Why become a member? ×

GAK

ThomBassmonkey

Just wondered if it's only me or do they seem to have HORRIBLE service?

Ordered something from them a while back and after being told a delivery date, it failed to arrive. After ringing up I'd been told it hadn't even left the warehouse yet. I managed to get that sorted out and they kindly refunded me some money.

Then today I decided to give them another chance and rang up this morning at about 9:40. The person I was told I should speak to was busy but I was told he'd be free in 10 minutes so I decided to hang on. An hour later I rang back and he was still busy, so I left it again assuming he'd be free soon. I rang back after another hour and just placed the order with someone else (which was all I wanted to do in the first place, I don't know why I got told I should order from a certain person).

I just (4:45) got a call from the person I wanted to speak to originally and he said he'd only been told I wanted to speak to him within the last half hour.

They didn't have the item in stock but they say it should be with me in a week at most, I really hope I don't get messed about any more. I'm very unlikely to use them again which is a shame as they have a lot of nice gear for nice prices.

The problem seems to be with communication between their different areas rather than individuals, it seems very sloppy though and I'm surprised that such a successful store has these problems.

EDIT: I should add that they've been polite and quick to sort out the first delivery as well as the partial refund and that they've given me a good price on my current order which is good of them. I'm just still quite frustrated at the whole thing.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

Drop a line to "mark_random" he is the man to help you with GAK! I had excellent service from them, last year I've ordered an effect and it arrived the next day and that was on the 24th of December with all the stupid snow about and many people waiting for their stuff for ages so I had the opposite! Remember as well that GAK and gak.co.uk are 2 different places and operate somewhat independently!

The problem seems to be when people assume that ordering on their website is the direct responsibility of the people at the shop. Mark @ GAK as apologised many times for the website and always advocates calling him directly!

Si

In fairness when I posted this, I was still frustrated. It's not the worst place ever. They just seem very disorganised. Noone's been rude or actively done anything wrong, it's just a lack of communication. There hasn't really been a lot of hassle (compared to some place) but on the other hand, if stuff isn't going as expected I'm very on the ball about ringing up and getting it sorted out, so I don't know how it would've been if I'd let it be longer.

Mark's sent me a PM so I'll let him know what's going on, hopefully it'll all go smoothly then. :)

On the upside though, I've just had my first practice with the head I ordered last time and it sounded amazing, so hopefully the cab is pretty swift and I can have my new setup booming out asap. :rolleyes:

The only dealing I had with them was to send a message via their site asking if any of 5 items was in stock - it took nearly a week for them to reply, and even then they had no stock of the things I was looking for......not having the stock is not a problem - but the waiting for that long to an enquiry was a joke.....

I decided that the next time I would phone - I just got some arsey tw@t who was about as helpful as a hemorrhoid.....

So bugger it - no custom from me in the future

I dealt with the shop as I would rather ask and find out if something was in stock, but if you talk to the shop you are also talking to someone that's into their music too and maybe not as into the other things that are involved after they've just sold you a bass, even so my bass arrived V quickly but on sending it back for a refund I was given the run around a little, it won't put me off buying from them again though.

I've only been to the shop once - which was disappointing & first impressions count!
I 'phoned in advance to make sure a particular bass was in stock, so next day off I went. The bass was on display, to sum it up as "covered in crap" wouldn't be far from the truth. The usual snot & grot + more than a few marks - very off-putting when you're faced by a £899 price ticket! The only one of that model in the shop of course.
To be fair, the discounted price matched the online price, but it looked so second hand I weren't interested in them 'giving it a wipe over' - they could have done that before I got there if they cared about a sale.

It's one of the closest shops to me, about 30 miles away but I won't bother next time. The pros & cons of online/mail order - you can't see/touch what you're getting but you can be fairly sure it will be brand new & factory fresh, (if you're lucky).

I went into the shop some months ago and they were great.

I asked online if my F1 would fit into the outside pocket of a protection racket gig bag and they repplied with this.

" i'm prety sure you'd fit an F1 in there but i couldnt say for definate as i cant unbox a new one as it can annoy the customer that buys the amp"

then I realised that I was dealing with some warehouse and didn't bothered. I'll go and check with them next time I'm in Brighton

As it was said earlier Mark is off at the moment, although he is still taking emails. I will be in saturdays - Wednesdays and can be reached by PM or email on [email protected]

Apologies to anybody that has had a bad experience when ordering from our sister company website. Please give either Mark (mark_random) or myself an email or pm if you wish to order anything and we can personally deal with your enquiery.

cheers

Wes

[quote name='wesfinn' post='745984' date='Feb 15 2010, 03:41 PM']As it was said earlier Mark is off at the moment, although he is still taking emails. I will be in saturdays - Wednesdays and can be reached by PM or email on [email protected]

Apologies to anybody that has had a bad experience when ordering from our sister company website. Please give either Mark (mark_random) or myself an email or pm if you wish to order anything and we can personally deal with your enquiery.

cheers

Wes[/quote]

Wes, you can only do your best, after that, its out of your control, although I don't think you'll ever get reviews like Denmark St shops, I'm pretty sure nobody here goes there ( to buy that is).

[quote name='SS73' post='746060' date='Feb 15 2010, 04:31 PM']Wes, you can only do your best, after that, its out of your control, although I don't think you'll ever get reviews like Denmark St shops, I'm pretty sure nobody here goes there ( to buy that is).[/quote]

I don't think that's true. I for one don't want anything to do with the warehouse guys or the online shop and just emailed Wes to get me something I've been looking on the website. I'm sure that the service will be better than the online shop.

Just gonna add to this thread now I've had more dealings with them.

Basically the cab showed up and wasn't very loud before it started to distort (barely above band practice volumes and some of the tone was lost even in the practice as it got a bit muddy) so I rang up today and Adam has been pretty helpful. My band's recording next week and he's happy letting me keep the cab for that (because it sounds awesome at low volume) then going to give him a ring at the end of next week to sort it out.

After that they're going to take it back and test it (I thought it was a bit odd that it was reacting like that to volume), then seeing how that goes I'll either get another 210RBH or a neo 212 (or maybe something else, depends on the outcome).

Been very pleasant to deal with today and I really think that all the problems I've had have been down to poor communication (in fact today, someone was meant to be ringing me back and never did because the message didn't get passed on, it's sorted now though). Would I order from them again? Probably if it was a straight forwards order that I could just place then be happy that it was going to get delivered with no messing about.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

Emailed Mark at the start of the week about an Orange Bass Terror. He told me he was off but he'd pass the details to one of the guys in the shop.

Got a call on Tuesday night I think at the back of 5. They didn't have one there but had one in their warehouse so he was going to get it over and despatch it on Tuesday - said it would probably be with me on Thursday - it arrived on Wednesday.

did me a good price as well so I'm hapy with the service - not many shops that'll call you to take an order