Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

simple R/C timer circuit is here - http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/rc/rc_1.html

Then into a tranny switch. Never had to do this, but just thinking about it from fundamentals. There's probably an easier way to do it, so hopefully someone else will be along in a moment to improve on it.

Transistor as a switch: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/transistor/tran_4.html

I really don't like working with 1590a enclosures, I've done a few true bypass loopers and buffers in them and thats about as much as I'd want to do.
Checkout some of the MadBean & DIY pedal forums, some amazing work on there, one guy did a Klon clone in a 1590a, ridiculous:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img842/8905/metadriverguts.jpg

Si

I like soldering up circuit boards, but I hate the wiring side of things!!

Knocking up my Devi Ever Soda Meiser. Signal goes all the way through the circuit, into the volume pot but nothing comes out.
Checked the pot and it's fine.

Viewed from the underside: signal goes in to the left leg, out is the middle and ground is the right.

anyone have any ideas?

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1423081731' post='2680570']
Can you point me in the direction of a simple timer circuit and / or transistor switching? I've not come across either.
Many thanks for the reply
[/quote]

For the timer, look into the 555 timer IC. I think there'll be millions of circuits on the interwebs.

Just finished an EHX Small Clone (clone). Beautiful, lush chorus.
[url="http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/paul_510/media/EHXSmallClone_zps09530e5c.png.html"][/url]

I modded it by swapping the 150pf capacitor between pins 1 & 3 of the 4047 to a 330pf to make it [i]super[/i] wobbly. Loads of low end and sounds great on t'other guitar too - very 'early Rush' sounding...

Edited by paul_5

This is the Madbean Afterlife Compressor with the 'Ghost Note' sensitivity change mod which basically adds a threashold control. I've put it in an old enclosure I had lying around - I'll get a new one in my next order. I think it's really good with guitar - I haven't tried it with bass as both my bass amps are u/s at the mo'. I put an ultra-bright blue LED in - that may have been a mistake as I can still 'see' it each time I blink!!

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1424253142' post='2694290']
This is the Madbean Afterlife Compressor with the 'Ghost Note' sensitivity change mod which basically adds a threashold control. I've put it in an old enclosure I had lying around - I'll get a new one in my next order. I think it's really good with guitar - I haven't tried it with bass as both my bass amps are u/s at the mo'. I put an ultra-bright blue LED in - that may have been a mistake as I can still 'see' it each time I blink!!
[/quote]

I've built one of those before, put it in a 1590A enclosure - fantastic little compressor on bass.
Try a higher value resistor, say 15k to dim down the brightness of that migraine inducing blue LED. Also, I rub those blue LEDs with a bit of fine sandpaper, to take the sheen off - gives effect of diffused LED. Much kinder on the eyes :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='nick' timestamp='1424262636' post='2694468']
I've built one of those before, put it in a 1590A enclosure - fantastic little compressor on bass.
Try a higher value resistor, say 15k to dim down the brightness of that migraine inducing blue LED. Also, I rub those blue LEDs with a bit of fine sandpaper, to take the sheen off - gives effect of diffused LED. Much kinder on the eyes :)
[/quote]

ooo - thanks. Lots of good info there.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1424199020' post='2693787']
Is there anyone on here fancies looking at a Fuzzrocious Dark Driving that doesn't seem to be playing right for me please?
[/quote]

Whats up with it? (as best as you can describe)
PM me of you'd like

Si

Finally got around to adding a blend control to my Zen Overdrive pedal. This is always on for a bit of low gain dirt, but it lost a fair amount of the low end. So for the last year or so I've been using a LS-2 to add a clean loop back in. Now I can just have the one pedal.

One day I'll tidy up the rats nest of wires.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1424283499' post='2694753']
JFET blend. Nice!
[/quote]

Yeah, super simple to knock up. Nice and clean sounding with no loss of the lows.
I can see this being a regular add in to DIY pedals, gonna add one to my Soda Meiser.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1424284500' post='2694769']
Yup, I've made (and still use) a good few of those. Super-useful.
[/quote]
Have you got a vero layout for it? I've been using the LPB-1, but it reverses the phase and, while I have used it specifically for that purpose, it would be nice to have one that doesn't. I assume, because I see two transistors on there, that that one doesn't.

Ah, I was getting my blend and boosts mixed up. That is in fact the blend I use. It's the boost I use to correct phases after pedals that reverse it. Otherwise you get a huge volume drop when the blend is around 50/50. I am building a dual loop pedal which will use a boost to switch the phase, and it will have a switch for switching the order. If it works I may well build a larger one with more loops but without the order switcher.

[url="http://freespace.virgin.net/alison.jackson/list/ElectronicProjects/BlendLoopBoost.pdf"]http://freespace.vir...ndLoopBoost.pdf[/url] (linked to because the .png I have is massive)

I wanted it as small as possible, so I flipped one and have them sharing the ground strip.

Edited by KingBollock