Why become a member? ×

Random pic of my bass

ped

I have recently got hold of a really nice lens for low light photography, so I thought what better way to try it than on some bass in a chair pics?

Here is one I just snapped... the lens is manual focus so it took a few tries to get it right because despite my magnifying eyepiece it is harder to focus in low light!

ped

Shame the bass isn't straight in the chair, the legs of the chair aren't rotated to be square with the wall and the skirting board isn't straight along the bottom of the pic... and the bass shadows could be removed too. I'll get there one day..

[quote name='ped' post='736791' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:28 PM']I have recently got hold of a really nice lens for low light photography, so I thought what better way to try it than on some bass in a chair pics?

Here is one I just snapped... the lens is manual focus so it took a few tries to get it right because despite my magnifying eyepiece it is harder to focus in low light!

ped

Shame the bass isn't straight in the chair, the legs of the chair aren't rotated to be square with the wall and the skirting board isn't straight along the bottom of the pic... and the bass shadows could be removed too. I'll get there one day..[/quote]
Ped i often want to do this as..like you i have nothing better to do..he he..lovely Vigier...i often have wondered waht these sound like??

here's my Sei for a change..with 3 more..my old Fender, Yamaha, shouldnt have let these basses go...and the love of my life cat..

Edited by bubinga5

Thanks - I might do another tomorrow without the shadows of the chair leg and wall if I can!

Oh I always have a ratio of about 1 'good' pic for every 10 taken!!

The bass has been modded a fair bit to be honest, it has a Marleaux preamp and Basstec pickups (these were installed as the bass was basically an empty shell originally) and I recently added the Roland GK pickup and output on the side of the bass which you can sort of make out. She's a mongrel alright!

ped

[quote name='bubinga5' post='736801' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:38 PM']Ped i often want to do this as..like you i have nothing better to do..he he..lovely Vigier...i often have wondered waht these sound like??

here's my Sei for a change..with 3 more..my old Fender, Yamaha, shouldnt have let these basses go...and the love of my life cat..[/quote]

Lovely Sei - it's hard to find a good background for a bass pic.. I have an idea I'll try this weekend, but there's nothing wrong with a classic 'bass on the bed' shot :0p

ped

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='736809' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:43 PM']FWD to my psychiatrist, he'll be in touch. :lol:[/quote]

:) :rolleyes:
I seriously have nothing better to do. How sad is that. I even sat on the flor for this pic like some bored bedroom paparazzi idiot

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='736820' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:55 PM']It's a nice pic, don't go all OCD over it. I don't usually like Vigiers but that particular one is really nice. Maybe it's because you take so many nice photographs of it - maybe in the flesh I would be all "Eww!" :)[/quote]

It's French so Brits are predisposed to hate it automatically! If you heard me play it you would probably be bed ridden for days, in a bad way.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='736801' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:38 PM']Ped i often want to do this as..like you i have nothing better to do..he he..lovely Vigier...i often have wondered waht these sound like??[/quote]
Wonder no more, here are a couple of clips! I have posted these before so sorry for posting again, I'll have some more crap tunes soon as I'm in the studio next week.
[url="https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85432/USB%203/Canti%27s%20Wrap.mp3"]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85432/USB%203/Canti%27s%20Wrap.mp3[/url]
[url="https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85432/USB%203/Sticky%20Situation.mp3"]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85432/USB%203/Stic...20Situation.mp3[/url]

[quote name='bubinga5' post='736801' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:38 PM']here's my Sei for a change..with 3 more..my old Fender, Yamaha, shouldnt have let these basses go...and the love of my life cat..[/quote]
B5, yeh I do like your Sei Jazz. Would like to have viewed the other three pics too, but they all opened at the same size as the thumbnail! :) :lol:

Ped - I'm curious as to what lens you got yourself. I'm assuming a 1.4, or even a 1.2, aperture? :rolleyes:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='736851' date='Feb 6 2010, 12:24 AM']I want to get into this arty photography stuff but I have no idea where I would start equipment wise, any recommendations?[/quote]
You could get arty with even the cheapest of compacts (well, almost :rolleyes: ) but it's as much a case of working on technique and developing your own style.
Here's three I made earlier! :)

[quote name='Stingray5' post='736849' date='Feb 6 2010, 12:20 AM']Ped - I'm curious as to what lens you got yourself. I'm assuming a 1.4, or even a 1.2, aperture? :)[/quote]
Having tracked down the exposure info on Photobucket, it was 1/25s at ISO 800, so 1.4 sounds like a reasonable guess, depending on the light level. Maybe 1.8?

Ped: if that was hand-held, kudos to you. I can't get a clear shot any slower than 1/60s (I probably just need to lay off the caffeine). Double-kudos for a clear hand-held shot at 1/25s with manual focus. :rolleyes:

Hi dudes

Thanks for all the nice comments. It was indeed ISO 800 (this camera seems to have a 'sweetspot' at 800) and shutter at 1/25 and the aperture is 2.0.

The lens is an old Pentax Asahi fixed 55mm f2. Only cost me about £50 and it's a really great lens, and has to be used in manual mode which is forcing me to learn what works fast. It also helps me with the 1950s film 35mm camera my grandfather gave me which again is all manual.

My camera isn't anything special, a Samsung GX1L DSLR. One day I'll upgrade to the GX20. The 'kit' lenses are great too, an 18-55 and a 50-200. The samsung cameras are basically slightly modified versions of the Pentax models. I like 'em and it's a bit different from the Canon/Nikon club!

ped

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='736963' date='Feb 6 2010, 09:56 AM']Having tracked down the exposure info on Photobucket, it was 1/25s at ISO 800, so 1.4 sounds like a reasonable guess, depending on the light level. Maybe 1.8?
Ped: if that was hand-held, kudos to you. I can't get a clear shot any slower than 1/60s (I probably just need to lay off the caffeine). Double-kudos for a clear hand-held shot at 1/25s with manual focus. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Thanks BE :)

[quote name='ped' post='736996' date='Feb 6 2010, 10:53 AM']Hi dudes

Thanks for all the nice comments. It was indeed ISO 800 (this camera seems to have a 'sweetspot' at 800) and shutter at 1/25 and the aperture is 2.0.

The lens is an old Pentax Asahi fixed 55mm f2. Only cost me about £50 and it's a really great lens, and has to be used in manual mode which is forcing me to learn what works fast. It also helps me with the 1950s film 35mm camera my grandfather gave me which again is all manual.

My camera isn't anything special, a Samsung GX1L DSLR. One day I'll upgrade to the GX20. The 'kit' lenses are great too, an 18-55 and a 50-200. The samsung cameras are basically slightly modified versions of the Pentax models. I like 'em and it's a bit different from the Canon/Nikon club!

ped[/quote]
Pentax was my first 'serious' system back in the day and I had that same 55mm f2 standard lens on a Spotmatic F SLR.
That camera had such a solid feel to it too, as does most of the 35mm gear. Mind you, for solid, also read 'heavy! :lol:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='736884' date='Feb 6 2010, 01:06 AM']Ooh they're nice pic.

Hey Ped I just looked at my Thumb on the way into the room and actually the shape's not that much different to your Vigier, pickup positions aren't that different either, maybe I ought to like them more.[/quote]

Yes you should young man!

[quote name='Sibob' post='736982' date='Feb 6 2010, 10:30 AM']Nice one Ped!

I look forward to you using your lens on my lil collection soon! :)

Si[/quote]

Me too Si, should be fun. I'm moving very soon so will be in touch for a 'photoshoot'!!

Hi Wayne

Looks good - nice idea. The main thing I find that really improves a pic is the area around the subject. A simple floor is fine but it doesn't help 'pop' the instrument. Think about shadows, depth of field (the distance in focus behind and in front of the subject) and the composition. Also attention to detail (removing random items in the frame, straightening things up) make the pic much neater to look at.

Try that pic again from directly above and see if you can clear a bigger space of floor so nothing else is in the frame. A nice wooden floor might look nicer too perhaps.

Cheers
ped

P.s I don't now what I think gives me the right to give advice!

[quote name='ped' post='737945' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:37 AM']Hi Wayne

Looks good - nice idea. The main thing I find that really improves a pic is the area around the subject. A simple floor is fine but it doesn't help 'pop' the instrument. Think about shadows, depth of field (the distance in focus behind and in front of the subject) and the composition. Also attention to detail (removing random items in the frame, straightening things up) make the pic much neater to look at.

Try that pic again from directly above and see if you can clear a bigger space of floor so nothing else is in the frame. A nice wooden floor might look nicer too perhaps.

Cheers
ped

P.s I don't now what I think gives me the right to give advice![/quote]

Because you're better at it than me, I'm at the very beginning I'm looking forward to getting a proper camera.