Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN

franzbassist

THIS BASS HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN FROM SALE

Okay folks, I think it’s time to sell my beloved Mk III Wal.

[i]Please[/i] don’t start posting with messages saying “don’t do it”, “it’s a keeper” etc. I have thought long and hard about this and I’ve decided it’s just too much bass to have sitting at home not getting any playing time.

This is a very special bass to me for a number of reasons, but probably the most important one for everyone else is that it is the last bass Pete Stephens made before he retired, so it truly does represent the end of the original Wal line.

So, what else makes this bass so special? Well, it has a few unique features:
[list]
[*]it’s the only Wal with spalted maple facings, supplied to Pete by me from a ski-ing holiday in Vermont
[*]American walnut core (usually mahogany)
[*]the custom neck pickup placement makes the bass a tad punchier and, to me, more ergonomic when playing fingerstyle (one other Wal has this pickup arrangement as well, which was also made for me)
[*]bound veneer around the pickups
[*]double pinstripe laminate (usually only one) between the core and facings
[*]Pete’s personal “fish” logo on the back of the headstock
[/list]
Weighing it at 10.5lb (4.75kilos), the bass balances well with no neck dive at all. It delivers all the classic Wal tones (and I’ve owned enough of them over the years to know!); big fat punchy bass but with plenty of control and presence. You can go from almost subharmonic to crystal-clear highs in the turn of a knob. If you like the Wal sound, then this bass is for you. (NB: If anyone needs to know more about the Wal electronics and how they work, please visit the Wal website [url="http://www.walbasses.co.uk/Electronics"]here[/url] for full details).

Paul Herman, former Electric Wood employee and the new owner of the Wal brand, gave it a PLEK setup and service in November last year.

Anyway, enough nattering, here are some pictures.

Wear is very light. Believe it or not it’s never been my main bass so has spent a lot of time safely wrapped up in the top of the line Levy’s gig bag that will be included in the sale. There are no noticeable scratches or dings. The only real wear I can ascertain is where the poly finish has lifted a bit on the body adjacent to one of the neck bolts.

As to price, well, a new standard MkIII 5 string would cost £3200 right now and a wait of at least a year. I think, given how rare Wals are in general and the moment in Wal history that this bass represents, I’m asking [b]£3300 firm[/b]. No offers and no trades.

Oh, and I would prefer not to post as I don’t have a hard case, but will do so if it’s really necessary (would recommend a hard case is added to the deal if that’s the, ahem, case).

If you’re interested I would encourage you to try the bass out. I live in NE Hampshire and work in Central London, so tryouts in either location are fine. I can’t provide any sound clips as I have no recording facilities, but you can see me playing the bass at Guilfest 2006 via the youtube link below.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UirkEQcQBsU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UirkEQcQBsU[/url]

Any questions, please get in touch.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

That's too beautiful for words really!!

Very interesting provenance on this bass too; the last one made by Pete, the little Fish logo on the headstock, the pick-up placement etc, etc? Obvious question.. have you put this on the Walbassesnaturally Forum yet because I would expect it to generate a great deal of interest there?

Good luck with the sale Gareth..

:)

What a beautiful bass!

I won't say don't sell it, don't worry. Only wanted to say how awesome these basses are, I own a Wal Cusom II and couldn't be happier, it's amazing the palette of sounds you have and how good an easy to play they are, it's my main bass without a doubt.

Bump for a stunning bass.

Thanks for the comments guys. Nik, I'm not on WBN any more so if you could point the folk there to this thread I'd appreciate it.

A few other things to point out following a PM:

The fingerboard is ebony rather than the usual rosewood for a fretted Wal.

Standard 9v Wal electronics and hardware.

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' post='743459' date='Feb 12 2010, 08:14 PM']Thanks for the comments guys. Nik, I'm not on WBN any more so if you could point the folk there to this thread I'd appreciate it.

A few other things to point out following a PM:

The fingerboard is ebony rather than the usual rosewood for a fretted Wal.

Standard 9v Wal electronics and hardware.

Cheers

Gareth[/quote]
No problem - all done!!

Edited by silverfoxnik

Beautiful bass, just sold my old Pro and gassing already for another Wal, but surely a similair new one would cost way more than the quoted £3,200 from Paul.
I thought Wals START at £3,200 (ie a Mach 1, 4 stringer) so this beauty would be substantially more so a real bargain for someone.

BB

Edited by BarnacleBob

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='743508' date='Feb 12 2010, 09:09 PM']surely a similair new one would cost way more than the quoted £3,200 from Paul.[/quote]

Thanks BB. Funnily enough I've literally just had a message back from Paul saying a new standard Mk III 5 would be £3600 and a year wait. I guess the extra features I have on this bass would add some extra on top of that, but how much I don't know.

[color="#8B0000"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Hi Gareth - Chris here - I remember taking all those pictures of your bass when "work in progress" in High Wycombe - do you still have the matching fretless neck?

My name has been on the list since Pete's retirement - Paul's lead time is currently 12 months and build time is 3 months

Anyway just to add that Paul has quoted me the standard £3600.00 for a fiver - but add gloss finish, special woods and black tuners it grosses out at £4100.00

So at 3 grand this is a steal !!

This is a very special bass

Chris F[/font][/color]

Hi Chris

Yes of course I remember you. Lots of people have commented that this is a steal, so I think I will have to revise my price upwards by a few hundred!

Also been looking at cases to facilitate shipping. I can add a Ritter seni-rigid case into the deal for another £25.

Cheers

Gareth

Ok guys, I think enough people have contacted me now that a change of price is justified. I am going to revise the asking price to [b]£3300[/b]. I hope this doesn't make anyone angry, I just want to make sure I get what people think is a far price.

Thanks to all.

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' post='743725' date='Feb 13 2010, 09:06 AM']Ok guys, I think enough people have contacted me now that a change of price is justified. I am going to revise the asking price to [b]£3300[/b]. I hope this doesn't make anyone angry, I just want to make sure I get what people think is a far price.

Thanks to all.

Gareth[/quote]
Just my 2p worth Gareth, but given the circumstances, the other comments here and especially Chris & Paul Herman's opinions, then I think you're perfectly justified in putting the price up by what is in effect, only 10%..

It's a beautiful bass as everyone has said.. Good luck with it!

My thought when I first saw the pics of this in '06 was that Pete had created his masterpiece to end his run. Absolutely stunning Wal. Beyond my means at the moment. I hope you hear from Mike G. who is a collector of sorts having some classic early Wals. This would fit him quite well I think. btw - price is more than fair.

dunc

:lol: I can't believe this 'un is up for sale!

I remember seeing the initial pics, and being floored by the spalted facings and detailing. If I recall correctly, didn't Pete vow never to work with spalted maple again after this? :rolleyes:

I would offer good luck, but that's clearly not going to be an issue here :lol: :)