Why become a member? ×

Wedding Enquiry

yorks5stringer

Just had these two emails today:

Hello,
My weeding is on the 26th of March and I would love the band to play. Get back to me if there is availability.

Thanks
James L******

to which I replied tell me more....

Hello,
I am currently not in the country. I want to hire your band
for our wedding on the 26th of March 2010 and will be having nothing
less than 100 guest. The band would play for about 6 hours, from
12:00PM to 6:00PM. My Fiance loves Jazz, R&B and soul Music so we will
like some good Jazz or Soul Music. Please, get back to me with the
cost. Like I said earlier I am currently not in the country, I am
currently at work in an oil rig so the only means of payment is my
Credit card. I hope you do have a POS machine for credit cards charges
as regards payment. Please get back to me on the costs.

Regards
James L******

I think I'll get back to him quoting £5000 ( I know, too cheap) and see how he reacts.. to me it is definitely a scam.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='724414' date='Jan 25 2010, 07:25 PM']Just had these two emails today:

Hello,
My weeding is on the 26th of March and I would love the band to play. Get back to me if there is availability.

Thanks
James L******

to which I replied tell me more....

Hello,
I am currently not in the country. I want to hire your band
for our wedding on the 26th of March 2010 and will be having nothing
less than 100 guest. The band would play for about 6 hours, from
12:00PM to 6:00PM. My Fiance loves Jazz, R&B and soul Music so we will
like some good Jazz or Soul Music. Please, get back to me with the
cost. Like I said earlier I am currently not in the country, I am
currently at work in an oil rig so the only means of payment is my
Credit card. I hope you do have a POS machine for credit cards charges
as regards payment. Please get back to me on the costs.

Regards
James L******

I think I'll get back to him quoting £5000 ( I know, too cheap) and see how he reacts.. to me it is definitely a scam.[/quote]
sounds dodgy, offer to take a cheque or bank order as deposit. i'm sure that there must be a way of transferral without sending your own bank details out..

Souns like a scam. A couple of months ago I was selling a bass on gumtree and got an e mail from someone saying that they were in Canada working but wanted to buy the bass for someone in Scotland. They wanted me to send em a paypal bill of some kind. Told em to fluck off.

I reported them to Gumtree and they agreed. Scamming ba**ards!!

Jez

Yeh.... I was selling a car recently and I got all this nonsense about sending me a cheque for 5 grand over the price and then I had to make a bank transfer to the shipping agents. I'm like fine... but you do know I'll be waiting until the bank had told me the cheque has completely cleared. Never heard from them again... funnily enough.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='724525' date='Jan 25 2010, 08:34 PM']Souns like a scam. A couple of months ago I was selling a bass on gumtree and got an e mail from someone saying that they were in Canada working but wanted to buy the bass for someone in Scotland. They wanted me to send em a paypal bill of some kind. Told em to fluck off.

I reported them to Gumtree and they agreed. Scamming ba**ards!!

Jez[/quote]

Yep...tell em to fluck off. That'll teach em.

Hi there, just signed up to the forum to let you know that this is a scam. I've had identical emails sent to me over the past couple of days. Might be worth letting everyone else on the forum know about this, and likewise, any other musicians you know to prevent them from getting ripped off by this "James Langdon" fellow.

Andy
The Forty Fives
www.thefortyfives.co.uk

[quote name='TheFortyFives' post='724548' date='Jan 25 2010, 08:54 PM']Hi there, just signed up to the forum to let you know that this is a scam. I've had identical emails sent to me over the past couple of days. Might be worth letting everyone else on the forum know about this, and likewise, any other musicians you know to prevent them from getting ripped off by this "James Langdon" fellow.

Andy
The Forty Fives
www.thefortyfives.co.uk[/quote]

That's right neighbourly of you. : Welcome to the community.

[quote name='TheFortyFives' post='724548' date='Jan 25 2010, 08:54 PM']Hi there, just signed up to the forum to let you know that this is a scam. I've had identical emails sent to me over the past couple of days. Might be worth letting everyone else on the forum know about this, and likewise, any other musicians you know to prevent them from getting ripped off by this "James Langdon" fellow.

Andy
The Forty Fives
www.thefortyfives.co.uk[/quote]
Nicely, hopefully a MOD might see this and find an appropriate place for warnings like this..

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='724530' date='Jan 25 2010, 08:37 PM']Yeh.... I was selling a car recently and I got all this nonsense about sending me a cheque for 5 grand over the price and then I had to make a bank transfer to the shipping agents. I'm like fine... but you do know I'll be waiting until the bank had told me the cheque has completely cleared. Never heard from them again... funnily enough.[/quote]

bear in mind that a cheque can bounce ages after it has been declared "cleared"

(I'm sure you had no intention of actually banking a cheque, but just so you know)

Dont waste your time over this.

I am in financial services and I am amazed how rational, serious people have the wool pulled over their eyes so easily. One client to the tune of £100K- with a boiler room scam. Main reasons fear and greed.

They come to me hoping that I can get their money back- no chance.

The old adage is right- if it sounds to good to be true.....etc

There was a message on this topic saying wait until the bank has confirmed its in your account- this is not always true- it takes a bank sometimes 14 days to find out a cheque has bounced- up til then the bank will say its cleared. Its this process that most of the scams use.

Bob

[quote name='Paul_C' post='724624' date='Jan 25 2010, 10:08 PM']bear in mind that a cheque can bounce ages after it has been declared "cleared"

(I'm sure you had no intention of actually banking a cheque, but just so you know)[/quote]

Yes... exactly my point. Ultimately it's very scummy of the banks... "your cheque has cleared. Oh, changed our minds... your problem!!"

These scammers are relying on people not knowing this, of course.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='724414' date='Jan 25 2010, 07:25 PM']Hello,
My weeding is on the 26th of March and I would love the band to play.[/quote]

Sounds like its just some bloke wanting the band to supply a bit of background music while he does the gardening lol.

Scam.

I would say yes, its the credit card bit. The email seems to make a point of only being able to pay by CC.

Im sure ive seen something like this before, ages ago but cant remember how it pans out.

Im pretty sure the OP would be out of pocket if he goes along with it.
It could well be something where the guy pays too much, then asks for the extra back but it goes to a different (his real) account. then it turns out the original card was stolen so the OP is then liable to repay the whole amount back to the credit card company.

Just a guess. I think it was called the Nigerian scam. Im sure there are plenty of others.

It could also just be a wind up by one of his mates or just a crank email.

Edited by dave_bass5