Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Further to Friday’s ‘abysmal gig’ post, I played with the same band again last night. BL’s missus cried off so I played (mainly) rhythm guitar as well as singing a few numbers. I made sure my wedge monitor had plenty of my guitar (went direct to save space) and my vocal, and no BL vocal. Despite this his voice was definitely the loudest element in the mix from where I was stood at the front.

The bass slot was filled by one of their regulars, a chap who plays bass like the guitarist he is - what especially grinds my gears is that he often plays 1-3-4 arpeggios instead of the 1-3-5 that the R’n’R idiom requires. He also plays with a pick and has a dreadful honky tone. A couple of numbers in, BL started complaining to him that he was ‘too bassy’ and he couldn’t hear his own vocal. As before this would have been clearly audible to the audience. I declined to become involved in the argument.

During pack-down BL said he thought the lead guitarist was improving and did I agree. I pointed out that said guitarist was only a few feet away - otherwise I might have been tempted to disabuse BL.

*sigh*

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Thanks.

I'm down to 5 from about 40 ten years ago. 

I use the red Gus G3 with In Isolation, and have a very similar one in all black (including the metal work), as a back-up.

For Hurtsfall I have the Eastwood Hooky and a Burns Barracuda, as a spare, which I'm hoping to replace with another Hooky. I've also got a Squier Bass VI that I need to get around to selling.

Not heard of a Burns Barracuda. Will google it. I remember being at a Burns demo near where i lived back in late 70's. The Burns Bison was just out and Tony Reeves from Greenslade was doing the rounds as bass demonstrator.

They made some fantastic basses back in the day.

Dave

• Like 1

15 hours ago, theplumber said:

Played in George Sq,Glasgow for the Winterfest. The usual market and funfair Chrimbo stuff. Very busy and great atmosphere. Was not looking forward to it at all due to worries about parking and the gear we had to use on shared stage. No worries though,all good with a decent onstage sound and seems it was great out front! Many thanks to The Clutha Trust for asking us! I played through a Line 6 combo using my Squier Classic Vibe P bass which is deffo living up to the hype! Loving it!

393617693_869175454706624_4129127308604258147_n.jpg

405850941_2024067077958897_8261864789629980775_n.jpg

407459183_10230578117337289_5385611727583631992_n.jpg

Nice one Stevie. The neck width of standard P is what puts me off them. Will look into them a bit more.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice one Stevie. The neck width of standard P is what puts me off them. Will look into them a bit more.

Dave

I never bothered with the neck or nut width before getting the Vintera/Classic P bass. Seems they are 44.45mm. How do you find yours? I got hold of the Godin and it's 38.1mm jazz size I think! That seemed to suit me better. Had a look online and seen there was a lot of difference between the P bass nut width. My Player series worked for me but at the moment the Squiers are perfect! Well at least I know what to look for when I get hold of another bass....lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theplumber said:

I never bothered with the neck or nut width before getting the Vintera/Classic P bass. Seems they are 44.45mm. How do you find yours? I got hold of the Godin and it's 38.1mm jazz size I think! That seemed to suit me better. Had a look online and seen there was a lot of difference between the P bass nut width. My Player series worked for me but at the moment the Squiers are perfect! Well at least I know what to look for when I get hold of another bass....lol

Yep my Jazz style basses are all 38mm. My Mex PJ also 38mm.

Sandberg VM4 is nearer 40mm which still ok

Vintera is 44mm. Altho its wide its a thin style neck and not so bad. The more i play it the more i'm ok with it. Maybe a Rosewood neck P bass might suit me better too as the maple neck gives it a bit more zingy tone.

Warwick Thumb NT is 38mm too.

Dave

• Like 3

15 hours ago, tvickey said:

It was our 13th gig as a band, so we knew that something just had to go wrong!

We played the Akēdo Gaming Bar in Lincoln last night (it's our second time there this year), which is a great little venue but with one of the smallest stages that I've ever seen.

The guitarist and I live relatively close, so we loaded up one car with gear and started out relatively early to give ourselves plenty of setup time (lots of snow, ice and fog on the road!).  Just as soon as we set off there is a text message from our vocalist:  He's just been in an accident.  Fortunately our singer is physically okay, but his car is not. 

Guitarist and I quickly divert to head north one additional hour and pick up the vocalist.  We arrive at the venue about 30 minutes before we're due to start playing; the organizer is relaxed and doesn't mind a late start.  Phew.

We played really well last night, maybe the best yet.  As I've mentioned on Basschat a few times, we always record our sets live.  This significantly added to the stress of a late arrival (with mic setup, etc.), but it all worked out in the end. 

There was a small boy, maybe 6 years old or so, in the audience (with some pretty serious hearing protection, of course).  He really seemed to enjoy the show, dancing around as we played our set. He and his mom are friends with our drummer and came up to the stage area afterwards.    We gave the boy a few souvenirs (setlist, drumstick, plectrum).  

Our singer crowd-surfed at the very end of our set, and fortunately survived.  No one broke any bones, this time!

Our sound guy wanting everything miked and setting up a video camera is a frustration for me. We should start on time not wait five minutes for the video to get started.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not a bad one for the final before one guitarist and vocalist jet off to sunnier climes. New bar opening down the road and a big puller just out of town so I held out little hope for the usual noisy night for our venue, but it was reasonably busy and they were up for it…so go in glass half empty and be pleased by half full worked.

A couple of us suffering from the start of this *****y cold doing the rounds but didn’t affect us too much. The odd fluff, but “no one died” and I doubt the crowd noticed.

next up for me a couple of deps at the end of January and rehearsal/get together to make some noise pre-Christmas for my first band from 45 years ago (unless any more deps come in the meantime)

Edited by WalMan
  • Like 14

Not sure if this counts, but just done my first school concert in my new job teaching primary age kids to play in rock bands.

More terrifying than any gig I've ever done.

Enjoyed it now that it's over...

No crying, being sick or wet pants  and the kids did pretty well too.

• Like 15
  • Haha 7

23 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I'm involved with my mate's 'Rockschool' summer school project for the kids who take music lessons with him. They form groups of up to 5 and a tutor mentors them. It's scary how good some of them are. Last time I did it, the band of 14 and 15 year olds I tutored did three covers, wrote their own tune and, because they nailed it all early (the school runs for a week), they learnt Hotel California, complete with harmony guitar solo. At the end of the school, there's a concert in a decent venue with proper stage, sound and lights and they went down a storm.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Not sure if this counts, but just done my first school concert in my new job teaching primary age kids to play in rock bands.

Enjoyed it now that it's over...

No crying, being sick or wet pants  and the kids did pretty well too.

Well done sir. :hi:

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

I'm involved with my mate's 'Rockschool' summer school project for the kids who take music lessons with him. They form groups of up to 5 and a tutor mentors them. It's scary how good some of them are. Last time I did it, the band of 14 and 15 year olds I tutored did three covers, wrote their own tune and, because they nailed it all early (the school runs for a week), they learnt Hotel California, complete with harmony guitar solo. At the end of the school, there's a concert in a decent venue with proper stage, sound and lights and they went down a storm.

Brilliant to hear kids are still doing it the right way.

Dave

• Like 3

Sunday to Saturday am-dram run this week, a Christmas spectacular. All songs arranged by the MD and a very wide range of repertoire, so of the usual suspect Christmas numbers and lots of choral and traditional stuff as well. Long- start at 7:30 to 10:20.

Used the absolute tiniest rig I could manage, iPad for chart, V7 into lmt500, db elbee 10 inch cab, no pedals just a clip on tuner. Will be out in 5 minutes tonight, will take a lot longer to get my wife (who’s in the cast) out of the bar, luvvie darhlingsss.

IMG_4066.jpeg

Edited by scalpy
  • Like 13

Final gig of 2023 last night.  No2 Baker Street in Stirling Town with an intimate, chilled out and appreciative crowd. Very warm atmosphere and the band played well. Only issue bass wise was a seamless switch over from my main bass playing finger to the backup finger mid tune towards the end of the third set when a touch of cramp set in during Go Buddy Go. Apart from that one issue, a very enjoyable end of year gig was had by all and very well paid as the accumulated wealth in the band gigging bank account was cleared out end of year and distributed between the band members.

Bass rig on the night was my trusty lefty MIM P-bass into a GEB-7 with an accentuated 120Hz boost, an LMB-3 and same as it ever was via a TC Poly Tune. Amp wise was my Ashdown Labs MK500 and trusty 1980s Musicman RH115 cab sporting a recently installed Lavoce Neo high performance 15" driver. Sounded immense and super heavy on the low end. A wee video clip from the drummerist video cam set about two foot back on a shelf behind our drummer and looking towards the audience. Taken with a mobile phone camera. Merry Christmas Bass Chatters 🎄 

• Like 17

Nice little jaunt into Dronfield last night, great club with a nice clientele and atmosphere. The Christmas songs got their 3rd play of the season and spirit is still sufficient that no one is groaning yet.

Audience decided they wanted us to stay up all night but after 6 encore numbers we were released and even managed to get in just before 1.IMG_1346.thumb.jpeg.3b4364bfbd3db29910f0df7939c93106.jpegIMG_1349.thumb.jpeg.8060035548c84fdae07aae65afccb7e8.jpegIMG_1348.thumb.jpeg.adb60954dd8ed3d5e12b657ce8a31b5d.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 15

Probably my last post here for a while.

Last night was the final Jump The Shark gig after 13 years. As I've been reading on other threads, finding a new band is tricky, and I've been incredibly lucky with this one.

We finished at our favourite venue, it was packed and they were dancing from the start. A load of our mates had come along and the atmosphere was brilliant.

We played well. Very, very well. Everyone found an extra gear. Sound was good, we were really cooking.

And then.

Halfway through set 2, a drunken punter tripped over the monitor and knocked the singer's mic right into her face.

At first we thought it was a broken cheekbone. Fortunately not, but she had a big cut just above her eye, a pounding head and the beginnings of a quality shiner.

Gig over.

Not the way we envisaged finishing. Everyone was incredibly frustrated, but nothing we could do. No way we could finish the set as none of the rest of us could hold a vocal well enough.

Bugger. 

Anyway, videos from before the stoppage.

Gear report - Ibanez SMS 1005, Ashdown RM 500, TKS 212

Edited by colleya
  • Like 2
  • Sad 13

Lydney Town Hall last night with the Soul Destroyers... tickets sold out a week ago and they were a great crowd, especially after they'd availed themselves of the bar... :lol: it was our first time with this promoter and I think they liked us... In the interval between sets, they asked if we could play next year's NYE.

14 hours ago, scalpy said:

Sunday to Saturday am-dram run this week, a Christmas spectacular. 

I played in an am-dram pantomime pit band some years back in Chippenham, it was a great time. Did three years with them, it's an experience I'd instantly recommend to anyone. "Oh no you wouldn't!" Oh yes I would. Etc.

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, colleya said:

Last night was the final Jump The Shark gig after 13 years. As I've been reading on other threads, finding a new band is tricky, and I've been incredibly lucky with this one.

We finished at our favourite venue, it was packed and they were dancing from the start. A load of our mates had come along and the atmosphere was brilliant.

We played well. Very, very well. Everyone found an extra gear. Sound was good, we were really cooking.

And then.

Halfway through set 2, a drunken punter tripped over the monitor and knocked the singer's mic right into her face.

At first we thought it was a broken cheekbone. Fortunately not, but she had a big cut just above her eye, a pounding head and the beginnings of a quality shiner.

Gig over.

Not the way we envisaged finishing. Everyone was incredibly frustrated, but nothing we could do. No way we could finish the set as none of the rest of us could hold a vocal well enough.

Bugger. 

Anyway, video evidence.

That's a real shame, you all sounded fantastic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, colleya said:

And then.

Gig over.

Bugger. 

Anyway, video evidence.

The band sounds great. I'm surprised you'd all call it a day when you sound so good together. Any particular reason ?

Pretty sure you'd find another band. You sound competent and you do backing vocals so that's a good plus.

Good luck for whatever you decide to do but it would be a waste of talent if you don't get back out there.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

The band sounds great. I'm surprised you'd all call it a day when you sound so good together. Any particular reason ?

Pretty sure you'd find another band. You sound competent and you do backing vocals so that's a good plus.

Good luck for whatever you decide to do but it would be a waste of talent if you don't get back out there.

Dave

Thanks Dave. We're stopping for a couple of reasons. The drummer has moved to Coniston, a 4 hour round trip for gigs. The guitarist now really suffers the day after a gig, it pretty much a write off for him, so he fancies a break too.

I'm hopeful for a new band, but it's one of a few hobbies for me, so I only gig once a month. Most of the bands I've had contact with want more than that. It's just a case of finding one where we're all on the same page.

• Like 4

Bandwidth (not my idea!) did a little 45 minute support slot for the After Hours Band at Blakeney Harbour Room yesterday evening. I didn’t get off to a good start having had to do a massive detour on the way to the gig because of an accident blocking the road. I had set out with a low charge in the car (it wasn’t far) and the detour used up all my contingency, so I was worried I wouldn’t make it home afterwards. We set up on the floor in front of the stage, so as not to interfere with the main band’s set up. As ever I was pushed into a square foot right on top of my amp and I share my monitor with the drummer, so we both end up not being able to hear it 😏.

We use minimum stage volume (drummer uses an electronic kit) and we all DI but we always have a struggle setting up the PA. The lead guitarist has a digital mixer, which should be great but I think the technology has defeated him and we seem to go round the same issues every time. We took about 1 1/2 hours to set up, whereas the main act was done in the time it took them to assemble the gear on stage and very impressive it was. My little Peavey Max 150 combo (running at 8 o’clock on Main) was dwarfed by their bassist’s stack of two Aguilar SL 4x10s in beautiful ivory tolex, with I think a 750 watt Tone Hammer sitting on that - sounded massive.

I felt uncomfortable throughout the gig, like me and the drummer were chasing the beat, rather than setting it. Not helped by not being able to hear the guitars and keys but the punters seemed to enjoy it. We got plenty of compliments afterwards. We then managed to break down and clear our gear in less than 20 minutes, only to find After Hours didn’t start for another 25 minutes. I stayed to listen to them for an hour afterwards and they were amazing. Really tight, with excellent dual guitar work (a touch of the Wishbone Ash in parts) and fantastic bass. Worth catching if they come your way. 

On the good side, I made it home through the raging storm (branches flying across the road, etc), with about 5% charge left on arrival.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, colleya said:

Last night was the final Jump The Shark gig after 13 years.

What a shame - a cracking band, by the looks of those videos.  Still, all good things come to an end, and I reckon you can be proud of your involvement there.  Hope the singer recovers quickly - what a sod of a way to end the last gig.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1