Why become a member? ×

A suggestion for this forum...

Bassassin

Either in the profile or topic sub-heading would be helpful. It is frustrating when your reading an ad and you have no idea where that person is. I don't particularly want to have keep asking.
Not that it makes much difference to me, because if its collect only everyone seems to live a million miles away from me if they've got something I want to buy.

[quote name='largo' post='732086' date='Feb 1 2010, 07:21 PM']Nah, i'm with Jake on this. Should really just put it in your profile. If it's in the same place for everyone then it's easy.[/quote]
Plenty of people (including me, clearly) don't and aren't likely to, though.

And children - [i]that's not the point[/i]. Pretty much everyone who's selling something has typed something into the little sub-heading box - what's so outrageous about also saying where the thing you're selling actually is?

I'm not interested in having an argument, certainly not about this. It just seemed like a good idea. Still does, as it happens.

Bye.

J.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='731743' date='Feb 1 2010, 02:20 PM']+1 I really can't understand (other than laziness) why so many folk list items as collect only (ebay is especially bad) it's almost like they don't want to sell their gear. It's real easy to box things up and organise collection - in fact I enjoy it (as anyone who's bought anything big off me will testify). I think it is well ignorant to expect that this forum is just for people that live in 50 mile radius of yourself. Ok the shipping adds a bit to the final cost but it is easily recouped when you sell the item on again.
Having said that all, I've sold gear on here when alternatives are readily available only because the alternatives won't ship.... also I think you can make intuitive judgements on the condition of an item who's seller can't be arsed to ship. So it's swings and roundabouts for me.[/quote]

That`s a mental statement. People list it as collect only due to laziness?. Well ignorant? I have put stuff for sale on here as collect due to the fact I work all week and don`t have the time to post or the packaging materials to pack the stuff with. I also had a bad experiance a couple of years ago when stuff I sent went walkies: no end of hassle.
I also advertise the stuff on gumtree and that`s where I sell most of my gear. I only put it on here to see if anyone local wants it and I like people to try before they buy. If you don`t want to collect the gear from the buyer, then don`t buy it.

But I agree with Jon, stick the location in the heading.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='732364' date='Feb 1 2010, 10:49 PM']That`s a mental statement. People list it as collect only due to laziness?. Well ignorant? I have put stuff for sale on here as collect due to the fact I work all week and don`t have the time to post or the packaging materials to pack the stuff with. I also had a bad experiance a couple of years ago when stuff I sent went walkies: no end of hassle.....[/quote]
Hey man horses for courses.
To answer the points you have raised though.
You can arrange for the courier to collect items from you work if you wish.
There are a multitude of places where you can pick up free packing materials. Retailers are always chucking out cardboard boxes. If you don't have a box big enough, make one.
If you send you items insured there's no problem if the item gets damaged or goes walkabout.

And I said it would be ignorant to presume that your buying market is based only in your locality.

Peace bro.

my opinion is that sellers should just have their real location under their avatar, confusion gone, and permeneant rather than having to say it in every sale thread...(not having a go at you jon, just generally speaking)

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' post='732391' date='Feb 1 2010, 11:17 PM']my opinion is that sellers should just have their real location under their avatar, confusion gone, and permeneant rather than having to say it in every sale thread...[/quote]
Then why have you just got a famous bass manufacturer in yours? :)

[quote name='Kev' post='732391' date='Feb 1 2010, 11:17 PM']my opinion is that sellers should just have their real location under their avatar, confusion gone, and permeneant rather than having to say it in every sale thread...(not having a go at you jon, just generally speaking)[/quote]
I think that's a different point, though. I don't and have no intention of changing mine, because if I were selling anything I wasn't willing to post (note: this has never happened and probably never will) my thread title would say "collection only from Behind Your Couch". That way, somebody from the Isle Of Wight wouldn't need to bother to click the topic and wade through my reams of hyperbole and gloriously GASeous photos before finding out they couldn't have it.

I think it's more courtesy than anything else.

On the other hand, as a shameless Gyppo I'm quite happy to post anything to anyone, anywhere as long as they'll either cover the full post cost, plus a couple of quid for materials, or organise their own courier. A lot of people (most, in the case of amps) don't and won't do this - which is their prerogative IMO. And I think that's a different discussion, too

J.

The question of whether to post or not depends on how comfortable the individual is to pack something securely enough to last the trip to its new owner and not burst into flames when it gets there.

I've posted so much stuff that I've lost count of it all and its second nature now. I could probably, at a push pack my 8x10" (original box was used to post a trace 1x15") but would rather deliver within reason as the cheapest quote i can find is £72. At 25p a mile, you could live as far away as 140 miles away from me before it became cheaper to post.

Then again, as people have said previously, not everyone has a car, the time or the will to post something large.

I think its a good idea to list where you are in your thread or at the very least at the beginning of your listing to avoid the type of GAS where you are unable to act on it (whether that's good or bad)

man, I'm really beginning to wander now. nurse? nurse?