliantly. Right near a Metro stop, I can use my Sansamp if I cant get an amp head there, they are playing pretty good music, and most importantly, they do not mess about with free gigs. They only book good bars, function rooms, and weddings. Finally I can start to have a different source of income for my constant GAS.

I have been involved in the covers scene before years back. I was 15-16 at the time and lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. They needed a bassist, and they were an experienced and older set of lads gigging for a good wage.

So its been a good 10 years or more since Ive been involved in covers. So far the practices with the new band has gone down really well, but does anyone have any tips?

I think they are shocked at how far gear has come on in the bass world, (eg a 210 or 212 will be enough for a band like this, or even a quality preamp/DI box will do the job in small venues). Their ex bassist used an Ampeg 8x10!

Thanks

Edited by Musicman20

It's a great scene to get into. The band you've joined definitely sounds like the right move for you - any good band knows not to undersell themselves to get a gig. After all, once you're known as a high-end band that doesn't mess about, then those are the bookings you'll attract.

A few tips? Hmm

1. Crowd enjoyment is key, but enjoyment of the manager/person who booked you is even more so! Of course, if the crowd loves you, this does help influence his/her opinion of you too when he books acts in the future.

2. Always confirm before the gig how long you're playing for and start/finish times, so to avoid disputes at the end of the night.

3. To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, to be late is to not turn up at all!

Will probably think of a few more before the end of the day, but until that, best of luck with the band and enjoy yourself!

Danny

As a band sound good, volume levels right and be as pro as poss with a view to giving the bookers as little hassle as poss.
So that means sorted kit that works and no last minute panics...

Do exactly as you say you will..and have that agreed by both parties.

If all else fails, have a storming night with lots of punters and the money made will drown out any faults on the night.
If you are a good draw, that covers a multitue of sins.
Try and make the evening an engaging event with the crowd....

Waaaay too many talented vocalists can't read a crowd and get them onboard. This is one of the main reasons a band fails to hit the spot at a gig, regardless of how they played, IMV.

Oh and don't screw the guy on the price and expect him to get the beer in all night... Always offer to buy the first beer in his venue..

Edited by JTUK

On a personal level for a new bass player...

Good sound, good sound, and good sound.
and make that drummer sound good....so EQ out of his attack range so his kick comes through.

Bass can have 400 watts on tap, gtrs need kettle amps ha ha ..

I would say don't be too afraid to make songs your own! In my band, we often arrange or rework the songs to fit us and very rarely do a straight interpretation. This is good on many levels: it stops you getting bored with the song, the songs will be recognisable but will sound fresh and original to the crowd, it gives the crowd something to remember you by and will make the band stand out.

Which band is it Gareth? I might try to get out one night and see you! :rolleyes:

It's strange with a covers band I feel. You are playing for the audience rather than them coming to see you. I know that sounds like the same thing, but the emphasis is slightly different with an originals band... Also, rather than having your own travelling crowd (which [i]can[/i] happen with a covers band), you will tend to be playing to different audiences at each venue. You have to please that particular crowd, so as someone else said, the singer has to be up to the job!

Often, there will be few musoes in the crowd so its a waste of time being too technical or flash - nobody will get it! Look good, sound good, play good. Simple is better than complicated (although obviously it depends what genre of covers you play!).

The best way to get a crowd onside is to look like you are enjoying yourself - even if you aren't! If you can't stand the drummer and you are really pissed off with the singer (as if!?) you mustn't let it show! That turns audiences off faster than a few mistakes that even the musoes will generally miss!

Levels are important too. Obviously you need to be audible, but too much volume can drive punters away too.

Basically its about providing a service. Yes, you get paid, but you need to EARN that cash if you want any repeat gigs. Word soon gets round if you are disappointing or difficult for any reason! :lol:

Enjoy yourselves! There is nothing like the feeling of playing well in a great band to a great audience! OK, there are - but I cant mention any of them on here! :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Musicman20' post='770321' date='Mar 10 2010, 01:04 PM']So far the practices with the new band has gone down really well, but does anyone have any tips?[/quote]

Sounds good.

Tips in what respect?
Your own performance, integrating with northerners? or the band or the booking and management, getting gigs, etc, etc, etc.

i liked the ex bass player's mutton chops :) (well i assume that's the ex and not you as he has the aforementioned 8x10...)

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='770371' date='Mar 10 2010, 01:45 PM']I would say don't be too afraid to make songs your own! In my band, we often arrange or rework the songs to fit us and very rarely do a straight interpretation. This is good on many levels: it stops you getting bored with the song, the songs will be recognisable but will sound fresh and original to the crowd, it gives the crowd something to remember you by and will make the band stand out.[/quote]

Hmmm. Not sure about this. Depends on your audience and how long you've been playing. In some venues this might be taken as arrogance and possibly rudeness, as some punters expect to hear the track as they know it.... IME that is!

Look after the guy in your band that sorts out the money, deals with agents and contracts. This is a thankless task and the time and effort involved is seldom understood or apprecaited. Just doing the music, irrespective of going the extra mile is no compensation. We all play through choice but few sign up for the grief and hassle associated with punters who like to take their own prejudices and insecurities and make them our problem.
I'm not sure I agree with changing up cover material though. I tend to think cover bands are booked to play popular tunes. Typically these can be cheesy ballads or disco tunes you might not choose to play. In my experience people want to hear authentic versions with practiced endings, this tends to mark out the higher paid acts from the pub bands. Consider the point that most major hits are played by very accomplished musicians so this authenticity rather than a kop out is actually quite demanding. I suggest this is why so many cover bands fail to make the grade. Remember that in addition to the music you are the focal point of the evening so you need to collectively engage the crowd and break down their inhibitions. If no one in the band does this naturally then you will need to contrive an approach. I know this sounds corny but I'm sure it is necessary.
Good luck with it

[quote name='yorick' post='770424' date='Mar 10 2010, 02:16 PM']My tuppence worth, is learn as much stuff as possible, regardless of whether you play it in this band or not. it's amazing how many times i've been asked to play "such and such" by "so and so" which aren't in the set list.[/quote]

Bloody right! Good point. There will still always be requests for stuff that you DON'T know though!

Be as professional as possible in all aspects!
Be organised/prompt/sober/rehearsed/with reliable gear/with spares etc. Don't forget that you're playing for the audience and the manager/landlord so don't be too loud, don't widdle around between songs, do make eye contact with the audience etc etc

[quote name='Conan' post='770428' date='Mar 10 2010, 02:17 PM']Hmmm. Not sure about this. Depends on your audience and how long you've been playing. In some venues this might be taken as arrogance and possibly rudeness, as some punters expect to hear the track as they know it.... IME that is![/quote]

Unfortunately in any covers songs played by any band will always be judged against the original, no matter how good the band or players are. At least if you do it your way, which is as validly creative btw, you can't be accused of not sounding like them :) In our band at least, the emphasis is on playing well and having a good time and delivering a good solid crowd pleasing performance. It's not about doing a like for like interpretation of any given song. If that were the case, then you'd need replica gear and such to come close to the sound of many of the songs we play. This simply isn't feasible for our band. I do however understand that audiences do expect to hear the songs as originally performed, but if that is the case then go listen to the original performer!

Good for you Musicman20!

Done exactly the same myself. Been doing it for a year or so. I'm a newcomer so can't give any tips, but I do love it & I'm learning all the time. Appreciating all the the hints & tips in this thread.
Started with a couple of crap local outfits, but finally found a good band. It is a start-up, but the other members are seasoned semi-pros & it's moving along great. Got some bookings for later on this year & lately even managing to get a few dep jobs with other bands.

Like a lot musicians who play in originals outfits I used to (naively) laugh at cover/function bands. Don't know what happened, think I finally had enough of the egos, playing to small unappreciative crowds for no money, unprofessionalism etc...
It's bettered my playing immensely, given me the oppurtunity to meet other relatively sane musos, plus allows me to get away with playing other styles like slap etc... that I'd never do.

I also like the irony of re-learning songs (albeit to a higher standard) that I did when starting on bass.. .Disco Inferno, Carwash, Born to be Wild etc... :)

Would recommend it to anyone musically in a rut, who wants to improve their playing & technique.

I have played the covers scene for about 16 years and the thing that sticks in my mind is

The audience wants entertaining NOT educating!

A couple of singers/ guitarists i have worked with like to play music they like, usually slow or obscure, people go out for a night and want to be happy not sent to sleep, play a few high energy songs and then try a few slow or obscure ones and you will clearly see the effect.

To be honest its probably the reason for the success or failure of many a northern pub band and tbh the reason i finally left my last gigging band.

Who is the band out of interest?

Cheers

Dave

A good idea for getting function - wedding gigs is to find a pub in a nice area of your city- where people with money go - and see the landlord. Tell him you`ll do gigs there for a small amount- we started on £250- but theres 7 of us. We are now on £300 plus free drinks- we play there every month. The main reason we did this is to get bookings for parties, weddings, functions etc What a great initiative for getting well paying gigs - weve had loads of them and also lots of great nights in the venue! really works.

Bob

[quote name='nick' post='770534' date='Mar 10 2010, 03:43 PM']Like a lot musicians who play in originals outfits I used to (naively) laugh at cover/function bands. Don't know what happened, think I finally had enough of the egos, playing to small unappreciative crowds for no money, unprofessionalism etc...
It's bettered my playing immensely, given me the oppurtunity to meet other relatively sane musos, plus allows me to get away with playing other styles like slap etc... that I'd never do.[/quote]

+1... I couldn't agree with this statement any more if I tried :)

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='770582' date='Mar 10 2010, 04:16 PM']A good idea for getting function - wedding gigs is to find a pub in a nice area of your city- where people with money go - and see the landlord. Tell him you`ll do gigs there for a small amount- we started on £250- but theres 7 of us. We are now on £300 plus free drinks- we play there every month. The main reason we did this is to get bookings for parties, weddings, functions etc What a great initiative for getting well paying gigs - weve had loads of them and also lots of great nights in the venue! really works.

Bob[/quote]

Fantastic advice there!

I've been looking to join a covers/function band, doesn't seem to be much around the Midlands so far. But me and a friend are thinking of starting our own, and what you've said should come in handy!

[quote name='whimsy23' post='770705' date='Mar 10 2010, 05:58 PM']Fantastic advice there!

I've been looking to join a covers/function band, doesn't seem to be much around the Midlands so far. But me and a friend are thinking of starting our own, and what you've said should come in handy![/quote]

Big long helpful thread on covers/function bands [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5436&st=0&p=56924&#entry56924"]here[/url]

Edited by OldGit

Covering a cover song... err, have to disagree here.

I don't want to hear note for note from a gtr and I don't rip off basslines either.
I expect the band members to have enough about them to be able to 'interpret' the song and get the point over.

Nothing will turn me off more, than to hear a religous copy of a song and I doubt most of an audience would know anyway.
If someone made the point that it isn't like that on the record, I'd offer to buy them the CD and they can f*** right off :) :ol:

[quote name='JTUK' post='770746' date='Mar 10 2010, 06:30 PM']Covering a cover song... err, have to disagree here.

I don't want to hear note for note from a gtr and I don't rip off basslines either.
I expect the band members to have enough about them to be able to 'interpret' the song and get the point over.

Nothing will turn me off more, than to hear a religous copy of a song and I doubt most of an audience would know anyway.
If someone made the point that it isn't like that on the record, I'd offer to buy them the CD and they can f*** right off :) :ol:[/quote]

That is the point I was trying to make, but your way of putting it was far more eloquent :rolleyes: The key word here is 'interpret'!

[quote name='JTUK' post='770746' date='Mar 10 2010, 06:30 PM']Covering a cover song... err, have to disagree here.

If someone made the point that it isn't like that on the record, I'd offer to buy them the CD and they can f*** right off :) :ol:[/quote]

I dont think this really works with covers- when you are playing covers if you can play them as accurately as possible that is a great advantage. The thing that makes the difference between a good covers band and a bad one is the accuracy of the cover itself. Sure you can always change it ( and we do ) but the core notes need to be correct- for brass, guitar, bass, keys, harmonies ( this is the thing that really sorts out the wheat from the chaff ).

You can always take it to another level, change the arrangement, change the feel of the song but the cover itself needs to be accurate. I wouldnt say playing a Jamerson bassline correctly was ripping it off- because you will always sound different anyway as you are you.

Playing in a covers band- whilst a lot of fun and can be lucrative- in some way you are prostituting yourself so you have to do what the punters want and not what you want- but with all things it is a bit of a compromise.

Just my threepence

Bob

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='771249' date='Mar 11 2010, 08:41 AM']Playing in a covers band- whilst a lot of fun and can be lucrative- in some way you are prostituting yourself so you have to do what the punters want and not what you want- but with all things it is a bit of a compromise.[/quote]

I know that I'd rather be gigging with a covers band than just "rehearsing" with an originals band, unable to get gigs! :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='770365' date='Mar 10 2010, 01:42 PM']Don't play 'Mustang Sally' :rolleyes:[/quote]

Or if you do, take Bilbo's approach when he plays it and give some space for a series of improvisations in the middle, or abandon the strict notion of a chord progression and allow the individual musicians to improvise even more freely within the context of a given scale or mode. If you do it after a few pints, you should abandon all chords, scales, and rhythmic meters.

That's jazz :)