Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

4 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Well the NYE gig was a bit of a surprise. Usually it can be a ‘Larry letdown’ but on this occasion it was pretty good with the crowd in good sorts and lots of dancers in both sets. It was a ticket do but there was just over 100 present and the vast majority stayed until the new year. Just one gig in January for me (on the 7th) then a bit of a break while I have biopsies and what not.

Nice one about the gig and hope the biopsy isn't anything serious m8.

All the best

Dave

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Dave, We'll be back at the HD museum on 1/14. I'll take some pics.

Daryl

Oh you're just rubbing it in Daryl :laugh1:

Pics always welcome from HD Museum or any of your gigs.

You've played there a few times now so you must be good at what you do.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

New year then, we did a new year gig in a working mens club, where there is normally quite a crowd (and there was a crowd too). We did 9:15-10:30 10:45-11:45 and 12:05 to 12:30, so quite long overall. Couldn't get the sound good, which is odd as I normally can at this venue. it didn't seem very loud but was feeding back if I went up. No idea why, although I also had a problem with the Saxophone, its level was way down.

Overall apart from that it wasn't bad, the audience was good, and even though we brought in loads of tracks we hadn't done in a while to mix things up, there weren't any major issues. This was the last gig with the last guitarist. He wanted to leave (again) and gave us a deadline of this year, so despite asking he was going, so we auditioned and got a new guy, then just after we got him has now changed his mind and wants to go back. Its made things a bit awkward and I was having issues with it, but after this gig, setting up, breaking down with the 3 of us while he stood and chatted, I remember that I was quite happy with it!

Paid very well, seemed to go well but for some reason, it wasn't my favourite gig, although no idea why.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oh you're just rubbing it in Daryl :laugh1:

Pics always welcome from HD Museum or any of your gigs.

You've played there a few times now so you must be good at what you do.

Dave

Dave , Yeah we play the HD Museum allot. We have an " in " with the director. However, as you know all it takes is a change in management and your back to square one.

Daryl

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its also a great sounding band and its nice to see that you all look pretty relaxed playing too.

Dave

Thanks again Dave. To be honest I'm not sure how stable we are. Members of the band are half my age and have careers and busy lifestyles.

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

Back at the regular Weds Jam Night we host, and it was a busy one, so I got to play about five songs and spend the rest of the time watching other people play my gear. 

That thing where you're in the crowd and you get to hear your setup (and bass) from out front? It sounded fantastic...mostly, when people just left it all wide open: there were a couple of people who wound the tone right back, which isn't my speed, but it was still there. And that's just my Small Rig (Stomp -> Modded Rumble 100* plus DI into house desk/wall-mounted speakers), too...

Curiously GAS-killing moment; I sat there thinking 'I can't really improve on any of that'... 🙂

* I've put a 'proper' Eminence 12 in it, to get every last db out of it...works very well...

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Angelus said:

Drummers harmonies impressed me there Blue, wish our drummer could do that. 👍

Thanks

Yeah, I noticed his harmonies but only in the clip. He does a nice job.When I'm playing I'm more focused on keeping the groove tight.

I'm working on adding my own harmony to a few songs. I struggle with singing and playing bass at the same time.

Blue

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

. I struggle with singing and playing bass at the same time.

Blue

You are not alone there! I can do it if I am playing guitar, even quite complex picking, or slide parts but on bass, no way. I am yet to get my head round why. I can just about manage the response part of a blues call and response but anything else is beyond me. 

• Like 2

We kicked off our 2023 gigs at the now customary Hull New Theatre, a great place.

Sold out house of 1330 people who come to see us play in our 'hometown' venue every year.

Always a bit of a nervous one (nobody wants to fall on their ar*e in front of a local crowd), we 

played well and threw in a couple of songs we've not played for years which were well received.

Also significant for me as my 9 year old grandson came along, his first gig etc. He actually loved

it and didn't fall asleep even after a long day at school!

Home by 11pm so quite a novelty for me.

Next week we're in Weston Super Mare and Wimborne so back on the road for real - hoping the

weather stays mild.

IMG_1434.JPG

IMG_1440.JPG

9fdf61dd-a200-406c-8d9b-deaa2a88ac93.JPG

Edited by casapete
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from another gig at the Exchange. A small pub with a difficult layout, but licslsxwho love their blues and clasdoc rock. A grand time was had by all, loads of great comments from the punters. Landlord wants us to play bluest blue next time 😁

Finally gigged my Westone Thunder 1 (thanks @stewblack ) suffice to say it lived up to its name, plays lovely stings just fall under your fingers, and sounds like a force of nature.

• Like 6

First one of the new year and the last one this month as we take a little medical/rejuvenative break until February. A mid sized pub, The Royal, just outside the centre of Huddersfield; the place had been done out since the last time we played mid 2022 and what a great job they’d done. The place now houses a great stage area as they’ve knocked a few of the small rooms together and it’s made a massive difference. Surprisingly, given the time of year, the place was packed and we had an appreciative clientele from the off. Ended up doing 2 encores which made it a long night but well enjoyable. One odd thing was a couple of slightly worse for wear ladies coming up to me mid set saying I was miming the bass....I took it as a compliment that I sounded as good as a backing track.

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, martthebass said:

First one of the new year and the last one this month as we take a little medical/rejuvenative break until February. A mid sized pub, The Royal, just outside the centre of Huddersfield; the place had been done out since the last time we played mid 2022 and what a great job they’d done. The place now houses a great stage area as they’ve knocked a few of the small rooms together and it’s made a massive difference. Surprisingly, given the time of year, the place was packed and we had an appreciative clientele from the off. Ended up doing 2 encores which made it a long night but well enjoyable. One odd thing was a couple of slightly worse for wear ladies coming up to me mid set saying I was miming the bass....I took it as a compliment that I sounded as good as a backing track.

As a bass player all or any comments are always welcome. Nice one.

Dave

• Haha 3

First gig of the year last night at The Fighting pink torpedos in Kingston. Used my Orange LBT head and venues GK cab. Lots of compliment over my tone, which was much appreciated. I've been thinking about swapping out my sansamp VT Bass DI for an Orange Bass Butler, but all the compliments are now making think maybe I should just save my money and stick with what I have...

• Like 4