Why become a member? ×

Megadeth 'Two Daves are Back Together'

Fitzy73

Man I saw Megadeth twice back in '95 and they were amzing, had Corrosion of Conformity supporting and met them all afterwards and had beers with both Daves for about an hour.
Really good to hear they might be playing proper metal again, just get Nick Menza and marty Friedman back and I'd actually go pay to watch them.

(I also saw "Megadave" at Download in 2005, wish I hadn't bothered....)

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='740554' date='Feb 10 2010, 01:48 AM']Seen Megadeth the last 2 (maybe 3) times they have been in glasgow with my mum (shes liked em since their 1st album) and i gotta say they are everything i was expecting and more. Always preferred dave tbh.[/quote]

I'm the same though it was my brother rather than my mum. Very impressed but yeah for me both Daves have to be in the band for it to truly be Megadeth!

Lomenzo is very much a hired hand, though a very good player. I just get annoyed with the way he had to change his entire wardrobe each time he got a gig. Saw him with Black Label and you could swear he was a born and bred biker, six months later in the same venue he rocking out in faded jeans and thrash metal gear. I know image plays a part in music but Lomenzo never seems to stamp his identity on a band, but rather blends in seemlessly to the point you don't recognise him! This is in contrast to Rob Trujillo who until recently was the another big metal bassist for hire, but always well...looked and played like Rob Trujillo!

Ah Megadeth, takes me back to my youth!

Remember going to see them in '90 when Clash of the Titans came to Edinburgh. Actually that's a lie, I only remember being pretty much deaf for about three days after it! Ellefson used to be a bit of a bass hero for me when I started playing bass, so it's good they're back together.

What can I say about Megadeth?? Quite alot actually... :)
1st saw them being completely blown off stage at the Hammy o by Flotsam&jetsam (1987?)
Then had the misfortune of them being in the way at the Monsters of rock('87 ?) '
(The following week I saw a different M O R lineupi n Germany. Apparently,
Mustaine nearly died at donington (literally :rolleyes: ) Testament replaced them
and were one of the best bands on the bill that day.

Fast forward to the mid 2000's, and I saw Megadeth twice at the Asstoria.(correct spelling :lol: )
1st timew ,they were great ,playing all of Peace sells,and more.
The last time, they were hideously bad. It was Mustaine & hired band. More life in a crematorium.

The behind the music programme on vh1 was good tho'.

Slayer are a much better band tho', and are always consistent. When the big 4 do their stuff later this year,
I think Megadeth will not be as good as even Anthrax.

As for Mr. Lomenzo, did I see him at a White Lion gig at the Old Marquee back in the '80s? :lol:

i'm looking forward to it. i remember when i was first getting into playing, i always liked the sound of the bass on the megadeth albums... long before i knew what contributed to tone or any of that - all that mattered was that it sounded good to me. ellefson isn't the most talented player on the planet (but a bloody good one all the same) - however no-one else sounds like him, and that includes J-Lo.

[quote name='Fitzy73' post='740446' date='Feb 9 2010, 10:41 PM']just read on www.megadeth.com , james loMenzo is gone and Dave is back . what happened[/quote]

Someone needs to go to Japan now and kidnap Marty Friedman.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='741354' date='Feb 10 2010, 07:32 PM']As for Mr. Lomenzo, did I see him at a White Lion gig at the Old Marquee back in the '80s? :)[/quote]

yes.

Someone needs to exhume Gar Samuelson and drag Chris Poland back from jazz hell so Megadeth can play Peace Sells in entirety live too.

Sorry if that seems in bad taste, but Peace sells is still the ultimate megadeth album for me. The Conjuring, Devil's Island, Bad Omen/Black Friday.. ..and how can the title track can not have gotten a mention yet - it has one of the most memorable bass lines in rock and metal.

I am so chuffed Dave Ellefson is back. Megadeth were always my favourite of the big four, closely followed by Anthrax then slayer with metallica trailing somwhere behind.

[quote name='kets' post='741332' date='Feb 10 2010, 07:18 PM']Ah Megadeth, takes me back to my youth!

Remember going to see them in '90 when Clash of the Titans came to Edinburgh. Actually that's a lie, I only remember being pretty much deaf for about three days after it! Ellefson used to be a bit of a bass hero for me when I started playing bass, so it's good they're back together.[/quote]

I went to the Clash of the Titans tour at Wembley when I was 15 - Suicidal Tendencies (Rob Trujillo was awesome), Testament, Megadeth and Slayer

Rust in Peace was an awesome album. For me, it's Peace Sells, So Far So Good and Rust in Peace - all brilliant. I really didn't like Countdown to Extinction - I was so disappointed by it. Couldn't really listen to much after that.

[quote name='Lenny B' post='743986' date='Feb 13 2010, 01:56 PM']I really didn't like Countdown to Extinction - I was so disappointed by it. Couldn't really listen to much after that.[/quote]

i love it! probably my favourite album - but then again I guess it was the first one I bought which may make a difference. i also liked cryptic writings - they just seem more intelligently written and a bit more serious.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' date='Feb 10 2010, 07:32 PM' post='741354'

As for Mr. Lomenzo, did I see him at a White Lion gig at the Old Marquee back in the '80s? :)
[/quote]

Yup, J-Lo played with White Lion for a while...

This just got weird(er)... Looks like Lomenzo's gonna be working with a band called Hydrogyn (!) which recently recruited Jeff Young (ex Megadeth) as guitarist..!