Why become a member? ×

A suggestion for this forum...

Bassassin

A lot of the gear being sold here is bulky, heavy and not-at-all Postie-friendly, so understandably is collection only.

It would make it a lot easier - and less heartbreaking - to know where the gear is first, without reading through lists of mouthwatering specs & insane bargain prices - only to find the amp or cab is 460 miles away...

So go on - tell us where you are in the topic sub-heading. :)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='731645' date='Feb 1 2010, 01:14 PM']A lot of the gear being sold here is bulky, heavy and not-at-all Postie-friendly, so understandably is collection only.

It would make it a lot easier - and less heartbreaking - to know where the gear is first, without reading through lists of mouthwatering specs & insane bargain prices - only to find the amp or cab is 460 miles away...

Jon.[/quote]

Or maybe, you could out your actual location in your profile as apose to "behind your sofa" ?

[quote name='MB1' post='731688' date='Feb 1 2010, 01:35 PM']MB1. :)
...I believe Jake has you there! :rolleyes:[/quote]
I don't believe he does, for the following reasons:

If your location was in the listing sub it would appear on the forum topic list.

I'm not presently selling an amp or cab so it doesn't apply.

I [b]am[/b] behind Jake's sofa.

J.

If I list anything for sale, I put my location in the thread. I also think there's a case for putting your actual location in the profile in the first place.
I think if the location is in the sub-header it may put people who are a long way away off buying the said amp/cab. I don't think enough people are prepared to consider shipping amps and cabs - OK, so with insurance it might cost anywhere between £20 - £50 with somebody like p4d or interparcel, but there's no reason why it can't be done.

Edited to correct a post that didn't make any sense due to missing words and bad grammar.

Edited by john_the_bass

[quote name='Bassassin' post='731702' date='Feb 1 2010, 01:46 PM']I don't believe he does, for the following reasons:

If your location was in the listing sub it would appear on the forum topic list.

I'm not presently selling an amp or cab so it doesn't apply.

I [b]am[/b] behind Jake's sofa.

J.[/quote]

MB1. :)
...Yes!... but he has a Television Licence?

[quote name='Bassassin' post='731645' date='Feb 1 2010, 01:14 PM']A lot of the gear being sold here is bulky, heavy and not-at-all Postie-friendly, so understandably is collection only.

Jon.[/quote]

This idea ties in with putting a price on stuff for sale too. As much info that can be used to sell gear is beneficial to all parties interested.

[quote name='mybass' post='731726' date='Feb 1 2010, 01:57 PM']This idea ties in with putting a price on stuff for sale too. As much info that can be used to sell gear is beneficial to all parties interested.[/quote]

+ Seven and Twelvety!

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='731679' date='Feb 1 2010, 01:31 PM']Or maybe, you could out your actual location in your profile as apose to "behind your sofa" ?[/quote]

I'm with Mr Tenfloors - first thing I do when browsing the classifieds is glance across to the members profile for a location.

If anyone posts an ad. to sell something and don't include relevant details useful to prostective buyers - and as a result their goodies don't sell - tough titty , no skin off my nose. I think this post may well be a good heads up to such sellers but I don't see any real reason to make it a rule of posting or something - would think the mods have enough to do editing out folk writing **** is a ******* ****.

He is too !!!

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='731716' date='Feb 1 2010, 01:51 PM']If I list anything for sale, I put my location in the thread. I also think there's a case for putting your actual location in the profile again.
I think the location is in the sub-header it may put people who are a long way away off buying the said amp/cab. I don't think enough people are prepared to consider shipping it - OK, so with insurance it might cost anywhere between £20 - £50 with somebody like p4d or interparcel, but there's no reason why it can't be done.[/quote]
+1 I really can't understand (other than laziness) why so many folk list items as collect only (ebay is especially bad) it's almost like they don't want to sell their gear. It's real easy to box things up and organise collection - in fact I enjoy it (as anyone who's bought anything big off me will testify). I think it is well ignorant to expect that this forum is just for people that live in 50 mile radius of yourself. Ok the shipping adds a bit to the final cost but it is easily recouped when you sell the item on again.
Having said that all, I've sold gear on here when alternatives are readily available only because the alternatives won't ship.... also I think you can make intuitive judgements on the condition of an item who's seller can't be arsed to ship. So it's swings and roundabouts for me.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='731743' date='Feb 1 2010, 02:20 PM']+1 I really can't understand (other than laziness) why so many folk list items as collect only (ebay is especially bad) it's almost like they don't want to sell their gear. It's real easy to box things up and organise collection - in fact I enjoy it (as anyone who's bought anything big off me will testify). I think it is well ignorant to expect that this forum is just for people that live in 50 mile radius of yourself. Ok the shipping adds a bit to the final cost but it is easily recouped when you sell the item on again.
Having said that all, I've sold gear on here when alternatives are readily available only because the alternatives won't ship.... also I think you can make intuitive judgements on the condition of an item who's seller can't be arsed to ship. So it's swings and roundabouts for me.[/quote]

Theres Nothing wrong with "Try Before You Buy!"...it can be quite difficult trying to find a mains socket half way round the M25?

[quote name='MB1' post='731754' date='Feb 1 2010, 02:30 PM']MB1. :)
Theres Nothing wrong with "Try Before You Buy!"...it can be quite difficult trying to find a mains socket half way round the M25?[/quote]
+10000 but in some circumstances (like living 500+ miles away from the world epicentre :rolleyes:) it might be a tad unfeasible.

Which is why "collect [b]only[/b]" ads lose out.

I've never understood why people don't simply put their location in their 'from' profile?

Do they think someone will come to their local town / city, set up a noise meter to track down the location of any bass playing & then steal their gear?

I'm pretty sure that behind your sofa is not miles away so why not collect it.

And in the same way that you want the sellers to put the location on the title why not dropping them a pm if you are really interested and want it delivered. Although most people would prefer not to have the hassle allowances can be made.

[quote name='davidmpires' post='731833' date='Feb 1 2010, 03:37 PM']I'm pretty sure that behind your sofa is not miles away so why not collect it.

And in the same way that you want the sellers to put the location on the title why not dropping them a pm if you are really interested and want it delivered. Although most people would prefer not to have the hassle allowances can be made.[/quote]
What exactly is this "it" you're talking about? I am making a general suggestion which I thought might be of benefit to anyone browsing the Amps & Cabs For Sale section & trying to find something that was reasonably near to them.

"Behind My Sofa", since you ask, happens to be Edinburgh, which broadly speaking is a motherf*ck of a lot of miles away from about 95% of any of the gear being sold on BC. I have no problem with collecting things if they are within a reasonable distance - however since my modes of transport are either a pushbike or a 2.8 litre 4x4, driving 300+ mile round-trips isn't exactly cost-effective.

All of which is irrelevant because it's actually [i]not[/i] about me.

[attachment=41625:christonabike.jpg]

J.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='731936' date='Feb 1 2010, 05:16 PM']Well, on the left is where I live. When I sell something like an amp/bass over say £100.00
I prefer to meet person,they try out, like it,deal done. No whining afterwards.[/quote]
So you'd put "Collection only from Twickenham" in the box under the title of your thread. Easy, surely?

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='731968' date='Feb 1 2010, 05:46 PM']So you'd put "Collection only from Twickenham" in the box under the title of your thread. Easy, surely?

J.[/quote]

But it's alot easier to just have you location on your profile. You only have to do it once, and you'll never forget or have to write it in any title

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='731976' date='Feb 1 2010, 05:52 PM']But it's alot easier to just have you location on your profile. You only have to do it once, and you'll never forget or have to write it in any title[/quote]
You're missing the point. Go & read my initial post - it's not hard. :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='731996' date='Feb 1 2010, 06:12 PM']You're missing the point. Go & read my initial post - it's not hard. :)

J.[/quote]

I'm not missing anything,

It takes less than half a second to click on a thread, then you can glance at the thread starters location before reading the description of whether the item will be posted or not. Not hard.