Why become a member? ×

Recommend Me Some Effects Pedals

Killstarz

Hi Folks,

ok, a bit of background. About 3 years ago i sold all of my Bass effects which were all boss individual pedals (overdrive, Flanger, Chorus, Sustainer and a Crybaby bass wah).
After playing 'clean' for quite a while, ive decided to look into a new pedal board, that is where you lot come in.

I wan't some recommendations on some effects to buy.

Im completely open to suggestions and will consider almost anything. I do however want an overdrive/fuzz pedal that i can get a good Queens of the stone age sound out of. I also think i want either a wah or an auto wah as well as something a little quirky :)

thanks
Dan

It sounds like you're a little un sure. When it comes to experimenting with effects, the cheapest way to go is multi-effects.

If you're not sure if you want an auto-wah or a pedal wah, then something like a used B2.1U would help you find out what you're craving for a lot less than buying two decent single pedals.

Also, multi-effects seem to be getting better and better. The new Line6 stuff looks great, although i've not had the chance to try yet.

i'll mainly be checking out sound clips etc of any suggestions first, which usually sees me right as far as pedal selection goes. normally i pick pedals based how i see them fitting into my live sound.

i do agree multi effects would be the cheaper option though, although not something that interests me. thanks anyway though :)

Edited by Killstarz

if you are looking for a qotsa type sound - the tech 21 vt bass will get you close to Nick Oliveri's sound, although i see you have
ampeg gear already!

wah wise there are what i would class as prime candidates (Dunlop 105Q, Morley dual bass wah, and Ibanez weeping demon) in terms of mass produced choices, and plenty of more boutique options.

really it's a case of try as many as you can and then make your decision based on what your ears tell you. you tube offers lots of clips of these in action, which might give you some idea where to start.

I'd recommend you check out the MXR pedals, they're well built, quiet and the effects are great. They have a youtube channel, search for MXR that has lots of rundown videos of the effects and audio clips on the dunlop website. +1 on the Morley Dual Bass Wah, it's an ace wah pedal.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='740121' date='Feb 9 2010, 04:30 PM']if you are looking for a qotsa type sound - the tech 21 vt bass will get you close to Nick Oliveri's sound, although i see you have
ampeg gear already![/quote]

Yeh, get a booster to distort your amp!

Well it would be logic for you to try an mini multi like the zoom b2.1u! If you think that a decision made based on a soundclip or a youtube video is enough than you might be in for a shock! When it comes to effects they are so different with anither amp ir a bass or anything for that fact so the purpose of buying the zoom would be to test what you like and what works for you, sell the zoom to someone and buy separate stompboxes! Simples....

[quote name='Doddy' post='740565' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:23 AM']I really dig the EMMA pedals. The DiscumBOBulator is a great envelope filter(auto way),
and the ReezaFRATzitz is a seriously underrated overdrive/distortion.[/quote]

for distortion I would recimment the tech 21 bass xxl, awesome pedal with no volume drop off.
+1 for the mxr bass auto Q for wah effect.
I have both of these.
I tried boss effects and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
Cheers
thebassman

[quote name='xgsjx' post='740456' date='Feb 9 2010, 10:55 PM']Do you plan on permanently having some OD on your bass? If so then try an MF-101. I can't rate it high enough, but like I've said in other posts, some folk think it's a tone sucker, I don't.[/quote]
No, just for the odd song or 2. Was thinking about the Bass big muff as i'm after more fuzz than distortion?

[quote name='Doddy' post='740565' date='Feb 10 2010, 02:23 AM']I really dig the EMMA pedals. The DiscumBOBulator is a great envelope filter(auto way),
and the ReezaFRATzitz is a seriously underrated overdrive/distortion.[/quote]

I quite fancy an envelope filter pedal, i'll check that out. cheers.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='740737' date='Feb 10 2010, 10:41 AM']for cost effective fuzziness, the Bass big muff can't be beaten really.[/quote]

I'm having a lot of fun with mine. Using it on two songs now and the rest of the band like it too. The dry setting makes it very useable.

As I'm convinced I will buy one from him someday - 3LeafAudio Groove Regulator.

You'll have to get it in from America though, but for a brand new pedal the damage isn't actually too bad, as it works out as £145 shipped at the current exchange rate. If you check out some youtube videos you'll see/hear it, especially look out for some of the clever stuff that it can do if you put something in its effects loop, such as a drum machine (or your drummer lol). It's a clone of another pedal by the way.

[quote name='51m0n' post='740969' date='Feb 10 2010, 01:37 PM']Maxon AF-9 is supposedly very close to the holy grail of env filters (the original Mutron III)[/quote]

I bought one of these to replace my Boss AW-2 on the strength of such claims. I never quite got into it though, as as auto-filters don't feature in my sound at the moment it sits in its box under the bed.

[quote name='The Twickerman' post='742469' date='Feb 11 2010, 08:02 PM']I bought one of these to replace my Boss AW-2 on the strength of such claims. I never quite got into it though, as as auto-filters don't feature in my sound at the moment it sits in its box under the bed.[/quote]

i had the MXR bass auto Q, to be honest I thought it was weak, very limited on options and the 'shimmer' effect a rather rubbush gimmick. i sold it and got a maxon AF-9. This was very very good, but have hardly used it as i'm just not playing that sort of music any more. funnily enough, have one for sale (boxed, PERFECT condition) in th effects for sale threads somewhere :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='740923' date='Feb 10 2010, 12:58 PM']Oh my, now you've hit the world of hurt face first :)[/quote]

:rolleyes:

There's almost no likelihood of having just one filter either. I've got four at the moment and were it not for terrific feats of self-control I'd have more.

Envelope control won't be enough, you'll want ADSR, you'll want footpedal control, you'll probably want tap-tempo LFO control and sample & hold control.

Then you'll want a formant filter, and a band-pass filter, and...