Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Just now, King Tut said:

Who was your old Housemate? My bandmates make me feel young - except for our drummer!

I used to share a house with JV's son for a few years, back in the 90s . He was a fine bass player in his day. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

You need to play at Sturgis bike rally.

Lot of skimpy gear on show there from what i've been told and seen. :laugh1:

image.png.1157bcb4baf57e9c1486f86e2b494c1a.png

Personally i prefer this pic.

image.png.036e35058f6a24d0722643e2ab8e1b6d.png

Sturgis isn't what I call a biker crowd or event. Funny you mentioned  Stugis, it's  not far from me. Maybe a little over an hour.

Blue

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Sturgis isn't what I call a biker crowd or event. Funny you mentioned  Stugis, it's  not far from me. Maybe a little over an hour.

Blue

Pity you dont have a Harley you'd be in Heaven with Sturgis an hour away and playing the HD Museum. 

Sturgis is the top rally for Harley Owners even for Harley Owners in UK dream about going. Its probably THE most famous Harley Rally.

From what i've seen of it its as good as you get for a biker crowd.

Dave

23 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Punk audience can be a hit or a miss. Was a decent wee crowd last night probably because it was glorious weather.

Glam band is really starting to pick up now and we are getting reasonably busy with bookings already in for next year incl one on 28th Dec 2024 so that's good.

Enjoying both bands as they are so different. One is turn up, plug and play and the other being more a show.

Did think about trying Horse & Jockey but its awfy wee and not sure we could fit in there with the punk band. Not sure what they pay either ?

Dave

Not to go off on a tangent.

Some guys are not in this for the money, I'm not one of them. 

If  your like me and the money is important the amount of pay is important.  Sometime the pay isn't  worth all the effort involved. And I say , there's  no shame in turning down low pay gigs.

Blue

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

The Sturgis event I'm thinking of is song writers festival. 

Blue

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Pity you dont have a Harley you'd be in Heaven with Sturgis an hour away and playing the HD Museum. 

Sturgis is the top rally for Harley Owners even for Harley Owners in UK dream about going. Its probably THE most famous Harley Rally.

From what i've seen of it its as good as you get for a biker crowd.

Dave

Hi Dave,

A Harley would have been cool for me maybe 40 years ago. I have too many fears now. I might fall and scape my knee. Lol 😆 

Daryl

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Not to go off on a tangent.

Some guys are not in this for the money, I'm not one of them. 

If  your like me and the money is important the amount of pay is important.  Sometime the pay isn't  worth all the effort involved. And I say , there's  no shame in turning down low pay gigs.

Blue

We decided on a lower limit for both bands altho we have a few "mates rates" gigs soon.

Dave

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluewine said:

Hi Dave,

A Harley would have been cool for me maybe 40 years ago. I have too many fears now. I might fall and scape my knee. Lol 😆 

Daryl

There's always the Trike but its ridiculously expensive even in US.

i've had my current Harley since 2003 when i bought it from dealer it was only 4mths old.

Never too old for a Harley Daryl.

Dave

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I thought that a Harley was the bike that guys get when they get to our age...! 

• Haha 1

We played the Load of Hay in Watford again last night.  We were outside in the beer garden this time, as the weather was glorious.  Unfortunately, I had come down with a chest infection the night before and have just started a course of antibiotics.  Consequently, I gave up on the backing vocals but I was able to stand and play.

The beer garden is quite small but we had an appreciative crowd of about 25; got asked for a few encores and several people complimented us afterwards, which is always nice.

Our set up last night

IMG_0724.jpeg

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 10

So following the euphoria of last week's festival appearance, lase night was very much a back to business affair.  Getting hot and sweaty to 40 people upstairs at The Pipeline in Brighton.

Succinct review from promoter Andy Cavendish (who said he has '500 bands in my Rolodex').  We actually ran out of songs and played our opener again!

Spector EuroX/Darkglass AO900 through house Ampeg cab.

image.png.79a30aba36f7b1a7bd2cc73a93c2ff3a.png

image.png.c728434e90d058e7664f3cb7926a3d66.png

• Like 16

7 hours ago, BillyBass said:

We played the Load of Hay in Watford again last night.  We were outside in the beer garden this time, as the weather was glorious.  Unfortunately, I had come down with a chest infection the night before and have just started a course of antibiotics.  Consequently, I gave up on the backing vocals but I was able to stand and play.

The beer garden is quite small but we had an appreciative crowd of about 25; got asked for a few encores and several people complimented us afterwards, which is always nice.

Our set up last night

IMG_0724.jpeg

25 people seems like " Woodstock " compared to the crowd of 6 we played to last weekend. Lol

Blue

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

25 people seems like " Woodstock " compared to the crowd of 6 we played to last weekend. Lol

Blue

Our previous gig was a bit like that.  The landlord of the pub had done pretty much zero advertising and there was a function in the outside area (it was raining quite heavily, so we were inside).  The only people watching us were a few regulars that happened to be in the pub on the Saturday afternoon.

We came away with a bit of a bad taste in our mouths, however, the landlord has asked us back for a birthday do in December, and we will be paid. so why not.

More photos of you wearing the cowboy hat are needed😉

Pretty good gig for us last night playing in a new pub for the first time. We kind of expected it to be a very quiet affair as it was not advertised (the pub apologised), hot and most were outside but we did have a handful of people listening. Second set was amazing though as everyone came in and just headed down to watch us and were up singing and dancing and the being a typical pub audience 😂 Got to play two encores and the landlady loved it and booked us right away for a date next year.

Best for me however was someone coming up to me and asking if I'm a Pino Palladino fan which I replied "I am" which he replied, "I thought so as I could hear it in your playing and some of the lines you were playing" 😎

• Like 8

This afternoon's gig was at the Ramsden Village Fete. The brief, apparently, was: Start 30 minutes before the end and keep playing until the beer tent has been drained dry.

The covered stage area had little protection against sun coming from the sides so it was uncomfortably hot. But, not for long! This is England, and so some wind and heavy rain was along soon enough to fix that problem.
Luckily the amps escaped but the drummer and his kit got very wet.

The audience seemed to be enjoying the set and they wouldn't have fancied leaving anyway in such weather, and we had fun and got paid.

Edited by knirirr
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

So following the euphoria of last week's festival appearance, lase night was very much a back to business affair.  Getting hot and sweaty to 40 people upstairs at The Pipeline in Brighton.

Succinct review from promoter Andy Cavendish (who said he has '500 bands in my Rolodex').  We actually ran out of songs and played our opener again!

Spector EuroX/Darkglass AO900 through house Ampeg cab.

image.png.79a30aba36f7b1a7bd2cc73a93c2ff3a.png

image.png.c728434e90d058e7664f3cb7926a3d66.png

Andy has put my band on a few times now - jolly good bloke!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knirirr said:

This afternoon's gig was at the Ramsden Village Fete. The brief, apparently, was: Start 30 minutes before the end and keep playing until the beer tent has been drained dry.

The covered stage area had little protection against sun coming from the sides so it was uncomfortably hot. But, not for long! This is England, and so some wind and heavy rain was along soon enough to fix that problem.
Luckily the amps escaped but the drummer and his kit got very wet.

The audience seemed to be enjoying the set and they wouldn't have fancied leaving anyway in such weather, and we had fun and got paid.

Everyone should be careful with gigging on uncovered stages on hot summer days.

We had this challenge  last weekend at a 10 band 2 stage festival.  We were lucky, our slot was only 40 minutes,  and that was cut by 10 minutes when the " powers that be" announced the winning raffle numbers .

Blue

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Everyone should be careful with gigging on uncovered stages on hot summer days.

We had this challenge  last weekend at a 10 band 2 stage festival.  We were lucky, our slot was only 40 minutes,  and that was cut by 10 minutes when the " powers that be" announced the winning raffle numbers .

Blue

This evening a covered outdoor... and landlord promises no rain 🙄 .... but will there be a riot when they switch the champions league final off?

20230610_202055.thumb.jpg.03014bf2408028ff9103b664b1a3c241.jpg

• Like 8

Billy Bootleggers in Newcastle tonight. Great venue, bijou and compact stage area but in-house PA with engineer is always welcome. Six pm kick off and two strict 45 minute sets meant I was home, gear away and sitting down by 9pm. We’ve played better, but it was still a great gig 😎

IMG_0154.jpeg

IMG_0153.jpeg

• Like 11

Hot & sweaty - great!

I slapped some new strings on my guitar and took it along for the guitarist to play. He fell in love with it :D

20230610_204755.thumb.jpg.5cceb2251b6475cb23de279d8a38f166.jpg

The blue thinline tele is the "Nozcaster" that I built for myself (build #1). The wood LPJ double cut is the guitar that I made for the guitarist (build #2). I'm proud to say that both guitars sounded amazing in his hands. I really must find the time to build myself a bass :) (Enjoying the Sire 5-string P loads though!)

• Like 7