Why become a member? ×

GRAMMA Pads - GROUP BUY!

john_the_bass

[color="#FF0000"][b]GROUP BUY - I'll add a list of who wants one to the bottom of this post so I can keep track of it![/b][/color]

I know this topic has been covered over and over again but by God, what a simple yet very effective bit of kit.
I ordered one last week for use by the bassist in the band I play guitar in - we have had a lot of problems at one particular venue that has a 4" high stage that just seems to suck bass into it and then boom and feedback with every note played below a certain frequency. This is picked up by the vocal mics and then pushed through the PA and monitors and it was just turning into a nightmare - I had read a lot about GRAMMA pads on here and thought I should try one.

We tried the pad at practice (carpeted, stone floor) and noticed a difference even there, but when we took it to the gig, all the bass booming and feedback problems were completely eliminated. There was no more feedback, no more booming noise, the bottom end was much much tighter - the bass sounded great with the amp set completely flat and didn't seem to need to be pushed as hard. I think it actually improved the overall sound of the band too and I am so happy I bought one.

I got it from a shop seller on ebay who was offering free delivery and I think it cost me £43. I could have probably bought a bit of 15mm ply, a bit of Platfoam and some Maplin carpet for half that price, but I would have had to go and buy all the tools to put it together and it just wasn't worth it - I'd actually have paid double for one if I had known it was going to make such a difference.

Anybody who is thinking of buying one should get one now - a must have I reckon!

[b]Group buyers

john_the_bass
chris_b
niceguyhomer
Pikefloyd
Musicman20
Toasted
Happy Jack
Pantherairsoft
Jacklondon
JJTee
dave_bass5
misrule
stingray5[/b]

Edited by john_the_bass

I got a strip of Platfoam and cut it into 2 slats to sit the cab on, much like the 'feet' on the GRAMMA, just without the platform for it to sit on. I have noticed a slight reduction in vibration to the floor, and tightness of the bottom end. The vibrations and booming are still a bit more than id like so I'm thinking the step up to a GRAMMA may be in order soon.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='739831' date='Feb 9 2010, 11:50 AM']..thinking about it, how squishy are these? Would a couple of 2x10s stacked end-on-end with a lead sled head on top be as stable as it would be on the floor?[/quote]

IIRC the spec sheet says they will support upto 300lbs. I don't weigh 300lbs but I know I am heavier than a big 115 combo - I stood on the pad and coulnd't compress the foam to the floor. I would't be too concerned about sticking 2 210s on it.

My cab is exactly the same length as the GRAMMA, but 2" deeper, meaning it would overhand by an inch at the front and back. Any users of the GRAMMA feel this would be an issue? Would I need to spend considerably more on the Great GRAMMA to ensure I had some clearance all the way around?

Cheers!

Got mine on a deal at LMS last year, about £25 as I recall which was another reason I dived in.

First time I used it we were down to a three piece and I took the stack off in the break 'cos the bass had disappeared, BUT I did persevere and now use it all the time.