Why become a member? ×

Classic Ibanez

FlatEric

[font="Arial Black"][b][/b][u][/u]Classic Ibanez - '74 to '85[/font]

As there are a lot of Classic Ibanez out there, I thought I would start a section for all Ibanez Basses made between 1974 to 1985, or thereabouts?

I'll kick off with a couple.

First up is something you don't see very often and took me [i]ages[/i] to find one.

[attachment=43150:Ib8.jpg]
[attachment=43151:Ib83.jpg]

Great "Piano-Like" tones and surprisingly easy to get on with.

The next is again, something that took me a long while to find and almost as long to find a case that fitted!!

[attachment=43152:Dest76.jpg]

There, that sould get us started. :)

Fire away!! :rolleyes:

I don't own any Ibanez basses (though I did have an 80's Roadstar II guitar which was really rather nice!).
I always fancied the 'Musician' MC924 bass, very popular in the 80's.
But back around the mid-70's, I wanted an 'Artist' bass (as well as the guitar), similar to this one:

Thought I'd stick up a few pics of my Ibby. It's an '82 MC824DS, with some of the loudest passive pickups I've ever come across. Controls are blend, volume and tone.

[attachment=43155:PICT0907.JPG]

Complete with factory hardshell case

[attachment=43156:PICT0908.JPG]

Lovely grain on the ash body wings, albeit slightly battle scarred

[attachment=43157:PICT0910.JPG]

Non original machine heads, unfortunately. These are semi-open Schallers, actually a one-sided set, so the D & G tuners work the wrong way round.

[attachment=43158:PICT0912.JPG]

3-piece maple through neck with walnut stringers. The contouring around the neck/body join is superb, although I don't get up there often enough to appreciate it :) More battle scars here too.

I've got it set up OK for the way I play, but it's quite badly in need of a fret dress or maybe even a refret to get it really fast and low. As it is though, I'm happy with it as my backup/jam night bass.

A

Here's my pair of lefty MC924's, an '81 and an '83. I need to take some better pics of the '83, but for now this 'll have to do :)
The thumbrest on the '81 was not mounted there by me. I wish it wasn't there, and especially not in that position as it is of no use whatsoever. Can't comfortably reach down to the G-string from there...

Pretty in pink - Ibanez 2366b, pre-75:

[attachment=43162:2366f.jpg] [attachment=43163:2366n.jpg]

Bought this off a BCer (sorry - can't remember your name offhand!) about 4 years ago, gorgeous old thing in fine condition, plays like butter & thumps like a thumpy thing. I don't think the 'trays are original but I'm not complaining! The fretboard has a lovely flame which you can just see a hint of in these pics.

1980 RS924 Roadster:

[attachment=43164:rs924v2.jpg]

Rubbish pic I'm afraid - I'll have to take some more that do it better justice. Picked this up from ScumTree about 3 years ago, ridiculous bargain at £80, being a total gyppo scumbag I bought it to profiteer (I've seen these Ebayed for £300+) but once I cleaned it up & re-strung it, I couldn't put it down or part with it. This hasn't been out of its case much in the last 30 years, & it's practically spotless - I've gigged it a couple of times but it's a hefty beast & my back doesn't like it for more than half an hour without a lie down! For that reason it's on recording duty - an excellent-sounding bass that seems to be great in any context.

Jon.

Here's a couple of Blazers. a1981 on the left, sold on now and my keeper on the right, a 1980. I really enjoy playing the Blazer, I can get some really nice burpy midrange from the pup and retro fitted active eq. Love it to bits. It was a she but now he's a he,meet Bob. :)

Jon, that 2366b is breathtaking,dibs on it please if ever you,well you know the rest. :rolleyes:

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='752284' date='Feb 20 2010, 10:13 PM']Jon, that 2366b is breathtaking,dibs on it please if ever you,well you know the rest. :)[/quote]
I [i]think[/i] it's a keeper - but you never know... :rolleyes:

I've also got a project Blazer the same as your 1980 one, which I bought off BCer MrPablo, who's quite local to me. It's all original & complete but the body needs a refin so it's presently in a queue!

J.

OOooo!! :)
Wow! Just got back from picking up another classic from The Land of the Rising Sun.
What a result. Some [i]Very[/i] nice basses so far, Keep them coming - there must be loads out there.

Stu. Do it! Not a Whole heap of beans and a great bass.
Kenny R. Nice one!
Jon. I'm sure you must have a big interest in [i]all things Ibanez[/i] Nice one!
Lefty. Ooo. Nice!
Alien: Gorgeous. Very Nice.

More, more, more! :rolleyes:

[quote name='FlatEric' post='751914' date='Feb 20 2010, 04:44 PM'][font="Arial Black"][b][/b][u][/u]Classic Ibanez - '74 to '85[/font]

As there are a lot of Classic Ibanez out there, I thought I would start a section for all Ibanez Basses made between 1974 to 1985, or thereabouts?

I'll kick off with a couple.

First up is something you don't see very often and took me [i]ages[/i] to find one.

[attachment=43150:Ib8.jpg]
[attachment=43151:Ib83.jpg]

Great "Piano-Like" tones and surprisingly easy to get on with.

Fire away!! :)[/quote]

Gorgeous!

I played one of these at the National Bass Bash in Northampton a couple of years ago and it was fabulous.. Great sound, fun to play - much easier than I thought actually..!

Good to see one here..

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='752196' date='Feb 20 2010, 08:48 PM']Here's my mates lovely 1979 Ibanez Musician (MC900??)

[attachment=43165:DSCF0444.JPG]
[attachment=43166:DSCF0446.JPG]

This one's currently for up sale here on basschat

If i could afford it i'd buy it myself!

:)[/quote]

Ooo- lovely!

I used to have one of those in the late 80s, early 90s. Lovely instrument. For some stupid reason I sold it for peanuts.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='752078' date='Feb 20 2010, 07:15 PM']Pretty in pink - Ibanez 2366b, pre-75:

[attachment=43162:2366f.jpg] [attachment=43163:2366n.jpg]

Bought this off a BCer (sorry - can't remember your name offhand!) about 4 years ago, gorgeous old thing in fine condition, plays like butter & thumps like a thumpy thing. I don't think the 'trays are original but I'm not complaining! The fretboard has a lovely flame which you can just see a hint of in these pics.

1980 RS924 Roadster:

[attachment=43164:rs924v2.jpg]

Rubbish pic I'm afraid - I'll have to take some more that do it better justice. Picked this up from ScumTree about 3 years ago, ridiculous bargain at £80, being a total gyppo scumbag I bought it to profiteer (I've seen these Ebayed for £300+) but once I cleaned it up & re-strung it, I couldn't put it down or part with it. This hasn't been out of its case much in the last 30 years, & it's practically spotless - I've gigged it a couple of times but it's a hefty beast & my back doesn't like it for more than half an hour without a lie down! For that reason it's on recording duty - an excellent-sounding bass that seems to be great in any context.

Jon.[/quote]

that roadster is by far one of thebest looking basses i've ever seen
and i would love one if you get rid gimme a shout, looks a topper
really like ibanez stuff especially the older stuff like this i've got an atk 300
thats not in this things leauge i know but going by how good that is think i'll try
and track down one of these roadsters for myself, awesome collection man!!!

[quote name='hagguy' post='770809' date='Mar 10 2010, 07:20 PM']that roadster is by far one of thebest looking basses i've ever seen
and i would love one if you get rid gimme a shout, looks a topper
really like ibanez stuff especially the older stuff like this i've got an atk 300
thats not in this things leauge i know but going by how good that is think i'll try
and track down one of these roadsters for myself, awesome collection man!!![/quote]
Not thinking about selling just now but if I do, I'll let you know...

Meanwhile keep an eye on the JapCrap spotting sticky in the Ebay subforum - if one comes up it'll get flagged.

J.

No Black Eagle, I'm afraid!! Never actually seen one in the flesh.

How about these - hopefully they might promote a few more lurkers to post a pic
of their pride and joy.

[u]Old Thumper[/u]

These older Blazers don't arf kick out some bass!
[attachment=44728:Ib2.jpg]

[u]Ibanez Studio[/u]

Good Solid Bass, in every respect.

[attachment=44729:Ib3.jpg]

[u]A "Can't Remember" Ibanez[/u]

I'm sure someone will tell me!
Great player, with those funny Straplock thingies.
Never got round to gigging this - Must try harder, Eric :)

[attachment=44732:Ib1.jpg]

Come on, join in - there must be a [i]lot[/i] more Classic Ibanez out there. :rolleyes: