Why become a member? ×

Lots of Super J basses, where are the Super P basses?

NJE

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='736170' date='Feb 5 2010, 01:46 PM']Stingrays?

:)

G.[/quote]

This sums it up perfectly for me. Indeed, as I understand it, the Ray was to be a modernised super P bass when it was designed. For me, the Precision is utterly useless. Move the pickup lower and generally make it more playable and better looking and suddenly you've got a winner!

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='736178' date='Feb 5 2010, 01:51 PM']It'd be like putting Carlos Fandango Wonder Wheels on a Transit van.[/quote]

+1 !! I remember those :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo"]YouTube[/url]

Edited by discreet

Here ya go:

<smug>Mine</smug>

For me, it takes the whole P bass simplicity thing a step further by getting rid of the tone ot. Just pickups, a volume pot and a jack socket. Sounds like it sounds, if you dont like it then tough! :)

EDIT: forgot to add, the pickup is a little further south than on a standard Fender P, so it sounds grindy but just that little bit brighter.

Edited by Mikey R

I think if you look at recent additions to basses like the S1 switching from about 4 years ago, they tended to be things that worked well on Jazz basses but were a bit redundant on a P-bass.

I've already nailed my colours to the mast many times on my views of P-basses (pro, for any first time readers) but I can't help but wonder if the P was perfected in the 50s. Granted other basses have come along since but the P does what it does. Not for everyone granted but great for those who like what they do. P basses are super enough for me as they are

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Mikey R' post='744843' date='Feb 14 2010, 03:54 PM']Here ya go:

<smug>Mine</smug>

For me, it takes the whole P bass simplicity thing a step further by getting rid of the tone ot. Just pickups, a volume pot and a jack socket. Sounds like it sounds, if you dont like it then tough! :)

EDIT: forgot to add, the pickup is a little further south than on a standard Fender P, so it sounds grindy but just that little bit brighter.[/quote]

That looks hot.

[quote name='andyjingram' post='896394' date='Jul 16 2010, 11:26 AM']I know I'm digging up an old thread here, but if 'Super-P' come from the same train of thought as 'Super-strat' then surely these babies are Super P's!

I have taken to an odd fascination with these sort of basses just lately. A sort of so-bad-it's-good vibe. I stop short of wishing to play one with a single, fingerless weightlifting glove on my right hand though.[/quote]

but the P pickup's on backwards and that always looks wrong to me...

[quote name='andyjingram' post='896430' date='Jul 16 2010, 12:02 PM']I think there are officially 'wronger' things about these basses than that! :)

Your comment is the essense of this discussion I think. I believe the change over is an 'improvement' to get better tonal balance across the strings. A Super-P pickup placement as it were. Of course it is no longer the perfectly fantastic P pickup placement, and opinion is automatically divided! Or split, I suppose, but then, I'm not a punning man.

Now you mention it, I hadn't noticed that before- I'd be interested to try a reverse pickup config. , as all my basses are standard P-type ones.[/quote]

I imagine the numbers of people who can tell the sonic difference, in a blind test, could be counted on the fingers of one foot...

[quote name='andyjingram' post='896458' date='Jul 16 2010, 12:31 PM']So long as that's not a Norfolk foot! :)

Sorry Norfolk-ites. It is a stock answer based on a very old stereotype. Contents of this post are purely fictional, any resemblance to persons living or dead is coincedental, content does not represent the opinions of blah blah blah.[/quote]

Brave!

[quote name='jonthebass' post='896502' date='Jul 16 2010, 01:17 PM']Super P you say?
For me it begins and ends here - Lakland USA Bob Glaub:
[/quote]

lovely, but it is essentually a Fender P bass made (copied?) my someone else isnt it?

I think the thing with them is that built as they were (from 1957) they did the job they were supposed to. They sit in the mix a certain way, are very simple and sound a certain way.
The P bass tone will not be improved by changing it.

In the same way i think a stingray is one of thoes complete basses which have the look and tone and cant really be improved much (although they do stick more pups on them now dont they?) but essentially if you want that sound you buy that bass.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='896502' date='Jul 16 2010, 01:17 PM']Super P you say?
For me it begins and ends here - Lakland USA Bob Glaub:
[/quote]

and before i get all the lakland owners hot under the collar the website says:

"The design goal? Manufacture a bass that "sounds and feels like a broken-in pre-CBS Fender.""

I suppose my Fender Precision Plus would have counted as a super P back in the late 80s/early 90s; fine tune Schaller bridge, P/J pickups, TBX pre-amp and extended upper horn. I like it anyway.

[url="http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f116/wilfyboy/?action=view&current=DSCF1046-1.jpg"][/url]

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='896544' date='Jul 16 2010, 02:06 PM']lovely, but it is essentually a Fender P bass made (copied?) my someone else isnt it?

I think the thing with them is that built as they were (from 1957) they did the job they were supposed to. They sit in the mix a certain way, are very simple and sound a certain way.
The P bass tone will not be improved by changing it.[/quote]

That's the point of the thread I believe (My memory is not what it... er, what was I saying?)

The point of the Super P is to make a bass that achieves what Leo had in mind but using the modern stuff and less constrained by the Fender "as cheap as we can manage it" approach to things.
You'll never (again) have the pleasure of playing a brand new Pre-CBS precision freshly made by Fender USA and few of us have the option of owning a played in vesion of a good one from that period.

Super P's and Super J's are about getting that kind of experience from a new instrument.
Now the latest Fender P basses (and US re-issues) may achieve that but things like the Lakland and Shuker JJB are looking to do "Precision bass but better".

[quote name='andyjingram' post='896585' date='Jul 16 2010, 02:49 PM']I would say so! That's an interesting little amp there by the way. What model is it?[/quote]
It's a Marshall 3505 Bass Micro Stack, I bought it in about '89 and recently rescued it from my loft only to shove it back up there for (most likely) a few more years.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='896547' date='Jul 16 2010, 02:11 PM']and before i get all the lakland owners hot under the collar the website says:

"The design goal? Manufacture a bass that "sounds and feels like a broken-in pre-CBS Fender.""[/quote]

+1