Why become a member? ×

Right Then, Here Goes....

Hot Tub

LOL @ bilbo! That did actually make me laugh out loud!

Thank you everyone for your support. I'm definitely going to do it for 2 simple reasons: First, I'll hate myself if I don't, and second, I can't let Mrs HT down.

So, just one drink beforehand? That'll be a pint. Whisky. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, thank you to everyone. I will let you know what happens...........

:)

+1 on everything said so far.

They say you never forget your first time! This takes me back to the first time I popped my performing cherry, which was last week. I've been playing in solitude on and off for 15 years and decided about a year ago that playing bass and not performing with other musicians is like buying a computer and never connecting to the internet, useful but ultimatley your missing out on the main point of it all. One aborted band and a couple of rehersals later and it was my time to get up at the local jam night. The guy passed me the house bass and I stared at the fret board blankly, the count started and we were off. It happened and a few notes were fluffed... but not by me! Our three songs later and I exited the stage ASAP to polite applause and hit the bar. As I passed my money to the barmaid I noticed I was shaking like a leaf.

I likened it to losing your teenage virginity. It just gets to the point where you want it to happen and you don't really care how. All too soon it was over and, although it wasn't great, it was still a buzz. We got up again this week for my second ever performance and we'd all improved and relaxed 100%, to the point where the audience wouldn't let us go without an encore. It didn't register at the time, but I woke up the next day with a big smile on my face. The 40 or so people there had thought it was great and I'd thought, "that wasn't so difficult and I've never enjoyed playing the bass more in my entire life".

Don't worry about the nerves, relax, enjoy and by the time you're head hits the pillow, you'll be dreaming of doing it all over again. :)

go for it!

I've been gigging for over 25 years and still get nervous (in fact more so now,than in the past!!) - the best thing is to try to relax as much as you can and if you get a memory blank during a song and think you can't remember the next part, then just switch your brain off and let your fingers do the work . 9 times out of 10 they'll find the right notes!!

the other thing (especially as you're only playing a few songs) is that it will be over almost before its begun - the time will fly and then it'll be the end and you won't want to get off!

good luck!

c

I did my first gig at 15 (47 now) I used to get nervous, but nowdays I just get excited at the thought of being in front of an audience. I have lost count of the gigs I have played, but I still make mistakes, I just don't let it get to me.

Play the song you feel most comfortable with first, I can assure you that by the second song, you won't be nervous, just thrilled. Any mistakes, unless its an absolute howler will be forgotten in an instant (if they even get noticed)

Enjoy being in the limelight!

Edited by 4-string-thing

Just one more to add to the many voices saying "GO FOR IT"! (even if you've already gone!)

And just to add...
[quote name='Huwberry' post='729599' date='Jan 30 2010, 12:39 PM']I can't think of any advice or comment that hasn't already been expressed....[/quote]
I can think of something. Go to the toilet first, in plenty of time. :)

Seriously, when I played in a band 30+ years ago as a drummer, I suffered wee nerves every night (and no I'm not scottish :rolleyes: )

Now of course, being in my 50s, I don't need nerves for that kind of problem to appear... :blush:

YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A GREAT TIME. Enjoy!!!!!

Can't add much to this thread - most of it's been said already (& I read your linked post - that's me as well - spooky!)

Try & make sure you can hear yourself. My first time up as a guest for one number after a 25 year hiatus I couldn't, & for some bizarre reason I dug in like a madman - with my LEFT hand. Subconciously I guess I thought that fretting harder would make the notes louder! Upshot was that after the number (Crossroads at 90mph) my left forearm was like an iron bar & I doubt I could have played another tune even if asked.

Place yourself so that you can see the drummer's right foot. Lock in to it.

The panic passes fairly quickly - took me a little longer to get used to it when I started going to the local Jam/Open Mic night (the first week my left leg was twitching uncontrollably!), but after a few goes it has passed.

That was two years ago. Now I find I'm getting a lot more relaxed & at ease with myself & my own abilities and starting to have a good time with it all rather than the fierce focus/concentration that I've applied up to now.

Best fun you can have with your clothes on!

Pete.

PS - for preference I'd kick off with "Work Together" - that's [i]almost[/i] impossible to balls up!

After 20 years of playing in bands I made my singing debut a few weeks ago. I was so nervous that during soundcheck we did the song I was going to be singing and I couldn't sing it.

When we did it for real during the night my arse was twitching like a rabbit's nose but the more I got into the song the better I got until by the end I was belting it out the way I should've been. Looking forward to next time, I'll still be nervous but it should be easier the more I do it.

Christ, he's going to be feeling sick as a parrot right now :)

I never get nervous anymore, not sure why, I have every reason to be. I just get a bit distracted and flighty before stage time, can't hold a decent conversation. That's because I'm anxious to get on though.

There's bugger all you can do about nerves is there. All those breathing exercises, meditation and that, all rubbish. Quick shot of brandy is what I used to do. That didn't work either.

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='730112' date='Jan 30 2010, 09:03 PM']He will if Nick H is correct![/quote]

You know it mate :)
To quote Bon Jovi (I know, I know) -
"Every little boy wants to learn to play guitar
So he can pick up all the chicks and be a rock n roll star"